Development of an octocalcium phosphate cement
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
From previous studies it is known that alpha-tertiary calcium phosphate and dicalcium phosphate form a cement upon mixing with water. In this study this cement was optimized in terms of the milling of the constituents, their molar ratio, the amount of hydroxyapatite added and the water/powder ratio. The optimum Ca/P molar ratio of the cement mixture was 1.36±0.03. X-ray diffraction showed the reaction product to be octocalcium phosphate. Addition of precipitated hydroxypatite of over 3% diminished the final strength of the cement significantly. However, admixtures of only 2% of precipitated hydroxyapatite (a) kept the final compressive strength at 30±5 MPa after soaking in Ringers solution at 37°C, (b) diminished the initial setting time from 27.5 to 10 min and the final setting time from 65 to 40 min, (c) diminished the time in which the final strength was reached from 36 to less than 14 h. The tensile strength of this cement is 19±1% of its compressive strength. The optimum water/powder ratio as found in this study was 0.30 g/g.
- S. E.Gruninger, C.Siew, L. C.Chow, A.O'Young, N. K.Ts'ao and W. E.Brown, J. Dent. Res. 63 (1984) 200
- W. E. Brown and L. C. Chow, US Patent 4 518 430, May 21 (1985).
- Y.Fukase, E. D.Eanes, S.Takagi, L. C.Chow and W. E.Brown, J. Dent. Res. 69 (1990) 1852.
- P. W.Brown and M.Fulmer, J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 74 (1991) 934.
- P. W.Brown, N.Hocker and S.Hoyle, J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 74 (1991) 1848.
- B. R. Constantz, B. Barr and K. McVicker, US Patent 5 053 212, 1 October (1991).
- J. Lemaitre, A. Mirtchi and A. Mortier, Silicates Industriels (1987) 141.
- A. A.Mirtchi, J.Lemaitre and N.Terao, Biomaterials 10 (1989) 475.
- A. A.Mirtchi, J.Lemaitre and E.Munting, Biomaterials. 10 (1989) 634.
- F. C. M.Driessens, M. G.Boltong, O.Bermudez and J. A.Planell, J. Mater. Sci. Mat. Med. 4 (1993) 503.
- B. R. Constantz, B. M. Barr, J. Quiaoit, I. C. Ison, J. T. Baker, L. McKinney, S. B. Goodman, D. R. Summer and S. Gunasekaran, Fourth World Biomaterials Congress, Berlin, 1992, Abstract 56.
- H.Monma, A.Makishima, M.Mitomo and T.Ikegami, Nippon Seramikkusu Kyokai Gakujutsu Ronbunshi 96 (1988) 878.
- F. C. M.Driessens and R. M. H.Verbeeck, “Biominerals” (CRC Press, Boca Raton, 1990).
- F. C. M.Driessens and R. M. H.Verbeeck, Z. Naturforsch. 41C (1986) 468.
- F. C. M.Driessens, G.Schaafsma, E. C. M.VanBerestijn and J.Rotgans, Z. Orthop. 124 (1986) 599.
- N.Nishimura, T.Yamamuro, Y.Taguchi, M.Yakenaga, T.Nakamura, T.Kokubo and S.Yoshihara, J. Appl. Biomaterials 2 (1991) 219.
- Development of an octocalcium phosphate cement
Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine
Volume 5, Issue 3 , pp 144-146
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors