Wave-interference effects on a truncated cylinder in a channel
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The effects of channel walls on the hydrodynamic properties of a floating vertical cylinder are examined. An interior eigensolution under the cylinder is matched with an exterior eigensolution in a manner similar to Yeung . Wave effects due to an image cylinder can be conveniently expressed in terms of the coordinates of the central cylinder by the use of Graff's theorem. The infinite array results in a slowly convergent series which has to be summed with caution. Results for the heave added mass and damping of a cylinder for several geometric configurations are obtained. Also presented in the paper are results for the diffraction of incident waves about the same cylinder. The channel walls exert an important influence on the radiation and diffraction properties, the latter to a lesser extent. Such influence is characterized by the presence of “spikes” at wave frequencies corresponding to the occurrence of symmetric transverse resonant modes in the channel. An analytical solution of a three-dimensional flapper wavemaker given in the Appendix further confirms such characteristics. In the high-frequency range, the radiation properties approach those of a single cylinder. In the low-frequency limit, they exhibit a behavior similar to that of a two-dimensional horizontal cylinder heaving in water of finite depth.
- Yeung, R.W. (1981) Added mass and damping of a vertical cylinder in finite-depth waters. Applied Ocean Research 3: pp. 119-133
- Simon, M.J. (1982) Multiple scattering in arrays of axisymmetric wave-energy devices, Part 1: A matrix method using a plane-wave approximation. J. Fluid Mech. 120: pp. 1-25
- McIver, P., Evans, D.V. (1984) Approximation of wave forces on cylinder arrays. Applied Ocean Research 6: pp. 101-107
- Mavrakos, S.A., Koumoutsakos, P. (1987) Hydrodynamic interaction among vertical axisymmetric bodies restrained in waves. Applied Ocean Research 9: pp. 128-140
- Zhao, R., Faltinsen, O., Krokstad, J. R. and Aanesland, V., Wave-current interaction effects on large- volume structures, Proceedings BOSS Conference (1988) Trondheim, Norway.
- Bai, K.J. (1975) Diffraction of oblique waves by an infinite cylinder. J. Fluid Mech. 68: pp. 513-535
- Garrett, C.J.R. (1971) Wave forces on a circular dock. J. Fluid Mech. 46: pp. 129-139
- Miao, G.P., Liu, Y.Z. (1984) Hydrodynamical coefficients of a column with footing in finite-depth waters. Proc. 3rd Int. OMAE Symp.. ASME, New Orleans, Louisiana, pp. 199-205
- McIver, P. (1986) Wave forces on adjacent floating bridges. Applied Ocean Research 8: pp. 67-75
- Kagemoto, H., Yue, D.K.P. (1986) Interactions among multiple three-dimensional bodies in water waves: an exact algebraic method. J. Fluid Mech. 166: pp. 189-209
- Watson, G.N., A Treatise on the Theory of Bessel Functions, Cambridge University Press (1944).
- Spring, B.W., Monkmeyer, P.L. (1975) Interaction of plane waves with a row of cylinders. Proceedings 3rd Conf. Civil Engg. in Oceans. ASCE, Newark, Del., pp. 979-998
- Matsui, T., Shirai, T., Sugita, H., Ohmori, H., Endo, M., Ohki, K. (1986) Slowly varying wave drift forces on an articulated column; 2nd report: experiment in regular waves. J. Soc. of Naval Architects of Japan 160: pp. 185-194
- Twersky, V. (1952) Multiple scattering of radiation by an arbitrary configuration of parallel cylinders. J. Acoustical Soc. of America 24: pp. 42-46
- Bai, K.J. and Yeung, R.W., Numerical solution to free-surface flow problems, Proceedings 10th Symp. Naval Hydrodynamics, Cambridge, Mass. (1974) 609–647.
- Yeung, R.W. and Newman, J.N., Discussion paper on Paper by Sayer, P. and Ursell, F.: On the virtual mass, at long wavelengths, of a half-immersed circular cylinder heaving on water of finite depth, Proceedings 11th Symp. Naval Hydrodynamics, London (1976) 560–561.
- Thomas, G.P., The diffraction of water waves by a circular cylinder in a channel, Abstract for the 2nd International Workshop on Water Waves and Floating Bodies, Bristol, England (March 1987).
- Miles, J. (1988) Guided surface waves near cut-off. J. Fluid Mech. 189: pp. 287-300
- Gradshteyn, I.S., Ryzhik, I.M. (1965) Table of Integrals, Series and Products. Academic Press, New York
- Wehausen, J.V., Laitone, E. (1960) Surface waves, Handbuch der Physik. Springer Verlag, Berlin
- Wave-interference effects on a truncated cylinder in a channel
Journal of Engineering Mathematics
Volume 23, Issue 2 , pp 95-117
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors