A new contagion index to quantify spatial patterns of landscapes
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A contagion index was proposed by O'Neill et al. (1988) to quantify spatial patterns of landscapes. However, this index is insensitive to changes in spatial pattern. We present a new contagion index that corrects an error in the mathematical formulation of the original contagion index. The error is identified mathematically. The contagion indices (both original and new) are then evaluated against simulated landscapes.
- Forman, R.T.T. and Godron, M. 1986. Landscape Ecology. John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Gatrell, A.C. 1977. Complexity and redundancy in binary maps. Geogra. Analysis 9: 29–41.
- Graham, R.L., Hunsaker, C.T., O'Neill, R.V. and Jackson, B. 1991. Ecological risk assessment at the regional scale. Ecol. Appl. 1: 196–206.
- Hardy, G.H., Littlewood, J.E. and Polya, G. 1952. Inequalities. Second edition. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Li, H. 1989. Spatio-temporal pattern analysis of managed forest landscapes: a simulation approach. Dissertation, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon.
- Li, H., Franklin, J.F., Swanson, F.J. and Spies, T.A. 1992. Developing alternative forest cutting patterns: a simulation approach. Landscape Ecology (in press).
- Li, J.C.R. 1966. Numerical mathematics. Edwards Brothers, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- O'Neill, R.V., Krummel, J.R., Gardner, R.H., Sugihara, G., Jackson, B., DeAngelis, D.L., Milne, B.T., Turner, M.G., Zygmunt, B., Christensen, S.W., Dale, V.H. and Graham, R.L. 1988. Indices of landscape pattern. Landsc. Ecol. 1(3): 153–162.
- Pielou, B.C. 1975. Ecological diversity. John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Risser, P.O., Karr, J.R. and Forman, R.T.T. 1984. Landscape ecology: directions and approaches. Illinois Natural History Survey Special Publ. No. 2. Illinois Natural History Survey, Champaign, Illinois.
- Shannon, C.E. and Weaver, W. 1949. The mathematical theory of communication. University of Illinois Press, Urbana, Illinois.
- Turner, M.G. 1989. Landscape ecology: The effect of pattern on process. Ann. Rew. Ecol. Syst. 20: 171–197.
- Turner, M.G., 1990a. Spatial and temporal analysis of landscape pattern. Landsc. Ecol. 3(3/4): 153–162.
- Turner, M.G. 1990b. Spatial and temporal analysis of landscape pattern. Landsc. Ecol. 3(3/4): 153–162.
- Turner, M.G. 1990b. Landscape changes in nine rural counties of Georgia. Photogram. Engine, and Rem. Sens. 56: 379–386.
- Turner, M.G. and Ruscher, C.L. 1988. Changes in landscape patterns in Georgia, USA. Landsc. Ecol. 1: 241–251.
- Turner, M.G., O'Neill, R.V., Krummel, J.R., Gardner, R.H. and Milne, B.T. 1989. Effects of changing spatial scale on analysis of landscape pattern. Landsc. Ecol. 4(1): 21–30.
- A new contagion index to quantify spatial patterns of landscapes
Volume 8, Issue 3 , pp 155-162
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Contagion index
- spatial pattern
- information index
- landscape ecology