Isolation and characterization of a rice cDNA which encodes a ubiquitin protein and a 52 amino acid extension protein
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We isolated a rice cDNA clone encoding the ubiquitin protein fused to a ribosomal protein. This clone encodes a single ubiquitin polypeptide and extension protein of 53 amino acids. This extension protein shows a high degree of homology with those of the yeast ubil or ubi2 gene, both of which encode the same protein. Northern blot analysis suggested that the expression pattern of this gene is more similar to other ribosomal protein genes not linked to ubiquitin protein than to the polyubiquitin gene.
- Callis J, Raasch JA, Vierstra RD: Ubiquitin extension proteins of Arabidopsis thaliana—Structure, localization, and expression of theirs promoters in transgenic tobacco. J Biol Chem 265: 12486–12493 (1990).
- Callis LP, Shanklin J, Wettern M, Vierstra RD: Sequence of a cDNA from Chlamydomonas reinhardtii encoding a ubiquitin 52 amino acid extension protein. Nucl Acids Res 17: 8377 (1989).
- Gausing K, Jensen CB: 2 Ubiquitin long-tail fusion genes arranged as closely spaced direct repeats in barley. Gene 94: 165–171 (1990).
- Finley D, Bartel B, Varshavsky A: The tails of ubiquitin precursors are ribosomal proteins whose fusion to ubiquitin facilitates ribosomal biogenesis. Nature 338: 394–401 (1989).
- Genschik P, Parmentier Y, Criqui MC, Fleck J: Sequence of a ubiquitin carboxyl extension protein of Nicotiana tabacum. Nucl Acids Res 18: 4007 (1990).
- Hoffman NE, Ko K, Milkowski D, Pichersky E: Isolation and characterization of tomato cDNA and genomic clones encoding the ubiquitin gene ubi3. Plant Mol Biol 17: 1189–1201 (1991).
- Ozakaynak E, Finley D, Solomon MJ, Varshavsky A: The yeast ubiquitin genes: a family of natural gene fusions. EMBO J 6: 1429–1439 (1987).
- Redman KL, Rechsteiner M: Identification of the long ubiquitin extension as ribosomal protein S27a. Nature 338: 438–440 (1989).
- Salveson G, Lloyd C, Farley D: cDNA encoding a human homolog of yeast ubiquitin 1. Nucl Acids Res 15: 5485–5486 (1987).
- Uchimiya H, Kido S, Shimazaki T, Aotsuka S, Takamatsu S, Nishi R, Hashimoto H, Matsubayashi Y, Kido N, Umeda M, Kato A: Random sequencing of cDNA libraries reveals a variety of expressed genes in cultured cells of rice (Oryza sativa L.) Plant J 2: 1005–1009 (1992).
- Isolation and characterization of a rice cDNA which encodes a ubiquitin protein and a 52 amino acid extension protein
Plant Molecular Biology
Volume 22, Issue 1 , pp 159-161
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- ribosomal protein
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Botany, Faculty of Science, Hokkaido University, 060, Sapporo, Japan
- 2. Institute of Applied Microbiology, University of Tokyo, 113, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, Japan
- 3. Plant Bioscience Laboratory, POLA Corporation, 244, Totsuka-ku, Yokohama, Japan