Ecology and production of Salvinia natans Hoffim; in Kashmir
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Ecological problems arising as a result of rapid growth of S. natans Hoffim in some lakes of Kashmir have been studied. High viability of spores coupled with rapid vegetative propagation seem to be responsible for the spread of the weed. Lake channels protected from wind by a canopy of trees are the most favourable situations in which Salvinia produces a thick mat. Water in these channels is rich in nutrients. Oxygen poor layers of water beneath the mat are detrimental for insect and fish life. Besides, the changing light conditions have profound influence on the submerged vegetation. The most common associates of Salvinia are Hydrocharis dubia and Ceratophyllum demersum.
Maximum plant biomass is recorded during August–September with higher efficiency at partially shaded sites. Correlation exists between caloric values and dry matter production and between caloric value and per cent organic carbon.
Under laboratory conditions, water of a pH between 4.6–6.0, sodium chloride concentrations higher than 1 % and continuous submergence under water are harmful to the growth of the weed. Partial shady situations seem to be quite beneficial for the growth. Harvesting would probably be the most economical method of control.
- A.O.A.O. - 1965 - Official and tentative methods of analysis. New York.
- A.P.H.A. - 1960 - Standard methods for the examination of water and sewage and industrial waste. New York.
- Alston, A. H. G. - 1959 - Ferns and fern alies of west tropical Africa. Suppl. to Edn-2 of Flora of west tropical Africa. London.
- Anonymous - 1961 - Fern monster. Aus. Fern. y., 51: 43–51.
- Biswas, K. & Calder, C. C. - 1956 - Handbook of common water and marsh plants of India and Burma. Government press, Delhi.
- Braun-Blanquet, J. - 1932 - Plant Sociology. Mc.Graw Hill Book Company. New York.
- DOnnelly, B. G. - 1969 - A preliminary survey of Tilapia nurseries on lake Kariba during 1967–68. Hydrobiologia, 34: 195–206.
- