Isoforms of soybean seed oil body membrane protein 24 kDa oleosin are encoded by closely related cDNAs
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We have characterized two cDNA clones for 24 kDa soybean oleosin, the seed oil body membrane protein. Differences in the predicted amino acid sequences of the two clones and the presence of a doublet on immunoblots indicate that 24 kDa oleosin exists in at least two isoforms in soybean. The predicted amino acid sequence also contains a unique carboxy terminal region that is dominated by a series of different tandem amino acid repeats.
- Hatzopoulos P, Franz G, Choy L, Sung RZ: Interactions of nuclear factors with upstream sequences of a lipid body membrane protein gene from carrot. Plant Cell 2: 457–467 (1990).
- Heidecker G, Messing J: Structural analysis of plant genes. Annu Rev Plant Physiol 37: 439–466 (1986).
- Herman EM: Immunogold localization and synthesis of an oil-body membrane protein in developing soybean seeds. Planta 172: 336–345 (1987).
- Kalinski A, Weisemann JM, Matthews BF, Herman EM: Molecular cloning of a protein associated with soybean seed oil bodies that is similar to thiol proteases of the papain family. J Biol Chem 265: 13843–13848 (1990).
- Murphy DJ, Keen JN, O'Sullivan JN, Au DMY, Edwards EW, Jackson PJ, Cummins I, Gibnons T, Shaw CH, Ryan AJ: A class of amphipathic proteins associated with lipid storage bodies in plants. Possible similarities with animal serum apolipoproteins. Biochim Biophys Acta 1088: 86–94 (1991).
- Qu R, Huang AHC: Oleosin KD 18 on the surface of oil bodies in maize. J Biol Chem 265: 2238–2243 (1990).
- Qu R, Wang S, Lin Y, Vance VB, Huang AHC: Characteristics and biosynthesis of membrane proteins of lipid bodies in scutella of maize (Zea mays L.). Biochem J 235: 57–65 (1986).
- Slack CR, Bertaud WS, Shaw BD, Holland R, Browse J, Wright H: Some studies on the composition and surface properties of oil bodies from the seed cotyledons of safflower (Carthamus tinctorius) and linseed (Linum usitatissimum). Biochem J 190: 551–561 (1980).
- Vance VB, Huang AHC: The major protein from lipid bodies of maize. J Biol Chem 262: 11275–11279 (1987).
- Vernet T, Tessier DC, Laliberte F, Dignard D, Thomas DY: The expression inEscherichia coli of a synthetic gene coding for the precursor of papain is prevented by its own putative signal sequence. Gene 77: 229–236 (1989).
- Isoforms of soybean seed oil body membrane protein 24 kDa oleosin are encoded by closely related cDNAs
Plant Molecular Biology
Volume 17, Issue 5 , pp 1095-1098
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- isoforms of soybean oleosin
- cDNA cloning
- DNA sequence
- amino acid repeats
- Industry Sectors