Phenotypically normal transgenic T-cyt tobacco plants as a model for the investigation of plant gene expression in response to phytohormonal stress
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The tumour-inducing T-DNA gene 4 (T-cyt gene) of the nopaline Ti plasmid pTiC58 was cloned and introduced into tobacco cells by leaf disc transformation using Agrobacterium plasmid vectors. Tobacco shoots exposed to elevated cytokinin levels were unable to develop roots and lacked apical dominance. Using exogenously applied phytohormone manipulations we were able to regenerate morphologically normal transgenic tobacco plants which differed in endogenous cytokinin levels from normal untransformed plants. Although T-cyt gene mRNA levels, as revealed by dot-blot hybridization data, in these rooting plants were only about half those in primary transformed shoots the total amount of cytokinins was much lower than in crown gall tissue or cytokinin-type transformed shoots as reported by others. Nevertheless the cytokinin content in T-cyt plants was about 3 times greater than in control tobacco plants.
Elevated cytokinin levels have been shown to change the expression of several plant genes, including some nuclear genes encoding chloroplast proteins. Our results show that the mRNA levels of chloroplast rbcL gene increase in cytokinin-type transgenic tobacco plants as compared with untransformed plants. Data obtained suggest that T-cyt transgenic plants are a good model for studying plant gene activity in different parts of the plant under endogenous cytokinin stress.
- Akiyoshi, D, Klee, H, Amasino, R, Nester, E, Gordon, M: T-DNA of Agrobacterium tumefaciens encodes an enzyme of cytokinin biosynthesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 81: 5994–5998 (1984).
- Barry, G, Rogers, S, Fraley, R, Brand, L: Identification of a cloned cytokinin biosynthetic gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 81: 4776–4780 (1984).
- Buchmann, I, Marner, F, Schroder, J, Waffenschmidt, S, Schroder, G: Tumour genes in plants: T-DNA encoded cytokinin biosynthesis. EMBO J 4: 853–859 (1985).
- Burrel, M, Twell, D, Karp, A, Ooms, G: Expression of Ti T-DNA in differentiated tissues of potato (Solanum tuberosum cv. Maris Bard). Plant Mol Biol 5: 213–223 (1985).
- Burrel, M, Tempe, S, Ooms, G: Changes in translatable poly(A) RNA from differentiated potato tissues transformed with shoot-inducing Ti TL-DNA of Agrobacterium tumefaciens. Plant Mol Biol 6: 213–220 (1986).
- Budar, F, Deboeck, F, van, Montagu, M, Hernalsteens, J-P: Introduction and expression of the octopine T-DNA oncogenes in tobacco plant and their progeny. Plant Sci 46: 195–206 (1985).
- Chen, C-N, Leisner, S: Cytokinin-modulated gene expression in excised pumpkin cotyledones. Plant Physiol 77: 95–103 (1985).
- Clemens, M: Eucaryotic messenger RNA [mRNA] extraction. In: Hames, BD, Higgins, SJ (eds) Transcription and Translation: A Practical Approach. IRL Press, Oxford/Washington DC (1984).
- Colijn, C, Sijmons, P, Mol, I, Kool, A, Nijkamp, H: Light and benzylaminopurine induced changes in ultrastructure and gene expression in plastids of Petunia hybrida cell cultures. Curr Genet 6: 129–135 (1982).
- Eichhols, R, Harper, J, Felix, G, Meins, F: Evidence for an abundant 33000 dalton polypeptide regulated by cytokinins in cultured tobacco tissues. Planta 158: 410–415 (1983).
- Ernesten, A, Jensen, E: High performance liquid chromatography of cytokinins. J Liquid Chromatog 8: 369–379 (1985).
- Figurski, D, Helinski, D: Replication of an origincontaining derivative of plasmid RK2 dependent on a plasmid function provided in trance. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 76: 1648–1652 (1979).
- Flores, S, Tobin, E: Benzyladenine modulation of the expression of two genes for nuclear-encoded chloroplast proteins in Lemna gibba: Apparent post-transcriptional regulation. Planta 168: 340–349 (1986).
- Flores, S, Tobin, E: Cytokinin modulation of LHCP mRNA levels: The involvement of post-transcriptional regulation. Plant Mol Biol 11: 409–415 (1988).
- Felix, G, Meins, F: Purification, immunoassay and characterization of an abundant, cytokinin-regulated polypeptide in cultured tobacco tissues. Planta 164: 423–426 (1985).
- Gidoni, D, Bond-Nutter, D, Brosio, P, Jones, J, Bedbrook, J, Dunsmuir, P: Coordinated expression between two photosynthetic petunia genes in transgenic plants. Mol Gen Genet 211: 507–514 (1988).
- Glover, D: DNA Cloning, vol 2, IRL Press, Oxford/Washington DC (1985).
- Gulov, MK, Ulmasov, TN, Aliev, KA, Andrianov, VM, Piruzian, ES: Nucleotide sequence of the chloroplast rbcL gene from cotton Gossypium hirsutum. Nucl Acids Res 18: 185 (1990).
- Hoekema, A, Hooykaas, P, Schilperoort, R: Transfer of the octopine T-DNA segment to plant cell mediated by different types of Agrobacterium tumour- or root-inducing plasmids: Generality of virulence systems. J Bact 158: 383–385 (1984).
