Compatibility conditions for a left Cauchy-Green strain field
- Janet A. BlumeAffiliated withDivision of Engineering and Applied Science, California Institute of Technology
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper deals chiefly with various issues pertaining to the existence and uniqueness of a finite deformation that gives rise to a prescribed right or left Cauchy-Green strain-tensor field.
Following a review and discussion of available existence and uniqueness theorems appropriate to a pre-assigned right strain field, the extent of uniqueness of a generating deformation is established under minimal smoothness and invertibility assumptions.
The remainder of the paper is devoted to the more involved corresponding existence and uniqueness questions for a given left strain-tensor field. These questions are first discussed in a three-dimensional setting and are then resolved for the special class of plane deformations. The results thus obtained stand in marked contrast to their counterparts for a given right strain field.
- Compatibility conditions for a left Cauchy-Green strain field
Journal of Elasticity
Volume 21, Issue 3 , pp 271-308
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Janet A. Blume (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Engineering and Applied Science, California Institute of Technology, 91125, Pasadena, California, U.S.A.