Quasi-symmetric designs and the Smith Normal Form
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We obtain necessary conditions for the existence of a 2 − (ν, k, λ) design, for which the block intersection sizes s 1, s 2, ..., s n satisfy s 1 ≡ s 2 ≡ ... ≡ s n ≡ s (mod p e ),where p is a prime and the exponent e is odd. These conditions are obtained from restriction on the Smith Normal Form of the incidence matrix of the design. We also obtain restrictions on the action of the automorphism group of a 2 − (ν, k, λ) design on points and on blocks.
- Calderbank, A.R. 1987. The Application of Invariant Theory to the Existence of Quasi-symmetric Designs. Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series A, 44:94–109.
- Calderbank, A.R. 1988. Geometric Invariants for Quasi-symmetric Designs. Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series A, 47:101–110.
- Calderbank, A.R., and Frankl, P. 1990. Binary codes and quasi-symmetric designs. Discrete Math., 83:201–204.
- Dembowski, P. 1968. Finite Geometries, Berlin: Springer-Verlag.
- Gleason, A.M. 1971. Weight polynomials of self-dual codes and the MacWilliams identities, in Actes Congres Internl. de Mathèmatique, 3: 211–215, Gauthier-Villars, Paris.
- Goethals, J.-M., and Seidel, J.J. 1970. Strongly regular graphs derived from combinatorial designs. Canad. J. Math., 22: 597–614.
- Lander, E.S. 1983. Symmetric Designs: An Algebraic Approach, London Math. Soc. Lecture Note Ser., Cambridge/New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Neumaier, A. 1982. Regular sets and quasi-symmetric 2-designs, in Combinatorics and Graph Theory (D. Jungnickel and K. Vedder, eds.). Lecture Notes in Mathematics, 885 New York/Berlin: Springer-Verlag, pp. 258–275.
- Ryser, H.J. 1982. The existence of symmetric block designs. J. Combin. Theory Ser. A, 32:103–105.
- Shrikhande, S.S. and Bhagwandas, 1985. Duals of incomplete block designs. J. of Indian Statistical Assoc., 3:30–37.
- Tonchev, V.D. 1986. Quasi-symmetric designs and self-dual codes. Europ. J. Combinatorics, 7:67–73.
- Quasi-symmetric designs and the Smith Normal Form
Designs, Codes and Cryptography
Volume 2, Issue 2 , pp 189-206
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors