Machine scheduling with an availability constraint
- Chung-Yee Lee
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Most literature in scheduling assumes that machines are available simultaneously at all times. However, this availability may not be true in real industry settings. In this paper, we assume that the machine may not always be available. This happens often in the industry due to a machine breakdown (stochastic) or preventive maintenance (deterministic) during the scheduling period. We study the scheduling problem under this general situation and for the deterministic case.
We discuss various performance measures and various machine environments. In each case, we either provide a polynomial optimal algorithm to solve the problem, or prove that the problem is NP-hard. In the latter case, we develop pseudo-polynomial dynamic programming models to solve the problem optimally and/or provide heuristics with an error bound analysis.
- Adiri, I., Bruno, J., Frostig, E., Rinnooy Kan, A.H.G. (1989) Single Machine Flow-Time Scheduling with a Single Breakdown. Acta Informatica 26: pp. 679-696
- Baker, K., Elements of Sequencing and Scheduling, (1993), unpublished manuscript.
- Blazewicz, J., Ecker, K., Schmidt, G., Weglarz, J. (1993) Scheduling in Computer and Manufacturing Systems. Springer-Verlag, New York
- Garey, M. R., Johnson, D. S. (1979) Computer and Intractability: A Guide to the Theory of NP-Completeness. W.H. Freeman and Company, New York
- Graves, S. C. (1981) A Review on Production Scheduling. Operations Research 29: pp. 646-676
- Herrmann, J., C.-Y. Lee, and J. Snowdon, “A Classification of Static Scheduling Problems,” in Complexity in Numerical Optimization, P. M. Pardalos (ed.), (1993), pp. 203–253, World Scientific.
- Kaspi, M. and B. Montreuil, “On the Scheduling of Identical Parallel Processes with Arbitrary Initial Processor Available Times,” Research Report 88-12, School of Industrial Engineering, Purdue University, 1988.
- Kraemer, F., Lee, C.-Y. (1993) Common Due-Window Scheduling. Production and Operations Management 2: pp. 262-275
- Lawler, E.L., Lenstra, J.K., Rinnooy Kan, A.H.G., Shmoys, D. Sequencing and Scheduling: Algorithms and Complexity. In: Graves, S.S., Rinnooy Kan, A.H.G., Zipkin, P. eds. (1993) Handbook in Operations Research and Management Science, Vol. 4: Logistics of Production and Inventory. North-Holland, New York, pp. 445-522
- Lee, C.-Y. (1991) Parallel Machines Scheduling with Non-Simultaneous Machine Available Time. Discrete Applied Mathematics 30: pp. 53-61
- Lee, C.-Y., “Minimizing the Makespan in the Two-Machine Flowshop Scheduling Problem with an Availability Constraint,” (1995), submitted for publication.
- Lee, C.-Y., Liman, S. D. (1992) Single Machine Flow-Time Scheduling With Scheduled Maintenance. Acta Informatica 29: pp. 375-382
- Lee, C.-Y., Liman, S. D. (1993) Capacitated two-parallel machines scheduling to minimize sum of job completion times. Discrete Applied Mathematics 41: pp. 211-222
- Lei, L., Wong, T.-J. (1991) The Minimum Common-Cycle Algorithm for Cyclic Scheduling of Two Material Handling Hoists with Time Window Constraints. Management Science 37: pp. 1629-1639
- Liman, S., Scheduling with Capacities and Due-Dates, Ph.D. Dissertation, Industrial and Systems Engineering Department, University of Florida, 1991.
- Morton, T. E., Prentico, D. W. (1993) Heuristic Scheduling Systems. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York
- Mosheiov, G. (1994) Minimizing the Sum of Job Completion Times on Capacitated Parallel Machines. Mathl. Comput. Modelling 20: pp. 91-99
- Pinedo, M. (1995) Scheduling: Theory, Algorithms, and Systems. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey
- Sahni, S. (1975) Approximation Algorithms for the 0/1 Kanpsack Problem. Journal of the Association for Computing Machinery 20: pp. 115-124
- Schmidt, G. (1984) Scheduling Independent Tasks with Deadlines on Semi-identical Processors. Journal of Operational Research Society 39: pp. 271-277
- Tanaev, V. S., Sotskov, Y. N., Strusevich, V. A. (1994) Scheduling Theory. Multi-Stage Systems. Kluwer Academic Publishers, The Netherlands
- Machine scheduling with an availability constraint
Journal of Global Optimization
Volume 9, Issue 3-4 , pp 395-416
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Chung-Yee Lee (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, University of Florida, 32611, Gainesville, FL, USA