A non-linear extension of the mixed spectral finite difference model for neutrally stratified turbulent flow over topography
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A non-linear extension of the mixed spectral finite difference model for neutrally stratified surface-layer flow over complex terrain is developed. The non-linear terms are treated as additional source terms in the present model. The solution is calculated iteratively in spectral space, while the source terms are evaluated in physical space (at each iteration step) with the help of a Fast Fourier Transform algorithm.
Results for simple 2D sinusoidal topography are shown to compare well with full non-linear finite difference results. The method, compared to conventional finite difference methods, has the advantage of rapid convergence and substantial savings in computer time.
- Beljaars, A. C. M., Walmsley, J. L., and Taylor, P. A.: 1987, ‘A Mixed Spectral Finite Difference Model for Neutrally Stratified Boundary-Layer Flow over Roughness Change and Topography’, Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 38, 273–303.
- Burggraf, O. S. and Duck, P. W.: 1981, ‘Spectral Computation of Triple-Deck Flow’, RF Project 760325/712792, Technical Report 3.
- Char, B. W., Geddes, K. O., Gonnet, G. H., Honagan, M. B., and Watt, S. M.: 1988, ‘MAPLE Reference Manual’, 5th ed. Watcom Publications Limited.
- Hunt, J. C. R. and Simpson, J. E.: 1982, ‘Atmospheric Boundary Layers over Non-Homogeneous Terrain’, in E. J. Plate (ed.), Engineering Meteorology, Elsevier, Amsterdam.
- Jackson, P. S. and Hunt, J. C. R.: 1975, ‘Turbulent Wind Flow over a Low Hill’, Quart. J. Royal Meteorol. Soc. 101, 929–955.
- Karpik, S. R.: 1988, ‘An Improved Method for Integrating the Mixed Spectral Finite Difference (MSFD) Model Equations’, Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 43, 273–286.
- Taylor, P. A., Walmsley, J. L., and Salmon, J. R.: 1983, ‘A Simple Model of Neutrality Stratified Boundary-Layer Flow over Real Terrain Incorporating Wavenumber-Dependent Scaling’, Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 26, 169–189.
- Taylor, P. A.: 1977, ‘Some Numerical Studies of Surface Boundary-Layer Flow above Gentle Topography’, Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 11, 439–465.
- Walmsley, J. L., Taylor, P. A., and Keith, T.: 1986, ‘A Simple Model of Neutrally Stratified Boundary-Layer Flow over Complex Terrain with Surface Roughness Modulations (MS3DJH/3R)’, Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 36, 157–186.
- A non-linear extension of the mixed spectral finite difference model for neutrally stratified turbulent flow over topography
Volume 59, Issue 1-2 , pp 177-186
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links