A derivative of Zymomonas mobilis ATCC 10988 with impared ethanol production
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A derivative of Zymomonas mobilis ATCC 10988 has been isolated from cells treated with acridine orange. This derived strain, designated CU1, was found to have markedly decreased ethanol production and concomitant glucose utilisation capabilities when grown on high concentrations of glucose. Additionally, it was found that CU1 had altered alcohol dehydrogenase activity and also lacks at least one of the natural plasmids of Z.mobilis, the 3kb species.
- Brumer, R.L. (1964). Estimation of reducing value. In Methods in carbohydrate chemistry. R.L. Whistler (Ed.) Academic Press, Volume IV, 67–71.
- Dally, E.L., Stokes, H.W. and Eveleigh, D.E. (1982). A genetic comparison of strains of Zymomonas, mobilis, by analysis of plasmid DNA. Biotechnol. Lett. 4, 91–96.
- Drainas, C., Slater, A.A., Coggins, L., Montague, P., Costa, R.G., Ledingham, W.M. and Kinghorn, J.R. (1983). Electron microscopic analysis of Zymomonas mobilis strain ATCC 10988 plasmid DNA. Biotechnol. Lett. 5, 405–408.
- Dunny, G., Funk, C. and Adsit, J. (1981). Direct stimulation of the transfer of antibiotic resistance be sex pheromones in Streptococcus faecolis. Plasmid 6, 270–278.
- Lowry, O.H., Rosebrough, N.J., Farr, A.L. and Randall, R.J. (1951). Protein measurement with the folin phenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem. 193, 265–275.
- Lee, K.J., Tribe, D.E. and Rogers, P.L. (1979). Ethanol production by Zymomonas mobils. Biotechnol. Lett. 4, 253–256.
- Skotnicki, M.L., Lee, K.J., Tribe, E.E. and Rogers, P.L. (1980). R-plasmid transfer in Zymomonas mobilis. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 40, 7–12.
- Swings, J. and deLay, J. (1977). The biology of Zymomonas. Bacteriol. Rev. 41, 1–46.
- Van Vuuren, H.J.J. and Meyer, L. (1982). Production of ethanol from Zymomonas mobilis. Biotechnol. Lett. 4, 253–256.
- Wills, C., Kratofil, P., Londo, D. and Martin, T. (1981). Characterization of the two alcohol dehydrogenases of Zymomonas mobilis. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 210, 775–785.
- A derivative of Zymomonas mobilis ATCC 10988 with impared ethanol production
Volume 6, Issue 1 , pp 37-42
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Chemistry, Division of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Ioannina, Ioannina, Greece
- 2. Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology, University of St.Andrews, KY16 9AL, St.Andrews, Fife, Scotland, UK
- 3. Department of Biochemistry, Molecular & Cellular Biology and Genetics, Athens University, T.K. 15771, Panepistemioupolis, Athens, Greece