Molecular cloning of cDNAs encoding a putative cell wall protein from Zea mays and immunological identification of related polypeptides
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Copy DNAs corresponding to a highly repetitive, proline-rich protein from maize have been cloned by differential screening of a coleoptile cDNA library. The deduced amino acid sequence contains a single repetitive element of carrot extensin (Ser-Pro-Pro-Pro-Pro). The related mRNAs have a defined distribution in tissues of the plant and are accumulated mainly in the coleoptile node and root tip. A peptide that corresponds to one of the repetitive elements of the protein has been synthesized and antisera have been obtained in rabbits. These antibodies react against crude preparations of coleoptile cell wall and against polypeptides extracted following the protocols described for the extraction of extensin. From these data it is concluded that the cDNAs correspond to a family of cell wall glycoproteins from maize.
- Alwine JC, Kemp DJ, Stark JR: Method for detection of specific RNAs in agarose gels by transfer to diazobenzyloxymethyl-paper and hybridization with DNA probes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 74: 5350–5354 (1977).
- Bernard O, Gough NM: Nucleotide sequence of immunoglobulin heavy chain joining segments between translocated VH and mu constant region genes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 77: 3630–3634 (1980).
- Bradford MM: A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal Biochem 72: 248–254 (1976).
- Burr FA, Burr B: In vitro uptake and processing of prezein and other preproteins by maize membranes. J Cell Biol 90: 427–434 (1980).
- Cassab GI: Arabinogalactan proteins during the development of soybean root nodules. Planta 168: 441–446 (1986).
- Chen J, Varner JE: An extracellular matrix protein in plants: characterization of a genomic clone for carrot extensin. EMBO J 4: 2145–2151 (1985).
- Chen J, Varner JE: Isolation and characterization of cDNA clones for carrot extensin and a proline-rich 33 kDa protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 82: 4399–4403 (1985).
- Craig S, Millerd A, Goodchild DJ: Structural aspects of protein accumulation in developing pea cotyledons. III. Immunocytochemical localization of legumin and vicilin using antibodies shown to be specific by the Enzyme-Linked Immunoabsorbent Assay (ELISA). Aust J Plant Physiol 7: 339–351 (1980).
- Dretzen G, Bellard M, Sassone-Corsi P, Chambon P: A reliable method for the recovery of DNA fragments from agarose and acrylamide gels. Anal Biochem 112: 295–298 (1981).
- Esquerré-Tugaye MT, Laffite C, Mazeau D, Toppan A, Touze A: Cell surfaces in plant-microorganism interaction. II. Evidence for the accumulation of hydroxyproline-rich glycoproteins in the cell wall of diseased plants as a defense mechanism. Plant Physiol 64: 320–326 (1979).
- Fischer GB, Store BA, Clarke AE: Arabinogalactan-proteins: structure, biosynthesis and function. Ann Rev Plant Physiol 35: 57–70 (1983).
- Franssen HJ, Nap JP, Gloudemans T, Stiekema W, van Dam H, Govers F, Louwerse J, van Kammen A, Bisseling T: Characterization of cDNA for nodulin-75 of soybean: A gene product involved in early stages of root nodule development. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 84: 4495–4499 (1987).
- Fry SC: Isodityrosine: a new cross-linking amino acid from plant cell wall glycoproteins. Biochem J 203: 493–504 (1982).
- Garfinkel MD, Pruitt RE, Meyerowitz EM: DNA sequence, gene regulation and modular protein evolution in the Drosophila 68C glue gene cluster. J Mol Biol 168: 765–789 (1983).
- Garnier J, Osguthorpe DJ, Robson B: Analysis of the accuracy and implications of simple methods for predicting the secondary structure of globular proteins. J Mol Biol 120: 97–117 (1978).
- Giralt E, Andreu D, Miro P, Pedroso E: Solid phase synthesis of Tyrosine-containing histone fragments. Tetrahedron 39: 3185–3193 (1983).
- Gubler U, Hoffman BJ: A simple and very efficient method for generating cDNA libraries. Gene 25: 263–269 (1983).
- Hanahan D: Studies on transformation of Escherichia coli plasmids. J Mol Biol 166: 557–580 (1983).
- Hong JC, Nagao RT, Key JL: Characterization and sequence analysis of a developmentally regulated putative cell wall protein gene isolated from soybean. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 262: 8367–8376 (1987).
- Hopp TP, Wood KR: Prediction of protein antigenic determinants from amino acid sequences. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 78: 3824–3828 (1981).
- Kauffman D, Hofman T, Bennick A, Keller P: Basic proline-rich proteins from human parotid saliva: complete covalent structure of proteins IB-1 and IB-6. Biochemistry 25: 2387–2392 (1986).
- Kieliszewski M, Lamport DTA: Purification and partial characterization of a hydroxiproline-rich glycoprotein in a graminaceous monocot, Zea mays. Plant Physiol 85: 823–827 (1987).
- Laemmli UK: Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227: 680–685 (1970).
- Lamport DTA: The protein components of primary cell wall. Adv Botan Res 2: 151–218 (1965).
- Lamport DTA, Miller DH: Hydroxyproline arabinosides in the plant kingdom. Plant Physiol 48: 454–456 (1971).
- Lehrach H, Diamond D, Wozney J, Boedtker H: RNA molecular weight determination by gel electrophoresis under denaturing conditions, a critical reexamination. Biochemistry 21: 4743–4751 (1977).
- Ludevid MD, Torrent M, Martínez-Izquierdo JA, Puigdomènech P, Palau J: Subcellular localization of glutelin-2 in maize (Zea mays L.) endosperm. Plant Mol Biol 3: 227–234 (1984).
- Maniatis T, Fritsch EF, Sambrook J: Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, NY (1982).
- Maxam AM, Gilbert W: Sequencing end-labelled DNA with base-specific chemical cleavages. Meth Enzymol 65: 499–560 (1980).
- Mazeau D, Rumeau D, Esquerré-Tugaye MT: Two different families of hydroxyproline-rich glycproteins in mellon callus: biochemical and immunochemical studies. Plant Physiol 86: 540–546 (1982).
- Morrisey JH: Silver stain for proteins in polyacrylamide gels: a modified procedure with enhanced uniform sensitivity. Anal Biochem 117: 307–310 (1981).
- Okayama H, Berg P: High-efficiency cloning of full-length DNA. Mol Cell Biol 2: 161–170 (1982).
- Pérez-Grau L, Cortadas J, Puigdomènech P, Palau J: Accumulation and subcellular localization of glutelin-2 transcripts during maize endosperm maturation. FEBS Lett 202: 145–148 (1986).
- Prat S, Cortadas J, Puigdomènech P, Palau J: Nucleic acid (cDNA) and amino acid sequences of the maize endosperm protein glutelin-2. Nucl Acids Res 13: 1493–1504 (1985).
- Prat S, Pérez-Grau L, Puigdomènech P: Multiple variability in the sequence of a family of maize endosperm proteins. Gene 52: 41–49 (1987).
- Sanger MP, Lamport DTA: A microapparatus for liquid hydrogen fluoride solvolysis. Sugar and aminosugar composition of Erysiphe graminis and Triticum aestivum cell walls. Anal Biochem 128: 66–71 (1983).
- Sanger F, Nicklen S, Coulson AR: DNA sequencing with chain-terminating inhibitors. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 74: 5463–5467 (1977).
- Showalther AM, Bell JN, Cramer CL, Bailey JA, Varner JE, Lamb CJ: Accumulation of hydroxyproline-rich glycoprotein mRNAs in response to fungal elicitor and infection. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 82: 6551–6555 (1985).
- Tam JP, Heath WF, Merrifield RB: SN2 deprotection of synthetic peptides with a low concentration of HF in dimethyl sulfide: evidence and applications in peptide synthesis. J Am Chem Soc 105: 6442–6445 (1983).
- Towbin H, Staehelin T, Gordon J: Electrophoretic transfer of proteins from polyacrylamide gels to nitrocellulose sheets: procedure and some applications. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 76: 4350–4354 (1979).
- Villa-Komaroff L, Efstratiadis A, Broome S, Lomedico P, Tizard T, Naber SP, Chick WL, Gilbert W: A bacterial clone synthesizing insulin. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 75: 3727–3731 (1978).
- Molecular cloning of cDNAs encoding a putative cell wall protein from Zea mays and immunological identification of related polypeptides
Plant Molecular Biology
Volume 11, Issue 4 , pp 483-493
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- cDNA cloning
- cell wall proteins
- differential screening
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Departamento de Genética Molecular, Centro de Investigación y Desarrollo, CSIC, Jorge Girona Salgado 18, 08034, Barcelona, Spain
- 3. Departamento de Química Orgánica, Facultad de Químicas, Universidad de Barcelona, Diagonal 647, 08028, Barcelona, Spain