The effect of silicic acid on rice in a P-deficient soil
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A pot experiment was conducted to analyze the effect of silicon on the growth of rice grown in a P-deficient soil and on P availability in the soil. Silicic acid was used, rather than a silicate salt, to avoid the complication of changes in soil pH.
Shoot dry weight on silicic acid treated soil (0.47 mg Si g−1 soil) increased significantly under both nonflooded and flooded conditions. Shoot Si concentration also increased although P concentration did not. Mn concentration decreased with silicic acid, resulting in a higher P/Mn ratio in shoots.
An adsorption and desorption experiment showed that silicic acid did not displace P nor decrease the ability of the soil to adsorb P. In contrast, Si desorption increased with increasing P concentration in the solution, and Si adsorption was reduced when P was applied first.
These results suggest that silicic acid does not increase P availability in soil. Increased dry weight may be attributed to a higher P/Mn ratio in the shoot, which may improve P utilization in the plant.
- Bastisse E M 1947 Recherches sur les conditions théoriques et practiques permettant le maintien de l'assimilabilité de l'acide phosphorique dans les terres latéritiques. Ann. Agron. 16, 463–475.
- Fisher A R 1929 A preliminary note on the effect of sodium silicate in increasing the yield of barley. J. Agric. Sci. 19, 132–139.
- Higashi T and Shinagawa A 1981 Phosphorus sorption by Al(Fe)-humus complexes in volcanic ash soils. Mem. Fac. Agr. Kagoshima Univ. 17, 253–258.
- Imai H 1981 Effect of equilibrium pH on P adsorption by andosols. Jpn. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr. 52, 11–19.
- Kundu S, Kamath M B and Goswami N N 1988 Effect of sulfate silicate and fluoride anions I. Phosphate fixation in soil. J. Indian Soc. Soil Sci. 36, 43–47.
- Laws W D 1951 Water-soluble silicate application to a calcareous clay soil and effect on soil properties and nutrient uptake by plants. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. Proc. 15, 89–92.
- Ma J F and Takahashi E 1989 Effect of silicic acid on phosphorus uptake by rice plant. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr. 35, 227–234.
- Ma J F and Takahashi E 1990 Effect of silicon on the growth and phosphorus uptake of rice plants under different phosphorus supplies. Plant and Soil 126, 115–119.
- McKeague J A and Cline M G 1963a Silica in soil solutions. I. The form and concentration of dissolved silica in aqueous extracts of some soils. Can. J. Soil Sci. 43, 71–82.
- McKeague J A and Cline M G 1963b Silica in soil solutions. II. The adsorption of monosilicic acid by soil and by other substances. Can. J. Soil Sci. 43, 83–96.
- Miura K 1986 Genesis of Soils derived from Various Types of Parent Rock in Southwestern Japan. Doctor thesis, Kyoto University.
- Noda M and Komai Y 1958 Effect of silicate materials on the availability of inorganic phosphate in the soil. In Studies on Maximizing the Yield of Agricultural Products by the Application of Silicate Materials. pp 100–115. Monbusho, Japan.
- Obihara C H and Russell E W 1972 Specific adsorption of silicate and phosphate by soils. J. Soil Sci. 23, 105–117.
- Okuda A and Takahashi E 1961 Studies on the physiological role of silicon in crop plants (part 1). Discussion on the silicon deficient culture method. J. Sci. Soil Manure, JPN. 32, 475–480.
- Roy A C, Ali M Y, Fox R L and Silva J A 1971 Influence of calcium silicate on phosphate solubility and availability in Hawaiian Latosols. Proc. Int. Symp. Fert. Eval. (New Delhi) 1, 757–765.
- Saito K and Shoji S 1984 Silica adsorption and dissolution properties of andosols from northeastern Japan as related to their noncrystalline clay mineralogical composition. Soil Sci. 138, 341–354.
- Shoji S and Fujiwara Y 1984 Active aluminum and iron in the humus horizons of andosols from northeastern Japan: Their forms, properties, and significance in clay weathering. Soil Sci. 137, 217–226.
- Silva J A 1971 Possible mechanisms for crop response to silicate applications. Proc. Int. Symp. Soil Fert. Eval. (New Delhi) 1, 805–814.
- Syouji K 1981 Application effect of calcium silicate, rice straw and citrate on phosphorus availability in soil. Jpn. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr. 52, 253–259.
- Toth S J 1939 The stimulating effects of silicates on plant yields in relation to anion displacement. Soil Sci. 47, 123–141.
- Wada K and Gunjigake N 1979 Active aluminum and iron phosphate adsorption in ando soils. Soil Sci. 128, 331–336.
- The effect of silicic acid on rice in a P-deficient soil
Plant and Soil
Volume 126, Issue 1 , pp 121-125
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- P adsorption
- P desorption
- P/Mn ratio
- silicic acid
- Yakuno soil
- Industry Sectors