Diet and age at menarche
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Early menarche has been associated with higher risk of breast cancer. A prospective study has been conducted in Quebec City, Canada, to evaluate the relationship of dietary intake to age at menarche. On three occasions during the schoolyear 1986–87, 2,299 pre-menarcheal girls kept a three-day dietary record. At the end of a 17-month follow-up, 911 girls (39.6 percent) had reached menarche. Incidence density ratios (IDRs) adjusted for age at entry and mothers' age at menarche were computed using proportional hazards models. IDRs for quartiles of energy, nutrient and food-group intakes were not different from the null value, In this population of well-nourished girls, diet did not influence the age at onset of menarche.
- Carroll KK. Experimental evidence of dietary factors and hormone dependent cancers. Cancer Res 1975; 35: 3374–83.
- Rose DP, Boyar AP, Wynder EL. International comparisons of mortality rates for cancer of the breast, ovary, prostate, and colon, and per capita food consumption. Cancer 1986; 58: 2363–71.
- Graham S, Marshall J, Mettlin C, Rzepka T, Nemoto T, Byers T. Diet in the epidemiology of breast cancer. Am J Epidemiol 1982; 116; 68–75.
- Hirohata T, Nomura AMY, Hankin JH, Kolonel LN, Lee J. An epidemiologic study on the association between diet and breast cancer. JNCI 1987; 78: 595–600.
- Rohan TE, McMichael AJ, Baghurst PA. A populationbased case-control study of diet and breast cancer in Australia. Am J Epidemiol 1988; 128: 478–89.
- Katsouyanni K, Willett W, Trichopoulos D, et al. Risk of breast cancer among Greek women in relation to nutrient intake. Cancer 1988; 61: 181–5.
- Miller AB, Kelly A, Choi NW, et al. A study of diet and breast cancer. Am J Epidemiol 1978; 107: 499–509.
- Willett WC, Stampfer MJ, Colditz GA, Rosner BA, Hennekens CH, Speizer FE. Dietary fat and the risk of breast cancer. N Engl J Med 1987; 316: 22–8.
- Jones DY, Schatzkin A, Green SB, et al. Dietary fat and breast cancer in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. I. Epidemiologic follow-up study. JNCI 1987; 79: 465–71.
- Staszewski J. Age at menarche and breast cancer. JNCI 1971; 47: 935–40.
- Frisch RE, Wyshak G, Albright NL, et al. Lower prevalence of breast cancer and cancers of the reproductive system among former college athletes compared to non-athletes. Br J Cancer 1985; 52: 885–91.
- Brinton LA, Schairer C, Hoover RN, Fraumeni JF. Menstrual factors and risk of breast cancer. Cancer Invest 1988; 6: 245–54.
- Choi NW, Howe GR, Miller AB, et al. An epidemiologic study of breast cancer. Am J Epidemiol, 1978; 107: 510–21.
- Moisan J, Meyer F, Gingras S. A case-control analysis of the correlates of early menarche. Am J Epidemiol (in press).
- Verdier PC, Beare-Rogers JL. The Canadian nutrient file. J Can Diet Assoc 1984; 45: 52–5.
- Ministère de la Santé Nationale et du Bien-être Social. Direction de la Promotion de la Santé. Le Manuel du Guide Alimentaire Canadien. Otrawa, Canada: Ministère de la Santé Nationale et du Bien-être Social, 1982.
- Lee ET. Statistical Methods for Survival Data Analysis. Belmont, CA: Lifetime Learning Publications, 1980.
- Statistical Analysis System Ver. 5. Cary, NC: SAS Institute Inc. (See User's Guide: Statistics, Ver. 5 edn.), 1985.
- Satyanarayana K, Nadami Nadu A. Nutrition and menarche in rural Hyderabad. Ann Hum Biol 1979; 2: 163–5.
- Dreizen S, Spirakis CN, Stone RE. A comparison of skeletal growth and maturation in undernourished and wellnourished girls before and after menarche. J Pediatr 1967; 70: 256–63.
- Meyer F, Moisan J, Marcoux D, Bouchard C. Dietary and physical determinants of menarche (Abstract). Am J Epidemiol 1987; 126: 762.
- Hill P, Wynder EL, Garbaczewski L, et al. Diet and menarche in different ethnic groups. Eur J. Cancer 1979; 16: 519–25.
- Richardson BD, Laing PM, Rantsho JM, Swinel RW. The bearing of diverse patterns of diet on growth and menarche in four ethnic groups of South African girls. J Trop Med Hyg 1983; 86: 5–12.
- Sanchez A, Kissinger DG, Phillips RI. A hypothesis on the etiological role of dier on age of menarche. Med Hyp 1981; 7: 1339–45.
- Hughes RE, Jones E, Incake of dietary fibre and the age of menarche. Ann Hum Biol 1985; 4: 325–32.
- Kissinger DG, Sanchez A. The association of dietary factors with the age of menarche. Nutr Res 1987; 7: 471–9.
- Kralj-Cercek L. The influence of food, body build, and social orgin on the age at menarche. Hum Biol 1956; 28: 393–406.
- Pekkarinen M. Methodology in the collection of food consumption data. World Rev Nutr Dietitics 1970; 12: 145–71.
- Stuff JE, Garza C, O'Brian Smith E, Nichols BL, Montandon CM. A comparison of dietary methods in nutritional studies. Am J Clin Nutr 1983; 37: 300–6.
- Todd KS, Hudes M, Calloway DH. Food intake measurement: problems and approaches. Am J Clin Nutr 1983; 37: 139–46.
- Diet and age at menarche
Cancer Causes & Control
Volume 1, Issue 2 , pp 149-154
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- follow-up study
- Industry Sectors