The presence of inhibitors of the reproduction of Varroa jacobsoni Oud. (Gamasida: Varroidae) in infested cells
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The mite Varroa jacobsoni was reared in artificial gelatin cells under laboratory conditions and the possible presence of factors inhibiting Varroa reproduction was studied. In cells infested with three mites, the mean offspring per female was reduced to 75% of that in singly infested cells. When gelatin cells were used for two successive rearing cycles, both the proportion of reproducing females and the offspring per reproducing female were significantly lower in cells that had contained an infested larva during the first rearing cycle than in those with an uninfested larva. The mean reduction of the offspring per female was 48%; this suggests that inhibitors of the reproduction are released into infested cells. Treatment of gelatin cells with the hexane extract of cells in which an infested bee pupa had developed caused a 21% reduction in the mean offspring per female, with a difference close to the significance level (p=0.07).
- Dujin, T., Jovanović, V., Šuvakov, D., Milković, Z. (1991) Effects of extended utilization of amytrase-based preparations on the formation of resistant strains of Varroa jacobsoni. Vet. Glasnik 45: pp. 851-855
- Fries, I., Camazine, S., Sneyd, J. (1994) Population dynamics of Varroa jacobsoni: a model and a review. Bee World 75: pp. 5-28
- Fuchs, S., Langenbach, K. (1989) Multiple infestation of Apis mellifera L. brood cells and reproduction in Varroa jacobsoni Oud. Apidologie 20: pp. 257-266
- Khalil, G.M. (1984) Fecundity-reducing pheromone in Argas (Persicargas) arboreus (Ixodoidea: Argasidae). Parasitology 88: pp. 395-402
- Lodesani, M., Colombo, M., Spreafico, M. (1995) Ineffectiveness of Apistan® treatment against the mite Varroa jacobsoni Oud in several districts of Lombardy (Italy). Apidologie 26: pp. 67-72
- Martin, S.J. (1995) Reproduction of Varroa jacobsoni in cells of Apis mellifera containing one or more mother mites and the distribution of these cells. J. Apicult. Res. 34: pp. 187-196
- Milani, N. (1995) The resistance of Varroa jacobsoni Oud. to pyrethroids: a laboratory assay. Apidologie 26: pp. 415-429
- Milani, N. 1996. Some aspects of the reproduction and the development of the Varroa mite (Varroa jacobsoni Oudemans). In Acarology IX, Proceedings of the IX International Congress of Acarology, Columbus, Ohio, 17–22 July 1994, in press.
- Moosbeckhofer, R., Fabsicz, M., Kohlich, A. (1988) Untersuchungen über die Abhängigkeit der Nachkommensrate von Varroa jacobsoni von Befallsgrad der Bienenvölker. Apidologie 19: pp. 181-207
- Nazzi, F. 1994. Riproduzione di Varroa jacobsoni Oud. in condizioni di infestazione multipla. In Atti XVII Congresso Nazionale Italiano di Entomologia, Udine, 1994, pp. 865–866.
- Nazzi, F., Milani, N. (1994) A technique for reproduction of Varroa jacobsoni Oud under laboratory conditions. Apidologie 25: pp. 579-584
- Piletskaya, I.V. 1982. [Varroa mite and sealed brood]. Pchelovodstvo no. 4: 17 (in Russian).
- Rath, W. (1992) The key to Varroa: the drones of Apis cerana and their cell cap. Am. Bee J. 132: pp. 329-331
- Sokal, R.R., Rohlf, F.J. (1995) Biometry: The Principles and Practice of Statistics in Biological Research. Freeman and Co., New York
- Steiner, J., Diehl, P.A., Vlimant, M. (1995) Vitellogenesis in Varroa jacobsoni, a parasite of honey bees. Exp. Appl. Acarol. 19: pp. 411-422
- Trouiller, J. 1996. Monitoring of tau-fluvalinate resistant mites in Europe. Proceedings of the XXXIV Apimondia International Congress, Lausanne, 1995, in press.
- The presence of inhibitors of the reproduction of Varroa jacobsoni Oud. (Gamasida: Varroidae) in infested cells
Experimental & Applied Acarology
Volume 20, Issue 11 , pp 617-623
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Varroa jacobsoni
- density dependent
- Apis mellifera
- Industry Sectors