Modern assemblages of arctic and alpine Chironomidae as analogues for late-glacial communities
- Ian R. Walker
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Surficial sediment data, illustrating the differences between arctic and temperate chironomid faunas, are presented and briefly discussed.
- Danks, H. V., 1981. Arctic Arthropods: A Review of Systematics and Ecology with Particular Reference to the North American Fauna. Ent. Soc. Can. Ottawa. 608 pp.
- de March L., B. de March & W. Eddy, 1978. Limnological, fisheries, and stream zoobenthic studies at Stanwell-Fletcher Lake, a large high arctic lake. Arctic Islands Pipeline Program, Preliminary Report 1977. Dept. of Indian and Northern Affairs Publ. QS-8160–004-EE-A1, Ottawa.
- Johnson, M. G. & O. C. McNeil, 1988. Fossil midge association in relation to trophic and acidic state of the Turkey lakes. Can. J. Fish. aquat. Sci. 45 (Suppl. 1): 136–144.
- Oliver, D. R., 1964. A limnological investigation of a large arctic lake, Nettilling Lake, Baffin Island. Arctic 17: 69–83.
- Sæther, O. A., 1975. Nearctic chironomids as indicators of lake typology. Verh. int. Ver. Limnol. 19: 3127–3133.
- Siciński, J., 1988. New data on the rare species Pseudodiamesa nivosa (Goetghebuer) (Diptera, Chironomidae). Aquatic Insects 10: 73–76.
- Timms, B. V., U. T. Hammer & J. W. Sheard, 1986. A study of benthic communities in some saline lakes in Saskatchewan and Alberta, Canada. Int. Revue ges. Hydrobiol. 71: 759–777.
- Uutula, A. J., 1986. Paleolimnological assessment of the effects of lake acidification on Chironomidae (Diptera) assemblages in the Adirondack region of New York. Ph.D. thesis, State Univ. of N.Y., Coll. Environ. Sci. For., Syracuse, U.S.A
- Walker, I. R., 1982. The Chironomidae (Diptera) of shallow, humic lakes and bog pools, and their value as palaeoenvironmental indicators. M.Sc. Thesis, Univ. Waterloo, Waterloo, Ont.
- Walker, I. R. & R. W. Mathewes, 1989. Chironomidae (Diptera) remains in surficial lake sediments from the Canadian Cordillera: analysis of the fauna across an altitudinal gradient. J. Paleolimnol 2: 61–80.
- Walker, I. R. & C. G. Paterson, 1983. Post-glacial chironomid succession in two small humic lakes in the New Brunswick-Nova Scotia (Canada) border area. Freshwat. Invertebr. Biol. 2: 61–73.
- Warwick, W. F., 1982. The palaeolimnology of Pasqua Lake, southeastern Saskatchewan. Can. Dep. Envir., Inland Wat. Dir., Nat. Wat. Res. Inst. Tech. Rep. W.N.R.-82–1, 70 pp.
- Welch, H. E., 1976. Ecology of Chironomidae (Diptera) in a polar lake. J. Fish. Res. Bd Can. 33: 227–247.
- Wiederholm, T. (ed.), 1983. Chironomidae of the Holarctic Region: Keys and Diagnoses, Part I, Larvae. Ent. scand. Suppl. 18: 1–457.
- Modern assemblages of arctic and alpine Chironomidae as analogues for late-glacial communities
Volume 214, Issue 1 , pp 223-227
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Ian R. Walker (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Biology Dept., Queen's Univ., Kingston, Ontario, K7L 3N6, Canada