Expression of desiccation-related proteins from the resurrection plant Craterostigma plantagineum in transgenic tobacco
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Three cDNAs encoding desiccation-induced proteins from the resurrection plant Craterostigma plantagineum were each ligated to a triplicated CaMV 35S promoter and a nopaline synthase 3′-flanking region in an Agrobacterium vector and introduced into tobacco. Transgenic plants expressed the encoded Craterostigma proteins at high levels. This did not lead to changes in the phenotype, in the growth habit or in basic photosynthetic parameters. In tobacco, one protein was targeted to the chloroplast stroma which is its normal location in Craterostigma. These desiccation-related proteins are not sufficient per se to increase drought tolerance as measured by ion-leakage tests.
- Bartels D, Schneider K, Terstappen G, Piatkowski D, Salamini F: Molecular cloning of abscisic acid-modulated genes which are induced during desiccation of the resurrection plant Craterostigma plantagineum. Planta 181: 27–34 (1990).
- Bevan MW: Binary Agrobacterium vectors for plant transformation. Nucl Acids Res 12: 8711–8721 (1984).
- Blum A, Ebercon A: Cell membrane stability as a measure of drought and heat tolerance in wheat. Crop Sci 21: 43–47 (1991).
- Guilley H, Dudley K, Jonard G, Richards K, Hirth L: Transcription of cauliflower mosaic virus DNA: Detection of promoter sequences, and characterization of transcripts. Cell 21: 285–294 (1982).
- Mundy J, Chua N-H: Abscisic acid and water-stress induce the expression of a novel rice gene. EMBO J 7: 2279–2286 (1988).
- Piatkowski D, Schneider K, Salamini F, Bartels D: Characterization of five abscisic acid-responsive cDNA clones isolated from the desiccation-tolerant plant Craterostigma plantagineum and their relationship to other water-stress genes. Plant Physiol 94: 1682–1688 (1990).
- Skriver K, Mundy J: Gene expression in response to abscisic acid and osmotic stress. Plant Cell 2: 503–512 (1990).
- Sullivan CY: Mechanisms of heat and drought resistance in grain sorghum and methods of measurement. In: Sorghum in the Seventies, pp. 247–264. Oxford University Press, Oxford/IBH Publishing Co, New Delhi (1972).
- Yancey PH, Clark ME, Hand SC, Bowlus RD, Somero GN: Living with water stress: Evolution of osmolyte systems. Science 217: 1214–1222 (1982).
- Expression of desiccation-related proteins from the resurrection plant Craterostigma plantagineum in transgenic tobacco
Plant Molecular Biology
Volume 20, Issue 3 , pp 555-558
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Chloroplast targeting
- desiccation tolerance
- drought-related proteins
- resurrection plant (Craterostigma)
- transgenic tobacco
- Industry Sectors