The real objective of Mendel's paper: A response to Monaghan and Corcos
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Mendel's work in hybridization is ipso facto a study in inheritance. He is explicit in his interest to formulate universal generalizations, and at least in the case of the independent segregation of traits, he formulated his conclusions in the form of a law. Mendel did not discern, however, the inheritance of traits from that of the potential for traits. Choosing to study discrete non-overlapping traits, this did not hamper his efforts.
- Falk, R.: 1986, ‘What Is a Gene?’. Studies in the History and Philosophy of Science 17, 133–173.
- Fisher, R. A.: 1932, ‘Has Mendel's Work Been Rediscovered?’, Annals of Science 1, 139–172.
- Mendel, G.: 1966, ‘Experiments on Plant Hybrids’, in C. Shern and E. Sherwood (eds.), The Origin of Genetics. A Mendel Source Book, W.H. Freeman, San Francisco, pp. 1–48.
- Monaghan, F. V. and A. F. Corcos: 1990, ‘The Real Objective of Mendel's Paper’, Biology and Philosophy 5, 267–292.
- Morgan, T. H.: 1919, The Physical Basis of Heredity, J.B. Lipincott Company, Philadelphia.
- Olby, R. C.: 1979, ‘Mendel no Mendelian?’, History of Science 17, 57–72.
- Orel, V.: 1977, ‘Selection Practice and Theory of Heredity in Moravia Before Mendel’, Acta Musei Moraviae 42, 179–200.
- Orel, V.: 1984, Mendel, Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Russell, P. J.: 1980, Lecture Notes on Genetics, Blackwell, Oxford.
- Sandler, I.: 1983, ‘Pier Louis Morende Maupertius, a Precursor to Mendel?’, Journal of the History of Biology 16, 101–136.
- Suzuki, D. T. and A. F. Griffiths: 1976, An Introduction to Genetic Analysis, W.H. Freeman, San Francisco.
- Suzuki, D. T., A. F. Griffits, J. H. Miller and R. C. Lewontin: 1984, An Introduction to Genetic Analysis, W.H. Freeman, San Francisco.
- The real objective of Mendel's paper: A response to Monaghan and Corcos
Biology and Philosophy
Volume 6, Issue 4 , pp 447-451
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Hybridization and inheritance
- laws of inheritance