Statistical properties of optical refractive index fluctuations in the marine boundary layer
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The optical refractive index fluctuation has been determined from measurements of turbulent temperature and humidity fluctuations in the atmospheric surface layer over the ocean. Probability density, spectral density and even- and odd-order structure functions of the refractive index fluctuation are presented. The spectral density exhibits a significant ‘-5/3’ inertial subrange as a result of the existence of a ‘-5/3’ subrange in the spectra of temperature and humidity fluctuations and in the temperature-humidity co-spectrum. The behaviour in the inertial subrange of fourth- and sixth-order structure functions of the refractive index is in reasonable agreement with that predicted by the analysis of Antonia and Van Atta (1975, 1978). The third-order structure functions of the refractive index exhibit an approximately linear dependence on separation in the inertial subrange, in agreement with a ramp model for the large coherent structure of the motion.
Supplementary Material (0)
- Antonia, R. A., Chambers, A. J., Rajagopalan, S., Sreenivasan, K. R., and Friehe, C. A.: 1978, ‘Measurements of Turbulent Fluxes in Bass Strait’, J. Phys. Ocean. 8, 28–37.
- Antonia, R. A. and Van Atta, C. W.: 1975, ‘On the Correlation Between Temperature and Velocity Dissipation Fields in a Heated Turbulent Jet’, J. Fluid Mech. 67, 273–288.
- Antonia, R. A. and Van Atta, C. W.: 1977, ‘Structure Functions of Temperature Fluctuations in Turbulent Shear Flows’, J. Fluid Mech. 84, Part 3, 561–580.
- Champagne, F. H., Friehe, C. A., LaRue, J. C., and Wyngaard, J. C.: 1977, ‘Flux Measurements, Flux Estimation Techniques, and Fine-Scale Turbulent Measurements in the Unstable Surface Layer’, J. Atmos. Sci. 34, 515–530.
- Friehe, C. A.: 1977, ‘Estimation of the Refractive Index Temperature Structure Parameter over the Ocean’, Appl. Opt. 16, 334–340.
- Friehe, C. A., LaRue, J. C., Champagne, F. H., Gibson, C. H., and Dreyer, G. F.: 1975, ‘Effects of Temperature and Humidity Fluctuations on the Optical Refractive Index in the Marine Boundary Layer’, J. Opt. Soc. Am. 65, 1502–1511.
- Kruspe, G.: 1974, ‘Measurements of Fluctuations of Vertical Wind Velocity, Temperature and Radio-Refractive Index above the Sea, Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 6, 257–267.
- Miyake, M. and McBean, G.: 1970, ‘On the Measurement of Vertical Humidity Transport over Land’, Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 1, 88–101.
- Monin, A. S. and Yaglom, A. M.: 1975, Statistical Fluid Mechanics: Mechanics of Turbulence, Vol. 2 M.I.T. Press (ed. J. L. Lumley), 509.
- Paquin, J. E. and Pond, S.: 1971, ‘The Determination of the Kolmogoroff Constant for Velocity, Temperature and Humidity Fluctuations From Second and Third Order Structure Functions’, J. Fluid Mech. 50, 257–269.
- Phelps, G. T. and Pond, S.: 1971, ‘Spectra of Temperature and Humidity Fluctuations and of the Fluxes of Moisture and Sensible Heat in the Marine Boundary Layer’, J. Atmos. Sci. 28, 918–928.
- Schmitt, K. F., Friehe, C. A., and Gibson, C. H.: 1978, ‘Humidity Sensitivity of Atmospheric Temperature Sensors by Salt Contamination’, J. Phys. Ocean. 8, 151–161.
- Tatarskii, V. I.: 1961’, Wave propagation in a turbulent medium, translated by R. A. Silverman, Dover, New York.
- Tatarskii, V. I.: 1971, The effects of the turbulent atmosphere on wave propagation, TT-68–50464, National Technical Information Services, Springfield, Va.
- Van Atta, C. W.: 1977, ‘Coherent Structure Ramp Models for Structure Functions of Temperature in Turbulent Shear Flows’, presented at the Symposium on Turbulent Shear Flows, Berlin.
- Wesely, M. L.: 1976, ‘Combined Effect of Temperature and Humidity Fluctuations on Refractive Index’, J. Appl. Meteorol. 15, 43–49.
- Wyngaard, J. C., Izumi, Y., and Collins, S. A.Jr.: 1971, ‘Behaviour of the Refractive-Index Structure-Parameter Near the Ground’, J. Opt. Soc. Am. 61, 1646–1650.
- Wyngaard, J. C., Pennell, W. T., Lenschow, D. H., and LeMone, M. A.: 1978, ‘The Temperature-Humidity Covariance Budget in the Convective Boundary Layer’, J. Atmos. Sci. 35, 47–58.
About this Article
- Statistical properties of optical refractive index fluctuations in the marine boundary layer
Volume 15, Issue 2 , pp 243-253
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Newcastle, 2308, Newcastle, N.S.W., Australia
- 2. Department of Applied Mechanics and Engineering Sciences, University of California, 92093, San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA