Effect of incubation and preservation on resting egg hatching and mixis in the derived clones of the rotifer Brachionus plicatilis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The marine rotifer Brachionus plicatilis typicus (Clone 8105A, Univ. of Tokyo) was cultured in 500 ml beakers to form resting eggs. Tetraselmis tetrathele was used as a culture food. Just after formation, resting eggs were exposed to various temperature (5–25 °C) and light regimes (24L: OD and OL : 24D). When eggs were exposed to light just after formation, the eggs hatched sporadically over a month. No hatching was observed for six months when eggs were preserved under dark conditions regardless of the temperature. These eggs hatched simultaneously after being exposed to light and eggs preserved at 5 °C showed twice as high hatching rate (40%) as that of eggs preserved at 15–25 °C (24%). Clones from resting eggs that were kept under different temperature and light regimes were reared individually to the third generation. Incubation at 25 °C with lighting produced the highest (5.4% and 5.2 %) rate of mictic females during their 2nd and 3rd generations, respectively. The lowest rates (0 and 1.5%) were found when the eggs were kept at 5 °C in total darkness for six months. A lower rate of amictic female production was found in clones with higher rates of mixis.
- Allen, E. & E. Nelson, 1910. On the artificial culture of marine plankton organisms. J. mar. biol. Ass. UK. 8: 421–474.
- Clement, P., R. Pourriot & C. Rougier, 1976. Les facteurs exogenes et endogenes qui controlent l'apparition des males chez les Rotiferes. Bull. Soc. zool. Fr. 101: 86–95.
- Fu, Y., Y. Natsukari & K. Hirayama, 1989. A preliminary study on genetics of two types of the rotifer Brachionus plicatilis. NOAA Technical Report NMFS, in press.
- Gilbert, J. J., 1974. Dormancy in Rotifers. Trans. am. microsc. Soc. 93: 490–513.
- Gilbert, J. J., 1977. Mictic female production in monogonont rotifers. Arch. Hydrobiol. Beih. 8: 142–155.
- Gilbert, J. J., 1980. Some effects of diet on the biology of the Rotifer Asplanchna and Brachionus. In: Nutrition in the lower Metazoa. Pergamon Press, Oxford: 57–71.
- Hagiwara, A., A. Hino & R. Hirano, 1985. Combined effects of environmental conditions on the hatching of fertilized eggs of the rotifer Brachionus plicatilis collected from an outdoor pond. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi. 51: 755–758.
- Hagiwara, A., A. Hino & R. Hirano, 1988. Comparison of resting egg formation among five Japanese stocks of the rotifer Brachionus plicatilis. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi. 54: 577–580.
- Hino, A. & R. Hirano, 1976. Ecological studies on the mechanism of bisexual reproduction in the rotifer Brachionus plicatilis-I. General aspects of bisexual reproduction. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi. 43: 1147–1155.
- Hino, A. & R. Hirano, 1977. Ecological studies on the mechanism of bisexual reproduction in the rotifer Brachionus plicatilis-II. Effects of cumulative parthenogenetic generation. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi. 43: 1147–1155.
- Hino, A., 1983. Life cycle — especially on the bisexual reproduction inducing factors. In: The rotifer Brachionus plicatilis — Biology and mass culture, pp 22–34. Ed. by Nippon Suisan Gakkai. Tokyo: Koseisha Koseikaku. (In Japanese).
- Hino, A. & R. Hirano, 1985. Relationship between the temperature given at the time of fertilized egg formation and bisexual reproduction pattern in the deriving strain of the rotifer Brachionus plicatilis. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi. 51: 511–514.
- Hino, A. & R. Hirano, 1988. Relationship between water chlorinity and bisexual reproduction rate in the rotifer Brachionus plicatilis. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi. 54: 1329–1332.
- Ito, T., 1960. On the culture of the mixohaline rotifer Brachionus plicatilis O. F. Müller in the sea water. Rep. Fac. Fish. Prefect. Univ. Mie 3: 708–740.
- Lubzens, E., 1981. Rotifer resting eggs and their application to marine aquaculture. European Marie. Soc., Spec. Publ. 6: 163–179.
- Lubzens, E., G. Minkoff & S. Marom, 1985. Salinity dependence of sexual and asexual reproduction in the rotifer Brachionus plicatilis. Mar. Biol. 85: 123–126.
- Minkoff, G., E. Lubzens & D. Kahan, 1983. Environmental factors affecting hatching of rotifer (Brachionus plicatilis) resting eggs. Hydrobiologia, 104: 61–69.
- Pourriot, R. & R. Rougier, 1976. Influence de Page des parents sur la production de femelles mictiques chez Brachionus calyciflorus (Pallas) et B. rubens Ehr. (Rotiferes). C.R. Acad. Sc. Paris 283: 1497–1500.
- Pourriot, R. & T. Snell, 1983. Resting eggs in rotifers. Hydrobiologia, 104: 213–224.
- Rougier, C. & R. Pourriot, 1977. Aging and control of the reproduction in Brachionus calyciflorus (Pallas) (Rotatoria). Exp. Gerontol. 12: 137–151.
- Snell, T., 1986. Effect of temperature, salinity and food level on sexual and asexual reproduction in Brachionus plicatilis (Rotifers). Mar. Biol., 92: 157–162.
- Snell, T. & F. Hoff, 1985. The effect of environmental factors on resting egg production in the rotifer Brachionus plicatilis. J. World Maricul. Soc. 16: 484–497.
- Snell, T. & C. King, 1977. Lifespan and fecundity patterns in rotifers: the cost of reproduction. Evolution 31: 882–890.
- Snell, T. & B. Winkler, 1984. Isozyme analysis of rotifer proteins. Biochem. System. Ecol. 12: 199–202.
- Effect of incubation and preservation on resting egg hatching and mixis in the derived clones of the rotifer Brachionus plicatilis
Volume 186-187, Issue 1 , pp 415-421
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- resting eggs
- Industry Sectors