Vertical profiles of acetylene in the troposphere and stratosphere
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Stratospheric measurements of acetylene up to altitudes of 30 km are presented. The air samples were collected during three different balloon flights, two of them at 44°N, one at 32°N using balloon borne, liquid neon-cooled, cryosamplers. Their acetylene concentration was measured in the laboratory by flame ionisation gaschromatography. The different profiles at 32°N and 44°N are discussed with respect to possible vertical exchange processes and compared with published model calculations.
- Breen, J. E. and Glass, G. P., 1970, The reaction of the hydroxyl radical with acetylene, Int. J. Chem. Kinet. 3, 145–153.
- Chameides, W. L. and Cicerone, R. J., 1978, Effects of nonmethane hydrocarbons in the atmosphere, J. Geophys. Res. 83, 947–952.
- Cronn, D. and Robinson, E., 1979, Tropospheric and lower stratospheric profile of ethane and acetylene, Geophys. Res. Lett. 6, 641–644.
- Davis, D. D., Fischer, S., Schiff, R., Watson, R. T., and Bollinger, W., 1975, A kinetics study of the reaction of OH radicals with two C2 hydrocarbons: C2H4 and C2H2, J. Chem. Phys. 63, 1707–1712.
- Ehhalt, D. H., Heidt, L. E., Lueb, R. H., and Roper, N., 1974, Vertical profiles of CH4, H2, CO, N2O and CO2 in the stratosphere, Proc. of Third Conference on CIAP, Feb. 28–March 2, 1974, Cambridge, Mass., pp. 153–260.
- Ehhalt, D. H., Heidt, L. E., Lueb, R. H., and Pollock, W., 1975, The vertical distribution of trace gases in the stratosphere, Pure Appl. Geophys. 113, 389–402.
- Ehhalt, D. H. and Tönnißen, A., 1979, Hydrogen and carbon compounds in the stratosphere, Proceedings of the NATO Advanced Study Institute on Atmospheric Ozone: Its Variation and Human Influences, Aldeia das Acoteias, Portugal, Rep. FAA-EE-80-20, 129–151, Fed. Aviat. Admin., Washington, D.C.
- Goldman, A., Murcray, F. J., Blatherwick, R. D., Gillis, J. R., Bonomo, F. S., Murcray, F. H., Murcray, D. G., and Cicerone, R. J., 1981, Identification of acetylene in infrared atmospheric absorption spectra, J. Geophys. Res. 86, 12143–12146.
- Lueb, R. A., Ehhalt, D. H., and Heidt, L. E., 1975, Balloon borne low temperature air sampler, Rev. Sci. Instr. 46, 702–705.
- Michael, J. V., Nava, D. F., Borkowski, R. P., Payne, W. A., and Stief, L. J., 1980, Pressure dependence of the absolute rate constant for the reaction OH+C2H2 from 228 to 413 K, J. Chem. Phys. 73, 6108–6116.
- Perry, R. A., Atkinson, R., and Pitts, J. N.Jr., 1977, Kinetics of the reactions of OH radicals with C2H2 and CO, J. Chem. Phys. 67, 5577–5584.
- Robinson, E., 1978, Hydrocarbons in the atmosphere, Pure Appl. Geophys. 116, 372–384.
- Rudolph, J., Ehhalt, D. H., Khedim, A., and Jebsen, C., 1982, Latitudinal profiles of some C2−C5 hydrocarbons in the clean troposphere over the Atlantic, Preprint Volume: Second Symposium on the Composition of the Nonurban Troposphere, May 25–28, 1982, Williamsburg, Va., American Meteorological Society, Boston, Mass., pp. 284–286.
- Rudolph, J. and Ehhalt, D. H., 1981, Measurements of C2−C5 hydrocarbons over the North Atlantic, J. Geophys. Res. 86, 11959–11964.
- Rudolph, J., Ehhalt, D. H., and Tönnißen, A., 1981a, Vertical profiles of ethane and propane in the stratosphere, J. Geophys. Res. 86, 7267–7272.
- Rudolph, J., Ehhalt, D. H., Khedim, A., and Jebsen, C., 1981b, Determination of C2−C5 hydrocarbons in the atmosphere at low parts per 10-9 to high 10-12 levels, J. Chromatogr. 271, 301–310.
- Rudolph, J., Schmidt, U., Khedim, A., Kulessa, G., Meixner, F., and Ehhalt, D. H., 1984, Latitude-altitude cross sections of the mixing ratio of light hydrocarbons during STRATOZ II flight, in preparation.
- Singh, H. B. and Salas, L. J., 1982, Measurement of selected light hydrocarbons over the Pacific Ocean: latitudinal and seasonal variations, Geophys. Res. Lett. 9, 842–845.
- Smith, J. W. M. and Zellner, R., 1973, Rate measurements of reaction of OH by resonance adsorption, Part 2: Reactions of OH with CO, C2H4 and C2H2, J. Chem. Soc. Faraday Trans. II 69, 1617–1627.
- Wofsy, S. C. and McElroy, M. B., 1973, On vertical mixing in the upper stratosphere and lower mesosphere, J. Geophys. Res. 78, 2619–2624.
- Vertical profiles of acetylene in the troposphere and stratosphere
Journal of Atmospheric Chemistry
Volume 2, Issue 2 , pp 117-124
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- stratospheric profiles
- trace gas measurements
- stratosphere-troposphere exchange
- Industry Sectors