Growth of a thermotolerant ethanol-producing strain of Kluyveromyces marxianus on cellobiose containing media
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The thermotolerant yeast strain, Kluyveromyces marxianus 1MB 3, was shown to be capable of limited growth on cellobiose containing media at 45°C. Growth, sugar utilization and ethanol production were shown to increase in the presence of exogenously added thermostable fungal β-glucosidase. During active growth of the organism on cellobiose-containing media, β-glucosidase activity was detected in cell lysate preparations with only minor amounts of activity present in the extracellular culture filtrate. The results suggest that limitations in ethanol production by this organism during growth on cellobiose containing media may be overcome by addition of exogenously added β-glucosidase which results in increased substrate access to the biocatalytic unit.
- Asenjo,J.A., Sun,W.-H. & Spencer,J.L. (1991) Biotechnol. Bioeng. 37, 1087–1094.
- Banat,I.M., Nigram,P. & Marchant,R. (1992) World J. Microbiol. Biotech., 8, 259–263.
- Fleming,M, Barron,N., McHale,L., Marchant,R. & McHale,A.P. (1993) Biotech. Letts. 14 985–988.
- McHale,A.P. & Morrison,J. (1986) Enz. Microb. Technol. 8 749–754.
- McHale,A.P. & Coughlan,M.P. (1981) Biochim. Biophys. Acta 662 152–159.
- Miller,G.J. (1959) Anal. Biochem. 31 426–428.
- Philippidis,G.P., Smith,T.K. & Wyman,C.E. (1993) Biotech. Bioeng. 41, 846–853.
- Spindler,D.D., Wyman,C.E., Grohmann,K. & Philippidis,G.P. (1992) Biotech. Letts. 14, 403–407.
- Vallander,L. & Eriksson,K.-E.L. (1990) Adv. Biochem. Eng. 42, 63–95.
- Wyman,M., Chen,S. & Doan,K. (1992) Process Biochem. 27, 239–245.
- Xin,Z., Yimbo,Q. & Peiji,G. (1993) Enz. Microb. Technol. 15, 62–65.
- Growth of a thermotolerant ethanol-producing strain of Kluyveromyces marxianus on cellobiose containing media
Volume 16, Issue 6 , pp 625-630
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors