Leukemia clusters around nuclear facilities in Britain
- Brian McMahon
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
He bas been retained for the defense by British Nuclear Fuelsplc in two suits in which leukemia and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma have been alleged to result from radiation exposures due to the operation of the nuclear reprocessing plant at Sellafield. This paper has been sent to the senior authors of the papers reporting clusters of leukemia or other malignancy in the vicinity of nuclear facilities in Britain and their comments invited. Subject to considerations of space and CCC style, these comments will be published as submited.
- Michaelis J, Keller B, Haaf G, Kaatsch P. Incidence of childhood malignancies in the vicinity of (West) German nuclear power plants. Cancer Causes Control 1992; 3: 255–263.
- Hill C, Laplanche A. Overall mortality and cancer mortality around French nuclear sites. Nature 1990; 347: 755–7.
- Jablon S, Hrubec Z, Boice JDJr. Cancer in populations living near nuclear facilities. A suryey of mortality nationwide and incidence in two states. JAMA 1991; 265: 1403–8.
- Cook-Mozaffari PJ, Darby SC, Doll R, et al. Geographical variation in mortality from leukaemia and other cancers in England and Wales in relation to proximity to nuclear installations, 1969–78. Br J Cancer 1989; 59: 476–85.
- Cook-Mozaffari P, Darby S, Doll R. Cancer near potential sites of nuclear installations. Lancet 1989; ii: 1145–7.
- Heasman MA, Urquhart JD, Black RJ, Kemp IW, Glass S, Gray M. Leukaemia in young persons in Scotland: a study of its geographical distribution and relationship to nuclear installations. Health Bull CMO Scotland 1987; 45: 147–51.
- Black D. Investigation of the Possible Increased Incidence of Cancer in West Cumbria. Report of the Independent Advisory Group. London: Her Majesty's Stationery Office, 1984.
- Committee on the Medical Aspects of Radiation in the Environment (COMARE). First Report. The Implications of the New Data on the Releases from Sellafield in the 1950s for the Conclusions of the Report on the Investigation of the Possible Increased Incidence of Cancer in West Cumbria. London: Her Majesty's Stationery Office, 1986.
- Committee on the Medical Aspects of Radiation in the Environment (COMARE). Second Report. Investigation of the Possible Increased Incidence of Leukaemia in Young People near the Dounreay Nuclear Establishment, Caithness, Scotland. London: Her Majesty's Stationery Office, 1988.
- Committee on Medical Aspect of Radiation in the Environment (COMARE). Third Report. Report of the Incidence of Childbood Cancer in the West Berkshire and North Hampshire Area, in which are Situated the Atomic Weapons Research Establishment, Aldermaston and the Royal Ordnance Factory, Burghfield. London: Her Majesty's Stationery Office, 1989.
- Wakeford R, Binks K, Wilkie D. Childhood leukaemia and nuclear installations. J Roy Statist Soc, Series A 1989; 152: 61–86.
- Wakeford R. Some problems in the interpretation of childhood leukaemia clusters. In: Thomas RW, ed. Spatial Epidemiology, London: Pion, 1990.
- Alexander FE, Cartwright RA, McKinney PA, Ricketts TJ. Incidence of leukaemia in vicinity of Hinkley Point nuclear power station (Letter). Br Med J; 299: 565.
- Taylor RH. Incidence of leukaemia in vicinity of Hinkley Point nuclear power station (Letter). Br Med J 1989; 299: 565–6.
- Caldwell GG. Twenty-two years of cancer cluster investigations at the Centers for Disease Control. Am J Epidemiol 1990; 132 (Suppl): S43–7.
- Heath CWJr, Hasterlik RJ. Leukemia among children in a suburban community. Am J Med 1963; 34: 796–812.
- Gardner MJ, Hall AJ, Downes S. Terrall JD. Follow-up study of children born to mothers resident in Seascale, West Cumbria (birth cohort). Br Med J 1987; 295: 222–7.
- Gardner MJ, Hall AJ, Downes S. Terrell JD. Follow up study of children born elsewhere but attending schools in Seascale, West Cumbria (schools cohort). Br Med J 1987; 295: 819–22.
- Gardner MJ, Snee MP, Hall AJ, Powell CA, Downes S, Terrell JD. Results of case-control study of leukaemia and lymphoma among young people near Sellafield nuclear plant in West Cumbria. Br Med J 1990; 300: 423–29.
- Heasman MA, Kemp IW, Urquhart JD, Black R. Childhood leukaemia in Northern Scotland (Letter). Lancet 1986; i: 266.
- Urquhart JD, Black RJ, Muirhead MJ, et al. Case-control study of leukaemia and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in children in Caithness near the Dounreay nuclear installation. Br Med J 1991; 302: 687–92.
- Barton CJ, Roman E, Ryder HN, Watson A (Letter). Lancet 1985; ii: 1248–9.
- Roman E, Beral V, Carpenter L, et al. Childhood leukaemia in the West Berkshire and Basingstoke and North Hampshire District Health Authorities in relation to nuclear establishments in the vicinity. Br Med J 1987; 294: 597–602.
- Ewings PD, Bowie C, Phillips MJ, Johnson SAN. Incidence of leukaemia in young people in the vicinity of Hinkley Point nuclear power station, 1959–86. Br Med J 1989; 299: 289–93.
- Leukemia clusters around nuclear facilities in Britain
Cancer Causes & Control
Volume 3, Issue 3 , pp 283-288
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- nuclear plant
- United Kingdom
- Industry Sectors
- Brian McMahon (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, USA