- Inze, D, Follin, A, Van, Lijsebettens, M, Simoens, C: Genetic analysis of the individual T-DNA genes of Agrobacterium tumefaciens; further evidence that two genes are involved in indole-3-acetic acid synthesis. Mol Gen Genet 194: 265–274 (1984).
- Kalinin FY, Sarnatskaya VR, Polyschuk VE: Tissue Culture Methods in Physiology and Biochemistry of Plants (Russian). Kiev (1980).
- Kefeli, VI, Ranaweera, KKDS, Piruzjan, ES, Makarova, RV, Andrianov, VM, Ragubova, SJ, Jusibov, VM: Phytohormones in transformed tobacco plants. In: Kutacek, M, Elliott, MC, Machackova, I (eds) Molecular Aspects of Hormonal Regulation of Plant Development pp. 137–144. SPB Academic Publishing, The Hague, Netherlands (1990).
- Kefeli, VI, Turetskaya, RH, Kof, EM, Vlasov, NV: Methods of Phytohormones, Growth Inhibitors, Defoliants and Herbicides Determination (Russian). Nauka, Moscow (1973).
- Kim, S-G, Chatfield, J, Armstrong, D: Trace enrichment of cytokinins using neutral polystyrene resin. J Chromatog 121: 175–183 (1985).
- Lerbs, S, Lerbs, W, Klyachko, N, Romanko, E, Kulaeva, O, Wollgriehn, R, Parthier, B: Gene expression in cytokinin- and light-mediated plastogenesis of Cucurbita cotyledons: Ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase oxygenase. Planta 162: 289–298 (1984).
- Maniatis, T, Fritsch, F, Sambrook, J: Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, NY (1982).
- Memelink, J, Wullems, G, Schilperoort, R: Nopaline T-DNA is maintained during regeneration and generative propagation of transformed tobacco plants. Mol Gen Genet 190: 516–522 (1983).
- Memelink, J, Hoge, J, Schilperoort, R: Cytokinin stress changes the developmental regulation of several defencerelated genes in tobacco. EMBO J 6: 3579–3583 (1987).
- Memelink, J, de, Pater, B, Hoge, J, Schilperoort, R: T-DNA hormone biosynthetic genes: Phytohormones and gene expression in plants. Devel Genet 8: 321–327 (1987).
- Memelink, J, de, Vries, S, Schilperoort, R, Hoge, J: Changes in the tissue-specific prevalence of translatable mRNAs in transgenic tobacco shoots containing the T-DNA cytokinin gene. Plant Mol Biol 11: 625–631 (1988).
- Ooms, G, Lenton, J: T-DNA genes to study plant development: Precocious tuberisation and enhanced cytokinin in A. tumefaciens transformed tobacco. Plant Mol Biol 5: 205–213 (1985).
- Parthier, B: The role of phytohormones (cytokinins) in chloroplast development. Biochem Physiol Pflanzen 174: 173–214 (1979).
- Peerbolte, R, Floor, M, Ruigrok, P, Hoge, J, Wullems, G, Schilperoort, R: Stability and expression of transferred DNA in F1 tobacco transformants studied at various states of differentiation. Planta 172: 448–462 (1987).
- Ruffard, D, Kaminski, P-A, Stresberg, A: Lectin-gene expression in pea (Pisum sativum) roots. Planta 173: 367–372 (1988).
- Shinishi, N, Mohnen, D, Heins, F, Jr: Regulation of a plant pathogenesis related enzyme: Inhibition of chitinase and chitinase mRNA accumulation in cultured tissues by auxin and cytokinin. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 84: 89–93 (1987).
- Teyssendier de la Serve, B, Axelos, M, Pesud-Lenoel, C: Cytokinins modulate the expression of genes encoding the protein of the light harvesting chloroplast a/b complex. Plant Mol Biol 5: 1155–1163 (1985).
- Ulmasov, TN, Gulov, MK, Aliev, KA, Andrianov, VM, Piruzian, ES: Cloning of chloroplast psbA and rbcL genes from cotton Gossypium hirsutum. (Russian.) Molekularnaya Genetika, Mikrobiologia, Virusologia 8: 17–20 (1989).
- Van, Onckelen, H, Rudelsheim, R, Inze, D, Follin, A, Messens, E, Horemans, S, Schell, J, Van, Montagu, M, De, Greeve, J: Tobacco plants transformed with Agrobacterium T-DNA gene 1 contain high amounts of indole-3-acetamide. FEBS Lett 181: 373–376 (1985).
- Velten, J, Schell, J: Selection-expression plasmid vectors for use in genetic transformation of higher plants. Nucl Acids Res 13: 6981–6998 (1985).
- Wostemeyer, A, Otten, L, Schell, J: Sexual transmission of T-DNA in abnormal tobacco regenerants transformed by octopine and nopaline strains of Agrobacterium tumefaciens. Mol Gen Genet 194: 500–507 (1984).
- Yusibov, VM, Pogosyan, GP, Andrianov, VM, Piruzian, ES: Agrobacterial cytokinin biosynthesis gene transfer into tobacco plants. (Russian.) Molekularnaya Genetika, Mikrobiologia, Virusologia 7: 11–13 (1989).
- Phenotypically normal transgenic T-cyt tobacco plants as a model for the investigation of plant gene expression in response to phytohormonal stress
Plant Molecular Biology
Volume 17, Issue 4 , pp 825-836
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- T-cyt gene
- tobacco transgenic plants
- Industry Sectors