Preparation of Nb3Ge films by chemical transport reaction and their critical properties
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Niobium-germanium films have been deposited on sapphire substrates at 900 ‡C by a chemical transport reaction method. The highest superconducting transition onset temperature T C,on of 22.4 K is observed for a nearly stoichiometric Nb3Ge film with the A15-type structure (thickness ~ 93.5 Μm). Lattice constants for the Nb3Ge phase formed in the Nb-Ge films with both T C,on above 22 K and T C,midpoint above 21 K are found to extend from 5.143 to 5.153 ». Deposition rates for the obtained films are in the range of 2–10 Μm/min. Critical current densities for the Nb3Ge film with the highest T C,on value are observed to be relatively low (~ 103 A/cm2 at 19 K at self-field). This is due to the coarse grain structure of the film or the low density of effectual pinning centers in the film. Field variations of the pinning forces operating in this film in magnetic fields both parallel to the film surface and perpendicular to the film surface are found to follow closely b 1/2(1\s-b)2, to which the pinning force for flux pinning at the surface of normal regions, such as grain boundaries, film surfaces, etc., is proportional, and where b is the reduced magnetic induction (B/B C2).A small increase in J C at low fields is caused by the presence of a small amount of the Nb5Ge3 phase in a Nb3Ge film, and seems attributable to additional flux pinning on Nb5Ge3-phase particles in the film.
- J. R. Gavaler, Appl. Phys. Lett. 23, 480 (1973).
- L. R. Testardi, J. H. Wernick, and W. A. Royer, Solid State Comm. 15, 1 (1974).
- J. R. Gavaler, M. A. Janocko, and C. K. Jones, J. Appl. Phys. 45, 3009 (1974).
- L. R. Testardi, R. L. Meek, J. M. Poate, W. A. Royer, A. R. Storm, and J. H. Wernick, Phys. Rev. B 11, 4304 (1975).
- Y. Tarutani, M. Kudo, and S. Taguchi, Proc. ICEC 5, 477 (1975).
- L. R. Newkirk, F. A. Valencia, and T. C. Wallace, J. Electrochem. Soc. 123, 425 (1974).
- A. I. Braginski and G. W. Roland, Appl. Phys. Lett. 25, 762 (1976).
- J. J. Engelhardt and G. W. Webb, Solid State Comm. 18, 837 (1976).
- S. Foner, E. J. McNiff Jr., J. R. Gavaler, and M. A. Janocko, Phys. Lett. 47A, 485 (1974).
- J. R. Gavaler, M. A. Janocko, A. I. Braginski, and G. W. Roland, IEEE Trans. Mag. MAG-11, 192 (1975).
- H. Braun and E. Saur, Proc. ICEC 6, K13 (1976).
- A. I. Braginski, J. R. Gavaler, G. W. Roland, M. R. Daniel, M. A. Janocko, and A. T. Santhanam, IEEE Trans. Mag. MAG-13, 300 (1977).
- H. F. Braun, E. N. Haeussler, and E. J. Saur, IEEE Trans. Mag. MAG-13, 327 (1977).
- R. V. Carlson, R. J. Bartlett, L. R. Newkirk, and F. A. Valencia, IEEE Trans. Mag. MAG-13, 648 (1977).
- B. T. Matthias, T. H. Geballe, R. H. Willens, E. Corenzwit, and G. W. Hull Jr., Phys. Rev. 139, A1501 (1965).
- L. R. Newkirk, F. A. Valencia, A. L. Giorgi, E. G. Szklarz, and T. C. Wallace, IEEE Trans. Mag. MAG-11, 221 (1975).
- D. A. Rogowski and R. Roy, J. Appl. Phys. 47, 4635 (1976).
- J. J. Hanak, K. Strater, and G. W. Cullen, RCA Rev. 25, 342 (1964).
- A. R. Sweedler, D. E. Cox, S. Moehlecke, R. H. Jones, L. R. Newkirk, and F. A. Valencia, J. Low Temp. Phys. 24, 645 (1976).
- T. Claeson, J. Ivarsson, and S. E. Rasmussen, J. Appl. Phys. 48, 3998 (1977).
- W. A. Fietz and W. W. Webb, Phys. Rev. 178, 657 (1969).
- E. J. Kramer, J. Appl. Phys. 44, 1360 (1973).
- D. Dew-Hughes, Phil. Mag. 30, 293 (1974).
- M. Durieux; in Progress in Low Temperature Physics, Vol. 6, C. J. Gorter, ed. (1970), p. 405.
- H. R. Hart, Jr. and P. S. Swartz, Phys. Rev. 156, 403 (1967).
- Preparation of Nb3Ge films by chemical transport reaction and their critical properties
Journal of Low Temperature Physics
Volume 34, Issue 5-6 , pp 569-583
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors