Isolation of a full-length cDNA encoding polyphenol oxidase from sugarcane, a C4 grass
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Polyphenol oxidase (PPO) activity in sugarcane (a C4 grass) was highest in the growing point and declined down the stalk. Sugarcane PPO with an apparent molecular mass of 45 kDa was purified to homogeneity from immature stem tissue. Western analysis of sugarcane extracts with a polyclonal antibody raised to this protein suggested it resulted from cleavage of a 60 kDa protein during purification. The antibody was used to screen a sugarcane stem cDNA library. A full-length PPO clone (sugppol) was characterised and shown to encode a 67 kDa precursor protein comprising a plastid transit sequence of 8 kDa and a mature PPO protein of 59 kDa. High levels of expression ofsugppol were detected in the growing point of the stalk and in the immature tissue immediately below it, but no message was detected in RNA from mature stem or leaf. Comparison with other PPO sequences indicated thatsugppol was significantly different to PPO genes in C3 dicotyledonous plants.
- Bachem CWB, Speckmann G-J, van derLinde PCG, Verheggen FTM, Hunt MD, Steffens JC, Zabeau M: Antisense expression of polyphenol oxidase genes inhibits enzymatic expression in potato tubers. Bio/technology 12: 1101–1105 (1994).
- Boss PK, Gardner RC, Janssen B-J, Ross GS: An apple polyphenol oxidase cDNA is upregulated in wounded tissues. Plant Mol Biol 27: 429–433 (1995).
- Bower R, Birch RG: Transgenic sugarcane plants via microprojectile bombardment. Plant JI 2: 409–416 (1992).
- Bucheli CS, Robinson SP: Contribution of enzymic browning to colour in sugarcane juice. J Agric Food Chem 42: 257–261 (1994).
- Campbell WH, Gowri G: Codon usage in higher plants, green algae and cyanobacteria. Plant Physiol 92: 1–11 (1990).
- Cary JW, Lax AR, Flurkey WH: Cloning and characterisation of cDNAs coding forVicia faba polyphenol oxidase. Plant Mol Biol 20: 245–253 (1992).
- Daniels J, Roach BT: Taxonomy and evolution. In: Heinz DJ (ed) Sugarcane Improvement through Breeding, pp. 7–84, Elsevier, New York (1987).
- deBoer AD, Weisbeek EC: Chloroplast protein topogenesis: import, sorting and assembly. Biochim Biophys Acta 1071: 221–253 (1991).
- Dry IB, Robinson SP: Molecular cloning and characterisation of grape berry polyphenol oxidase. Plant Mol Biol 26: 495–502 (1994).
- Flurkey WH: In vitro biosynthesis ofVicia faba polyphenoloxidase. Plant Physiol 79: 564–567 (1985).
- Hunt MD, Eannetta NT, Haifeng Y, Newman SM, Steffens JC: cDNA cloning and expression of potato polyphenol oxidase. Plant Mol Biol 21: 59–68 (1993).
- Mayer AM, Harel E: Polyphenol oxidases in plants. Phytochemistry 18: 193–215 (1979).
- Mayer AM, Harel E: Phenoloxidases and their significance in fruit and vegetables. In: Fox PF (ed) Food Enzymology, pp. 373–398, Elsevier Science Publishers, New York (1991).
- Moore PH: Anatomy and Morphology. In: Heinz DJ (ed) Sugarcane Improvement through Breeding, pp. 85–142. Elsevier Science Publishers, Amsterdam (1987).
- Newman SM, Eannetta NT, Yu H, Prince JP, deVincente MC, Tanksley SD, Steffens JC: Organisation of the tomato polyphenol oxidase gene family. Plant Mol Biol 21: 1035–1051 (1993).
- Rathjen AH, Robinson SP: Characterisation of a variegated grapevine mutant showing reduced polyphenol oxidase activity. Aust J Plant Physiol. 19: 43–54 (1992).
- Robinson SP, Dry IB: Broad bean leaf polyphenol oxidase is a 60 kilodalton protein susceptible to proteolytic cleavage. Plant Physiol 99: 317–323 (1992).
- Schägger H, VonJagow G: Tricine-sodium dodecyl sulfate-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis for the separation of proteins in the range from 1 to 100 kDa. Anal Biochem 166: 368–379 (1987).
- Shahar T, Hennig N, Gutfinger T, Hareven D, Lifschitz E: The tomato 66.3-kD polyphenoloxidase gene: molecular identification and developmental expression Plant Cell 4: 135–147 (1992).
- Steffens JC, Harel E, Hunt MD: Polyphenol oxidase. In: Ellis BE, Kuroki GW, Stafford HA (eds) Genetic Engineering of Plant Secondary Metabolism. Recent Advances in Phytochemistry, vol. 28, pp. 275–312, Plenum Press, New York (1994).
- Thygesen PW, Dry IB, Robinson SP: Polyphenol oxidase in potato: a multigene family exhibiting differential expression patterns. Plant Physiol 109: 525–531 (1995).
- Vaughn KC, Lax AR, Duke SO: Polyphenol oxidase: the chloroplast oxidase with no established function. Physiol Plant 72: 659–665 (1988).
- Isolation of a full-length cDNA encoding polyphenol oxidase from sugarcane, a C4 grass
Plant Molecular Biology
Volume 31, Issue 6 , pp 1233-1238
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- polyphenol oxidase
- Industry Sectors