Quadratic programming with one negative eigenvalue is NP-hard
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We show that the problem of minimizing a concave quadratic function with one concave direction is NP-hard. This result can be interpreted as an attempt to understand exactly what makes nonconvex quadratic programming problems hard. Sahni in 1974  showed that quadratic programming with a negative definite quadratic term (n negative eigenvalues) is NP-hard, whereas Kozlov, Tarasov and Hačijan  showed in 1979 that the ellipsoid algorithm solves the convex quadratic problem (no negative eigenvalues) in polynomial time. This report shows that even one negative eigenvalue makes the problem NP-hard.
- Garey, M. R. and Johnson, D. S. (1979), Computers and Intractability, A Guide to the Theory of NP-Completeness, W. H. Freeman and Company, San Francisco.
- Kozlov, M. K., Tarasov, S. P., and Hačijan, L. G. (1979), Polynomial Solvability of Convex Quadratic Programming, Soviet Math. Doklady 20, 1108–111.
- Murty, K. G. and Kabadi, S. N. (1987), Some NP-Complete Problems in Quadratic and Non-linear Programming, Mathematical Programming 39, 117–129.
- Pardalos, P. M. (1990), Polynomial Time Algorithms for Some Classes of Nonconvex Quadratic Problems, To appear in Optimization.
- Pardalos, P. M. and Rosen, J. B. (1986), Global Concave Minimization: A Bibliographic Survey, SIAM Review 28 (3), 367–379.
- Pardalos, P. M. and Rosen, J. B. (1987), Constrained Global Optimization: Algorithms and Applications, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 268, Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- Pardalos, P. M. and Schnitger, G. (1988), Checking Local Optimality in Constrained Quadratic Programming is NP-hard, Operations Research Letters 7 (1), 33–35.
- Sahni, S. (1974), Computationally Related Prolems, SIAM J. Comput. 3, 262–279.
- Vavasis, S. A. (1990), Quadratic Programming Is in NP, Inf. Proc. Lett. 36, 73–77.
- Quadratic programming with one negative eigenvalue is NP-hard
Journal of Global Optimization
Volume 1, Issue 1 , pp 15-22
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Global optimization
- quadratic programming
- Industry Sectors