The physiological basis for genetic improvement of oil palm in Malaysia
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Yield of Deli dura oil palms after four generations of selection was 60% greater than that of the unselected base population. Total above-ground dry matter production was increased by selection, apparently through better utilisation of solar radiation. The dry matter requirement for vegetative growth was unchanged, so a greater surplus remained for fruit production in the selected palms. Crossing the dura and pisifera to give the thin-shelled tenera fruit type improved partitioning of dry matter within the fruit, giving a 30% increase in oil yield at the expense of shell, without changing total dry matter production.
- Austin, R.B., Bingham, J., Blackwell, R.D., Evans, L.T., Ford, M.A., Morgan, C.L., Taylor, M. (1980) Genetic improvements in winter wheat yields since 1900 and associated physiological changes. J. agric. Sci., Camb. 94: pp. 675-689
- Beirnaert, A. & R. Vanderweyen, 1941. Contribution a l'étude génétique et biométrique des variétés d'Elaeis guineensis Jacquin. Publ. Inst. Nat. Etude agron. Congo Belge, Sér. Sci., 27, 101 pp.
- Blaak, G., Sparnaaij, L.D., Menendez, T. (1963) Breeding and inheritance in the oil palm (Elaeis guineensis Jacq.) II. Methods of bunch quality analysis. J. West Afr. Inst. Oil Palm Res. 4: pp. 146-155
- Breure, C.J. (1988) The effect of different planting densities on yield trends in oil palm. Expl Agric. 24: pp. 37-52
- Breure, C.J., Corley, R.H.V. (1983) Selection of oil palms for high density planting. Euphytica 32: pp. 177-186
- Corley, R.H.V. (1973) Effects of plant density on growth and yield of oil palm. Expl Agric. 9: pp. 169-180
- Corley, R.H.V. & C.R. Donough, 1990. Potential yield of oil-palm clones — the importance of planting density. Paper presented at Workshop on Yield potential in the oil palm, Phuket, Thailand, 29–30th October.
- Corley, R.H.V., Hardon, J.J., Tan, G.Y. (1971) Analysis of growth of the oil palm (Elaeis guineensis Jacq.) 1. Estimation of growth parameters and application in breeding. Euphytica 20: pp. 307-315
- Corley, R.H.V., Gray, B.S., Ng, S.K. (1971) Productivity of the oil palm (Elaeis guineensis Jacq.) in Malaysia. Expl Agric. 7: pp. 129-136
- Corley, R.H.V., Hardon, J.J., Ooi, S.C. (1973) Some evidence for genetically controlled variation in photosynthetic rate of oil palm seedlings. Euphytica 22: pp. 48-55
- Davidson, L., 1991. Management for efficient, cost-effective and productive oil palm plantations. Paper presented at International oil palm conference, Kuala Lumpur, Sept 9–12.
- Derieux, M., Darrigrand, M., Gallais, A., Barriere, Y., Bloc, D., Montalant, Y. (1987) Estimation du progrès génétique realisé chez le mais grain en France entre 1950 et 1985. Agronomie 7: pp. 1-11
- Gardner, F.P., Valle, R., McCloud, D.E. (1990) Yield characteristics of ancient races of maize compared to a modern hybrid. Agron. J. 82: pp. 864-868
- Hardon, J.J., Thomas, R.L. (1968) Breeding and selection of the oil palm in Malaya. Oléagineux 23: pp. 85-90
- Hardon, J.J., Williams, C.N., Watson, I. (1969) Leaf area and yield in the oil palm in Malaysia. Expl. Agric. 5: pp. 25-32
- Hardon, J.J., Corley, R.H.V., Ooi, S.C. (1972) Analysis of growth of oil palm 2. Estimation of genetic variances of growth parameters and yield of fruit bunches. Euphytica 21: pp. 257-264 CrossRef
- Hardon, J.J., Corley, R.H.V., Lee, C.H. Breeding and selecting the oil palm. In: Abbot, A.J., Atkin, R.K. eds. (1987) Improving vegetatively propagated crops. Academic Press, London, pp. 63-81
- Hartley, C.W.S. (1977) The oil palm. Longman, London & New York
- Kraalingen, D.W.G., Breure, C.J., Spitters, C.J.T. (1989) Simulation of oil palm growth and yield. Agric. Forest Meteorol. 46: pp. 227-244 CrossRef
- Lee, C.H., Yong, Y.Y., Donough, C., Chiu, S.B. (1990) Selection progress in the Deli dura population. Proc. Workshop progress of oil palm breeding populations. Palm Oil Res. Inst., Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, pp. 81-89
- Perry, M.W., D'Antuono, M.F. (1989) Yield improvement and associated characteristics of some Australian spring wheats introduced between 1860 and 1982. Aust. J. agric. Res. 40: pp. 457-472
- Riggs, T.J., Hanson, P.R., Start, N.D., Miles, D.M., Morgan, C.L., Ford, M.A. (1981) Comparison of spring barley varieties grown in England and Wales between 1880 and 1980. J. agric. Sci., Camb. 97: pp. 599-610
- Rosenquist, E.A., Corley, R.H.V., Greef, W. (1990) Improvement oftenera populations using germplasm from breeding programmes in Cameroon and Zaire. Proc. Workshop Progress of oil palm breeding populations. Palm Oil Res. Inst., Malaysia, pp. 37-69
- Siddique, K.H.M., Belford, R.K., Perry, M.W., Tennant, D. (1989) Growth, development and light interception of old and modern wheat cultivars in a Mediterranean-type environment. Aust. J. agric. Res. 40: pp. 473-487
- Smith, B.G., 1991. Oil palm breeding: the potential for using physiological selection criteria. Paper presented at International oil palm conference, Kuala Lumpur, Sept 9–12.
- Squire, G.R., 1984. Light interception, productivity and yield of oil palm. Palm Oil Res. Inst. Malaysia, internal report, 73 pp.
- Squire, G.R., Corley, R.H.V. Oil palm. In: Sethuraj, M.R., Raghavendra, A.S. eds. (1987) Tree crop physiology. Elsevier Science Publishers, Amsterdam, pp. 141-167
- Tollenaar, M. (1991) Physiological basis of genetic improvement of maize hybrids in Ontario from 1959 to 1988. Crop Sci. 31: pp. 119-124
- The physiological basis for genetic improvement of oil palm in Malaysia
Volume 60, Issue 3 , pp 179-184
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Elaeis guineensis
- harvest index
- oil palm
- selection progress
- Industry Sectors