Linkage of genes for anthocyanin pigmentation in rice (Oryza sativa L.)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The inheritance of anthocyanin pigmentation and the interrelationship between genes governing anthocyanin pigmentation in different parts of the rice plant and genes governing panicle density were studied in the cross Suma × Wanar-1. A ratio of 45 pigmented: 19 non pigmented was realised for anthocyanin accumulation in sheath, nodal ring, internode, leaf tip, leaf margin and apiculus whereas a ratio of 3 normal:1 laxy was observed for panicle density. Pleiotropic action of a basic gene (A) and each of the two complementary duplicate genes (P a or P b) was detected. A linkage group of genes localising pigment in six plant parts was identified, the sequence of genes being P nr-P lm-P la-P a-P sh-P in. This may form part of the III ‘S p’ group of Misro et al. (1966), in which case the genes P nr and P la are proposed to be additions to this group.
- Anonymous, 1959. Genetic symbols for rice recommended by the International Rice Commission, Int. Rice Comm. Newsl. 8: 1–7.
- Butany, W. T. & R. K. Bhattacharya, 1962. Inheritance of glume length and pistil number in rice and their relationship with the occurrence of anthocyanin pigment in certain plant parts. Indian J. Genet. 22: 12–19.
- Chang, T. T., 1964. Present knowledge of rice genetics and cytogenetics. Bull. Int. Rice Res. Inst. 1: 96 pp.
- Dhulappanaver, C. V., 1973. Linkage studies in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Euphytica 22: 555–561.
- Dhulappanavar, C. V. 1979. Linkage studies in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Euphytica 28: 435–443.
- Fisher, R. A. & B. Balmukund, 1928. The estimation of linkage from the off-spring of selfed heterozygotes. J. Genet. 20: 79–92.
- Ghose, R. L. M., M. B. Ghatge & V. Subramanyam, 1960. Rice in India. Monog. Rev. edition. ICAR, New Delhi, 507 pp.
- Kondo, A., 1963. Fundamental studies on breeding rice by hybridization between Japanese and foreign rices. VII. Identification of the genes controlling anthocyanin pigmentation in Japanese and foreign rices. Jap. J. Breed. 13: 92–98. (Pl. Breed. Abst. 34: 4133).
- Kosambi, D. D., 1944. The estimation of map distances from recombination values. Ann. Eugen. 12: 172–175.
- Manjunath, A., 1973. Genetics of anthocyanin pigmentation in rice (Oriza sativa L.). Unpublished M.Sc. (Agric.) thesis submitted to the Univ. of Agric. Sci., Bangalore.
- Misro, B., R. H. Richharia & R. Thakur, 1966. Linkage studies in rice (Oryza sativa L.). VII. Identification of linkage groups in indica rice. Oryza (Special issue) 3: 96–105.
- Mitra, S. K. & P. M. Ganguli, 1932. Some observations on the characters of wild rice hybrids. Indian J. Agric. Sci. 2: 271–279.
- Nagao, S. & M. Takahashi, 1956. Genetical studies on rice plant. XXX. The third gene in apiculus colouration. Japan J. Botany 15: 141–151.
- Rahman, M. H. & D. P. Srivastava, 1968. Inheritance of anthocyanin pigmentation in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Sci. and Cult. 34: 421.
- Setty, M. V. N. & B. Misro, 1973. Complementary genic complex for anthocyanin pigmentation in the apiculus of rice (Oryza sativa L.). Can. J. Genet. Cytol. 15: 779–789.
- Thimmappaiah, 1975. Inheritance and interrelationship of genes governing few characters in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Unpublished M.Sc. (Agric.) thesis submitted to Univ. of Agric. Sci., Bangalore.
- Linkage of genes for anthocyanin pigmentation in rice (Oryza sativa L.)
Volume 30, Issue 3 , pp 747-754
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Oryza sativa
- panicle density
- Industry Sectors