Colocalization of ADF and cofilin in intranuclear actin rods of cultured muscle cells
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Immunofluorescence microscopy revealed that two actin-binding proteins of low molecular weight with different functional activity. ADF and cofilin, are transported into nuclei of cultured myogenic cells to form rod structures there together with actin, when the cells were incubated in medium containing dimethylsulfoxide. In most cases, ADF and cofilin colocalized in the same nuclear actin rods, but ADF appeared to predominate in mononucleated cells, while cofilin was present in multinucleated myotubes. In some mononucleated cells, the nuclear actin rods were composed of ADF and actin but devoid of cofilin. An ADF homologue in mammals, destrin, was also translocated into nuclear actin rods under similar conditions. As a nuclear transport signal sequence exists in cofilin and ADF but not in actin, ADF and/or cofilin may be responsible for the nuclear import of actin in myogenic cells under certain conditions.
- ABE, H. & OBINATA, T. (1989) An actin-depolymerizing protein in embryonic chicken skeletal muscle: Purification and characterization. J. Biochem. (Tokyo) 106: 172–80.
- ABE, H., OHSHIMA, S. & OBINATA, T. (1989) A cofilin-like protein is involved in the regulation of actin assembly in developing skeletal muscle. J. Biochem. (Tokyo) 106, 696–702.
- ABE, H., ENDO, T., YAMAMOTO, K. & OBINATA, T. (1990) Sequence of cDNAs encoding actin depolymerizing factor and cofilin of embryonic chicken skeletal muscle: two functionally distinct actin-regulatory proteins exhibit high structural homology. Biochemistry 29, 7420–5.
- ABE, H., NAGAOKA, R. & OBINATA, T. (1991) Nuclear transport of cofilin in cultured muscle cells. Zool. Sci. (Tokyo) 8, 1128.
- ADAMS, M. E., MINAMIDE, L. S., DEUSTER, G. L. & BAMBURG, J. R. (1990) Nucleotide sequence and expression of a cDNA encoding chick brain actin depolymerizing factor. Biochemistry 29, 7413–19.
- BAMBURG, J. R., HARRIS, H. E. & WEEDS, A. G. (1980) Partial purification and characterization of an actin depolymerizing factor from brain. FEBS Lett. 121, 178–81.
- BAMBURG, J. R. & BRAY, D. (1987) Distribution and cellular localization of actin depolymerizing factor. J. Cell Biol. 105, 2817–25.
- COOPER, J. A., BLUM, J. D., WILLIAMS, R. C.Jr & POLLARD, T. D. (1986) Purification and characterization of actophorin, a new 15 000-dalton actin-binding protein from Acanthamoeba castellanii. J. Biol. Chem. 261, 477–85.
- DE, BLAS, A. L. & CHERWINSKI, H. M. (1983) Detection of antigens on nitrocellulose paper immunoblots with monoclonal antibodies. Anal. Biochem. 133, 214–19.
- FUKUI, Y. (1978) Intranuclear actin bundles induced by dimethyl sulfoxide in interphase nucleus of Dictyostelium. J. Cell Biol. 76, 146–57.
- FUKUI, Y. & KATSUMARU, H. (1980) Dynamics of nuclear actin bundle induction by dimethyl sulfoxide and factors affecting its development. J. Cell Biol. 84, 131–40.
- GRAESSER, F. A., SCHIEDTMANN, K. H., TUAZON, P. T., TRAIGH, J. A. & WALTER, G. (1988) In vitro phosphorylation of SV40 T antigen. Virology 165, 13–22.
- II, I., KIMURA, I. & OZAWA, E. (1982) A myotropic protein from chick embryo extract; first purification, identity to transferrin, and indispensability for avian myogenesis. Dev. Biol. 94, 366–77.
- IIDA, K., IIDA, H. & YAHARA, I. (1986) Heat shock induction of intranuclear actin rods in cultured mammalian cells. Exp. Cell Res. 165, 207–15.
- IIDA, K., MATSUMOTO, S. & YAHARA, I. (1992) The KKRKK sequence is involved in heat shock-induced nuclear translocation of the 18-kDa actin-binding protein, cofilin. Cell Struct. Funct. 17, 39–46.
- JANS, D. A., ACKERMANN, M. J., BISCHOFF, J. R., BEACH, D. H. & PETERS, R. (1991) p34çdc2-mediated phosphorylation at T124 inhibits nuclear import of SV-40 T antigen proteins. J. Cell Biol. 115, 1203–12.
- KALDERON, D., ROBERTS, B. L., RICHARDSON, W. D., & SMITH, A. E. (1984) A short amino acid sequence able to specify nuclear location. Cell 39, 499–509.
- KENNELLY, P. J. & KREBS, E. G. (1991) Consensus sequences as substrate specificity determinants for protein kinases and protein phosphatases. J. Biol. Chem. 266, 15555–8.
- LAEMMLI, U. K. (1970) Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227, 680–5.
- LANFORD, R. E. & BUTEL, J. S. (1984) Construction and characterization of an SV40 mutant defective in nuclear transport of T antigen. Cell 37, 801–13.
- MABUCHI, I. (1983) An actin-depolymerizing protein (depactin) from starfish oocyte: Properties and interaction with actin. J. Cell Biol. 97, 1612–21.
- MACIVER, S. K., AMPE, C., RIMM, D. L., ALMO, S. C., Van Damme, J., VANDEKERCKHOVE, J. S. & POLLARD, T. D. (1990) The cDNA sequence of actophorin, an actin severing protein from Acanthamoeba. J. Cell Biol. 111, 28a.
