Formulation and setting times of some calcium orthophosphate cements: a pilot study
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Calcium orthophosphates which either can be formed by precipitation at room or body temperatures or by reactions at higher temperatures have been reviewed. Most formulations of cements contain at least one or more acidic components and one or more basic components which react when the powder is mixed with water. Several combinations of reactants are possible in the systems of calcium phosphates and even combinations with calcium phosphates containing sodium, potassium, magnesium, zinc, carbonate or chloride are thought to be useful. Furthermore, other compounds can be added as accelerators or retarders of the setting reaction or as promoters of bone ingrowth. In this study, over 100 formulations have been tested on their ability to set upon mixing with water. The initial and final setting times were measured with Gilmore needles.
- S. E. Gruninger, C. Siew, L. C. Chow, A. O'Young, N. K. Ts'ao and W. E. Brown, J. Dent. Res. 63 (1984) 200.
- W. E. BROWN and L. C. CHOW, US Pat. 4518430, 21 May 1985.
- Y. Fukase, E. D. Eanes, S. Takagi, L. C. Chow and W. E. Brown, J. Dent. Res. 69 (1990) 1852.
- J. LEMAITRE, A. MIRTCHI and A. MORTIER, Silicates Ind. (1987) 141.
- A. A. Mirtchi, J. Lemaitre and N. Terao, Biomaterials 10 (1989) 475.
- A. A. Mirtchi, J. Lemaitre and E. Munting, Biomaterials 10 (1989) 634.
- H. Monma, Yogyo Kyokai Shi 95 (1987) 146.
- H. Monma, and T. Kanazawa, Yogyo Kyokai Shi 84 (1976) 209.
- H. Monma, A. Makishima, M. Mitomo and T. Ikegami, Nippon Seramikkusu Kyokai Gakujutsu Ronbunshi 96 (1988) 878.
- H. Oonishi, Biomaterials 12 (1991) 171.
- N. Nishimura, T. Yamamuno, Y. Taguchi, M. Ykenaza, T. Nakamura, T. Kobubo and S. Yoshihara, J. Appl. Biomater. 2 (1991) 219.
- F. C. M. Driessens and R. M. H. Verbeeck, “Biominerals” (CRC Press, Boca Raton, 1990).
- R. W. Phillips, “The Science of Dental Materials” (Mosby, St Louis, 1983).
- W. E. Brown, Clin, Orthop. 44 (1966) 205.
- W. E. Brown, J. P. Smith, J. R. Lehr and A. W. Frazier, Nature 196 (1962) 1050.
- Formulation and setting times of some calcium orthophosphate cements: a pilot study
Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine
Volume 4, Issue 5 , pp 503-508
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors