Cancer risk in patients with diabetes mellitus
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Cancer incidence was ascertained in a population-based cohort of 51,008 patients in Uppsala, Sweden, who were given a discharge diagnosis of diabetes mellitus during 1965–83. Complete follow-up through 1984 with exclusion of the first year of observation showed that the observed number of cancers in females (1,294) was eight percent higher than expected (relative risk [RR]=1.1, 95 percent confidence interval =11.0–1.1), whereas in males the observed number (1,123) was close to the expected (RR=1.0, 0.9–1.1). Significantly increased risks of pancreatic (RR=1.4, 1.2–1.7), primary liver (RR=1.5, 1.2–1.7), and endometrial (RR=1.5, 1.2–1.8) cancers and a lower than expected number of prostatic cancers (RR=0.7, 0.7–09) were found in this cohort of diabetic patients. The excess risk of pancreatic cancer was similar in females and males and evident both during one through four years (RR=1.7, 1.4–2.1) and five through nine years (RR=1.3, 0.9−1.7) of follow-up, but not thereafter. A similar pattern was found for primary liver cancer, but the RRs were generally higher in males than in females.
- KesslerII, Cancer mortality among diabetics. JNCI 1970; 44: 673–86.
- Wynder EL, Mabuchi K, Mabuchi N, Fortner JG. Epidemiology of cancer of the pancreas. JNCI 1973; 50: 645–67.
- Ragozzino MW, MeltonIII JM, Chu CP, Palumbo JP. Subsequent cancer risk in the incidence cohort of Rochester, Minnesota, residents with diabetes mellitus. J Chronic Dis 1982; 35: 13–9.
- Whittemore AS, Paffenberger RS, Anderson K, Halpern J. Early precursors of pancreatic cancer in college men. J Chronic Dis 1983; 36: 251–6.
- O'Mara BA, Byers T, Schoenfeld E. Diabetes mellitus and cancer risk: a multisite case-control study. J Chronic Dis 1985; 38: 435–41.
- Norell S, Ahlbom A, Erwald R, et al. Diabetes, gall stone disease, and pancreatic cancer (Letter). Br J Cancer 1986; 54: 377–8.
- Hiatt RA, Klatsky AL, Armstrong MA. Pancreatic cancer, blood glucose and beverage consumption. Int J Cancer 1988; 41: 794–7.
- Cuzick J, Babiker AG. Pancreatic cancer, alcohol, diabetes mellitus and gallbladder disease. Int J Cancer 1989; 43: 415–21.
- Lawson DH, Gray JMB, McKillop C, Clarke J, Lee FD, Patrick RS. Diabetes mellitus and primary hepatocellular carcinoma. Q J Med 1986; 61: 945–55.
- MacMahon B. Risk factors for endometrial cancer. Gynecol Oncol 1974; 2: 122–9.
- Elwood JM, Cole P, Rothman KJ, Kaplan SD. Epidemiology of endometrial cancer. JNCI 1977; 59: 1055–60.
- Lin RS, KesslerII. A multi-factorial model for pancreas cancer in man-epidemiologic evidence. JAMA 1981; 245: 147–52.
- Goldstein HR. No association found between coffee and cancer of the pancreas (Letter). N Engl J Med 1982; 306: 997.
- Heuch I, Kvå;le G, Jacobsen BK, Bjelke E Use of alcohol, tobacco and coffee, and risk of pancreatic cancer. Br J Cancer 1983; 48: 637–43.
- Gold EB, Gordis L, Diener MD, et al. Diet and other risk factors for cancer of the pancreas. Cancer Res 1985; 55: 460–7.
- Mack TM, Yu MC, Hanisch R, Henderson BE. Pancreas cancer and smoking, beverage consumption, and past medical history. JNCI 1986; 76: 49–60.
- Dahlquist GG, Blom LG, Persson LÅ, Sandström AIM, Wall SGI. Dietary factors and the risk of developing insulin dependent diabetes in the childhood. Br Med J 1990; 300: 1302–6.
- Drell DW, Notkins AL. Multiple immunological abnormalities in patients with type 1 (insulin-dependent) diabetes mellitus. Diabetologia 1987; 30: 132–43.
- Reaven GM. Role of insulin resistance in human disease. Diabetes 1988; 37: 1595–607.
- Barrett-Connor E, Khaw KT, Yen SS. Endogenous sex hormone levels in older adult men with diabetes mellitus. Am J Epidemiol 1990; 132: 895–901.
- Naessén T, Parker R, Persson I, Zack M, Adami HO. Time trends in incidence rates of first hip fracture in the Uppsala Health Care Region, Sweden, 1965–1983. Am J Epidemiol 1989; 130: 289–99.
- Swedish Cancer Registry. Cancer Incidence in Sweden 1965–1985 (Annual publications). Stockholm, Sweden: National Board of Health and Welfare, 1969–89.
- BailarIII JC, Ederer P. Significance factors for the ratio of a Poisson variable to its expectation. Biometrics 1964; 20: 639–43.
- Jain M, Howe GR, St. Louis P, Miller AB. Coffee and alcohol as determinants of risk of pancreas cancer: a case-control study from Toronto. Int J Cancer 1991; 47: 384–9.
- Mack TM, Pancreas. In: Schottenfeld D, Fraumeni JFJr, eds., Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention. Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders, 1982: 638–67.
- Ben G, Gnudi L, Maran A, et al. Effects of chronic alcohol intake on carbohydrate and lipid metabolism in subjects with type II (non-insulin-dependent) diabetes mellitus. Am J Med 1991; 90: 70–6.
- International Agency for Research on Cancer. Alcohol Drinking. Lyon, France: IARC 1988; IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans, Vol. 44.
- Flyvbjerg A, Orskov H. Growth hormone, insulin-like growth factors and diabetes. In: Alberti KGMM, Krall LP, eds, The Diabetes Annual 5. Amsterdam: Elsevier Science Publishers, BV, 1990: 642–56.
- Henderson JR, Daniel PM, Fraser P. A e pancreas as a single organ: The influence of the endocrine upon the exocrine part of the gland. Gut 1981; 22: 158–67.
- Grill V, Gutniak M, Roovete A, Efendic S. A stimulating effect of glucose on somatostatin release is impaired in non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1984; 59: 293–7.
- Lamberts SW, Krenning EP, Klljn JGM, Reubi JC. The clinical use of somatostatin analogues in the treatment of cancer. Baillière's Clin Endocrinol Metab 1990; 4: 29–49.
- Liebow C, Hierowski M, Sapin K. Hormonal control of pancreatic cancer growth. Pancreas 1986; 1: 44–8.
- Chou CK, Ho LT, Ting LP, et al. Selective suppression of insulin-induced proliferation of cultured human hepatoma cells by somatostatin. J Clin Invest 1987; 79: 175–8.
- Kelsey JL, Hildreth NG. Breast and Gynecologic Cancer Epidemiology. Elorida: CRC Press Inc, 1983: 71–91.
- Pettersson, B. Risk factors for endometrial carcinoma. A case-control study (Dissertation). Uppsala, Sweden: Aeta Universitatis Upsaliensis, 1985.
- Grönroos M, Tyrkko J, Siiteri PK, Salmi T, Haataja M, Paul R. Cytolysis and karyopyknosis in postmenopausal vaginal smears as markers of endometrial cancer, diabetes and obesity. Studies based on a ten-year follow-up. Acta Cytol 1986; 30: 628–32.
- Chodak GW, Schoenberg HW. Progress and problems in screening for carcinoma of the prostate. World J Surg 1989; 13: 60–4.
- Ross RK, Paganini-Hill A, Henderson BE. Epidemiology of prostatic cancer. In: Skinner DG, Lieskovsky G, eds. Diagnosis and Management of Genitourinary Cancer. Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders, 1988: 40–5.
- Fushimi H, Horie H, Kameyama M, et al. Low testosterone levels in diabetic men and animals: a possible role in testicular impotence. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 1989; 6: 297–301.
- Madsbad S, Gluud C, Bennett P, Krarup T. Rapid changes in plasma androgens during insulin withdrawal in male type 1 (insulin-dependent) diabetics. J Endocrinol Invest 1986; 9: 21–5.
- Small M, MacRury S, Beastall GH, MacCuish AC. Oestradiol levels in diabetic men with and without previous myocardial infarction. Q J Med 1987; 64: 617–23.
- Cancer risk in patients with diabetes mellitus
Cancer Causes & Control
Volume 2, Issue 5 , pp 307-314
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Cancer risk
- cohort study
- Industry Sectors