Superlattice of parahydrogen physisorbed on graphite surface
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We examine the zero-temperature stability of 1/3- and 1/4-coverage superlattices and the liquid phase of parahydrogen physisorbed on graphite by calculating variational ground state energies. A general anisotropic hydrogen-substrate interaction that can be used for both para- and orthohydrogen is first derived by lattice summation. The single-hydrogen Schrödinger equation is solved. Potential parameters are chosen so that the eigenvalue spectrum can be fitted to experimental data. The eigenfunctions are used to form single-particle elements for the many-body wave function. For finite-coverage monolayers of adsorbed hydrogen, the trial wave function is chosen as a product of a properly symmetrized single-particle element and a Feenberg-Jastrow correlating factor. The energies of the liquid and superlattice phases are calculated within the same formalism. We find at 1/3 coverage a stable triangle superlattice. At 1/4 coverage, however, the submonolayer remains in the two-dimensional liquid phase.
- M. Bretz and T. T. Chung, J. Low Temp. Phys. 17, 479 (1974).
- M. Nielsen, J. P. McTague, and W. Ellenson, J. Phys. (Paris) 38, C4–10 (1979).
- P. R. Kubik and W. N. Hardy, Phys. Rev. Lett. 41, 257 (1978).
- A. J. Berlinsky and A. B. Harris, Phys. Rev. Lett. 40, 1579 (1978).
- S. F. O'Shea and M. L. Klein, Chem. Phys. Lett. 66, 381 (1979).
- S. C. Wang, L. Senbetu, and C.-W. Woo, Phys. Rev. B 20, 3641 (1979).
- L. Zandee, J. Verberne, and J. Reuss, Chem. Phys. 26, 1 (1977).
- R. D. Etters, R. Danilowicz, and W. England, Phys. Rev. A 12, 2199 (1975).
- F. Reif and E. M. Purcell, Phys. Rev. 91, 631 (1953).
- G. Boato and G. P. Felcher, private communication.
- M. A. Lee, D. N. Lowy, and C.-W. Woo, Phys. Rev. B 14, 4874 (1976).
- Superlattice of parahydrogen physisorbed on graphite surface
Journal of Low Temperature Physics
Volume 41, Issue 5-6 , pp 611-628
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors