Variations of carbon dioxide, air temperature, and horizontal wind within and above a maize crop
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The mean and short-term fluctuations of carbon dioxide concentration, air temperature, and horizontal wind speed were measured simultaneously within and above a maize crop. Although fluctuations were large at each of the 10 measurement heights, the largest were at the 180-cm level, the densest part of the crop. These short-term fluctuations indicated the broad range of environmental conditions to which plants are exposed (and which plants create or modify) in the field. The statistics of the distributions of these meteorological elements are discussed and the deviations from steady-state conditions are examined by determining linear trends. Finally, variance spectra showed the periodicity of the variations of these meteorological elements.
- Allen, L. H., Jr.: 1968, ‘Turbulence and Wind Speed Spectra Within a Japanese Larch Plantation’, J. Appl. Meteorol. 7, 73–78.
- Allen, L. H., Jr.: 1970, ‘An Operational System for (1) Sampling and Sensing Micrometeorological Elements, and (2) Logging and Processing Micrometeorological Data’, in J. M. Powell and C. F. Nolasco (eds.), Proc. 3rd Forest Microelements Symposium, Kananaskis, Alberta, Canada, Canadian Forestry Service, Department of Fisheries and Forestry, Calgary, Alberta, pp. 91–116.
- Desjardins, R. L.: 1972, ‘A Study of Carbon Dioxide and Sensible Heat Fluxes Using the Eddy Correlation Technique’, Ph.D. Thesis, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y., pp. 174. Diss. Abstracts No. 73–341.
- Desjardins, R. L., Sinclair, T. R., and Lemon, E. R.: 1973, ‘Light Fluctuations in Corn’, Agron. J. 65, 904–908.
- Duncan, W. G., Loomis, R. S., Williams, W. A., and Hanau, R.: 1967, ‘A Model for Simulating Photosynthesis in Plant Communities’, Hilgardia 38, 181–205.
- Evans, L. T.: 1963, ‘Extrapolation from Controlled Environments to the Field’, in L. T. Evans (ed.), Environmental Control of Plant Growth, Academic Press, New York and London, pp. 421–437.
- Inoue, E.: 1964, ‘Turbulent Fluctuations in Atmospheric CO2 Concentration over the Vegetated Fields,’ Studies on Oceanography, Div. of Meteorol., Natl. Inst. Agric. Sci. (Japan), pp. 232–237.
- Kimball, B. A. and Lemon, E. R.: 1970, ‘Spectra of Air Pressure Fluctuations at the Soil Surface’, J. Geophys. Res. 75, 6771–6777.
- Lemon, E. R., Wright, J. L., and Drake, G. M.: 1969, ‘Photosynthesis Under Field Conditions. XB. Origins of Short-Time CO2 Fluctuations in a Corn Field’, Agron. J. 61, 411–413.
- Murphy, C. E., Jr. and Knoerr, K. B.: 1970, ‘Modelling the Energy Balance Processes of Natural Ecosystems’, Research Report IBP and School of Forestry, Duke University, Durham, N.C. 164 pp.
- Okamota, M. and Webb, E. K.: 1970, ‘The Temperature Fluctuations in Stable Stratification’, Quart. J. Roy. Meteorol. Soc. 95, 591–600.
- Perrier, E. R., Robertson, J. M., Millington, R. J., and Peters, D. B.: 1972, ‘Spatial and Temporal Variation of Wind Above and Within a Soybean Canopy’, Agric. Meteorol. 10, 421–442.
- Shaw, R. H., den Hartog, G., King, K. M., and Thurtell, G. W.: 1974, ‘Measurements of Mean Wind Flow and Three-Dimensional Turbulence Intensity Within a Mature Corn Canopy’, Agric. Meteorol. 13, 419–425.
- Silversides,.R. H.: 1974, ‘An Empirical Method for Demonstrating the Influence of Heat Flux on the Shape of Temperature Spectra’, Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 6, 381–386.
- Stewart, D. W. and Lemon, E. R.: 1969, ‘The Energy Budget at the Earth's Surface: A Simulation of Net Photosynthesis of Field Corn,’ U.S. Army ECOM Tech, Rep. 2-68, 1–6. Ft. Huachuca, Arizona. (Avail, from National Technical Information Service, Springfield, Va.)
- Uchijima, Z. and Wright, J. L.: 1964, ‘An Experiment Study of Air Flow in a Corn Plant-Air Layer’, Bull. Natl. Inst. Agric. Sci. (Japan) Ser. A 11, 19–66.
- Waggoner, P. E., Furnival, G. M., and Reifsnyder, W. E.: 1969, ‘Simulation of the Microclimate in a Forest’, Forest Sci. 15, 37–45.
- Weiss, A. and Allen, L. H., Jr.: 1976a, ‘Air Flow Patterns in Vineyard Rows’, Agric. Meteorol. 16, 329–342.
- Weiss, A. and Allen, L. H., Jr.: 1976b, ‘The Flux Angle Distribution of Momentum as Determined by Propeller Anemometer Measurements’, Quart. J. Roy. Meteorol. Soc. 102, 775–779.
- Weiss, A. and Allen, L. H., Jr.: 1976c, ‘Vertical and Horizontal Air Flow Above Rows of a Vineyard’, Agric. Meteorol. 17, 433–452.
- de Wit, C. T.: 1965, ‘Photosynthesis of Leaf Canopies’, Versl. Landbouwk. Ondery. 663, 57 pp.
- Variations of carbon dioxide, air temperature, and horizontal wind within and above a maize crop
Volume 14, Issue 3 , pp 369-380
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Agrometeorology Research and Service, Chemistry and Biology Research Institute, Agriculture Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- 2. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Gainesville, Florida, USA
- 3. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y., USA