- MAEKAWA, S., NISHIDA, E., OHTA, Y. & SAKAI, H. (1984) Isolation of low molecular weight actin-binding proteins from porcine brain. J. Biochem. (Tokyo) 95, 377–85.
- MATSUZAKI, F., MATSUMOTO, S., YAHARA, I., YONEZAWA, N., NISHIDA, E. & SAKAI, H. (1988) Cloning and characterization of porcine brain cofilin cDNA. Cofilin contains the nuclear transport signal sequence. J. Biol. Chem. 263, 11564–8.
- MORGAN, T. E. (1990) Regulation of the amount and activity of actin depolymerizing factor in developing brain and muscle. Ph.D. Thesis, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO.
- MORIYAMA, K., NISHIDA, E., YONEZAWA, N., SAKAI, H., MATSUMOTO, S., IIDA, K., & YAHARA, I. (1990) Destrin, a mammalian actin-depolymerizing protein, is closely related to cofilin. J. Biol. Chem. 265, 5768–73.
- NISHIDA, E., MAEKAWA, S. & SAKAI, H. (1984) Cofilin, a protein in porcine brain that binds to actin filaments and inhibits their interaction with myosin and tropomyosin. Biochemistry 23, 5307–13.
- NISHIDA, E., MUNEYUKI, E., MAEKAWA, S., OHTA, Y. & SAKAI, H. (1985) An actin-depolymerizing protein (destrin) from porcine kidney. Its action on F-actin containing or lacking tropomyosin. Biochemistry 24, 6624–30.
- NISHIDA, E., IIDA, K., YONEZAWA, N., KOYASU, S., YAHARA, I. & SAKAI, H. (1987) Cofilin is a component of intranuclear and cytoplasmic actin rods induced in cultured cells. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 84, 5262–6.
- OBINATA, T., OOI, A. & TAKANO-OHMURO, H. (1983) Myosin and actin from ascidian smooth muscle and their interaction. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 76B, 437–42.
- OBINATA, T. & ABE, H. (1991) Regulation of actin assembly in embryonic chicken skeletal muscle by three different actin-binding proteins. In Frontiers in Muscle Research (edited by Ozawa, E., Masaki, T. & Nabeshima, Y.) pp. 325–47. Amsterdam, Elsevier Science Publishers.
- OSBORN, M. & WEBER, K. (1980a) Dimethylsulfoxide and the inophore A23187 affect the arrangement of actin and induce nuclear actin paracrystals in PtK2 cells. Exp. Cell Res. 129, 103–14.
- OSBORN, M. & WEBER, K. (1980b) Damage of cellular functions by trifluoperazine, a calmodulin-specific drug. Exp. Cell Res. 130, 484–8.
- OSBORN, M. & WEBER, K. (1984) Actin paracrystal induction by forskolin and by db-AMP in CHO cells. Exp. Cell Res. 150, 408–18.
- POLLARD, T. D. & COOPER, J. A. (1986) Actin and actin binding proteins. A critical evaluation of mechanisms and functions. Annu. Rev. Biochem. 55, 987–1035.
- RIHS, H-P. & PETERS, R. (1989) Nuclear transport kinetics depend on phosphorylation-site-containing sequences flanking the karyophilic signal of the simian virus 40 T-antigen. EMBO J. 8, 1479–84.
- SANGER, J. W., SANGER, J. M., KREIS, T. E. & JOCKUSCH, B. M. (1980) Reversible translocation of cytoplasmic actin into the nucleus caused by dimethylsulfoxide. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 77, 5268–72.
- TAKAGI, T., KONISHI, K. & MABUCHI, I. (1988) Amino acid sequence of starfish oocyte depactin. J. Biol. Chem. 263, 3097–102.
- TOWBIN, H. T., STAHELIN, H. M. & GORDON, J. (1979) Electrophoretic transfer of proteins from polyacrylamide gels to nitrocellulose sheets: procedure and some applications. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 76, 4350–4.
- WAY, M. & WEEDS, A. (1990) Cytoskeletal ups and downs. Nature 344, 292–4.
- WELCH, W. J. & SUHAN, J. P. (1985) Morphological study of the mammalian stress response: characterization of changes in cytoplasmic organelles, cytoskeleton, and nucleoli, and appearance of intranuclear actin filaments in rat fibloblasts after heat-shock treatment. J. Cell Biol. 101, 1198–211.
- YAHARA, I., HARADA, F., SEKITA, S., YOSHIHIRA, K. & NATORI, S. (1982) Correlation between effects of 24 different cytochalasins on cellular structures and cellular events and those on actin in vitro. J. Cell Biol. 92, 69–78.
- YONEZAWA, N., NISHIDA, E. & SAKAI, H. (1985) pH control of actin polymerization by cofilin. J. Biol. Chem. 260, 14410–12.
- YONEZAWA, N., NISHIDA, E., KOYASU, S., MAEKAWA, S., OHTA, Y., YAHARA, I. & SAKAI, H. (1987) Distribution among tissues and intracellular localization of cofilin, a 21 kDa actin-binding protein. Cell Struct. Funct. 2, 443–52.
- YONEZAWA, N., NISHIDA, E., IIDA, K., KUMAGAI, H., YAHARA, I. & SAKAI, H. (1991) Inhibition of actin polymerization by a synthetic dodecapeptide patterned on the sequence around the actin-binding site of cofilin. J. Biol. Chem. 266, 10485–9.
- Colocalization of ADF and cofilin in intranuclear actin rods of cultured muscle cells
Journal of Muscle Research & Cell Motility
Volume 14, Issue 2 , pp 195-204
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links