A transformation of ritual: The nisei 60th birthday
- Mary L. Doi
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Rituals are enactments of shared meanings, norms, and values. The kanreki, a traditional Japanese rite of passage to old age at 60, is now being celebrated by Nisei (second generation Japanese Americans). This paper examines the transformation of the Japanese rite of passage to a collective response among the Nisei to the dilemmas of growing older in urban America.
- Embree, J. 1939 Suye Mura: A Japanese Village. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.
- Gardner, R., B. Robey, and P. Smith 1985 Asian Americans: Growth, Change, and Diversity. Population Bulletin 40(4):1–43.
- Geertz, C. 1973 The Interpretation of Cultures. New York: Basic Books.
- Hosokawa, B. 1969 Nisei: The Quiet Americans. New York: William Morrow and Company.
- Iijima, Y. 1987 Folk Culture and the Liminality of Children. Current Anthropology. 28(4):S41-S48.
- Japanese American Citizens League and the National Institute of Mental Health 1976 Report of Nisei Retirement Planning Conference. San Francisco.
- Joya, M. 1958 Things Japanese. Tokyo: Tokyo News Service, Ltd.
- Kiefer, C.W. 1974 Changing Cultures, Changing Lives. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Kitagawa, D. 1974 Issei and Nisei: The Internment Years. New York: The Seabury Press.
- Nydegger, C. 1986 Age and Life-Course Transitions. In New Methods for Old Age Research. C.L. Fry and J. Keith, eds. Pp. 131–161. South Hadley, MA: Bergin and Garvey.
- Osako, M. 1979 Aging and Family Among Japanese Americans: The Role of Ethnic Tradition in the Adjustment to Old Age. The Gerontologist 19:448–455.
- Plath, D. 1972 Japan: The After Years. In Aging and Modernization. D. Cowgill and L. Holmes, eds. Pp. 133–150. New York: Appelton-Century Crofts.
- Yamamoto, H. 1988 Seventeen Syllables and Other Stories. Latham, NY: Kitchen Table: Women of Color Press, Inc.
- A transformation of ritual: The nisei 60th birthday
Journal of Cross-Cultural Gerontology
Volume 6, Issue 2 , pp 153-163
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Japanese Americans
- Mary L. Doi (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Human Development and Aging Program University of California, 94143, San Francisco, CA, U.S.A.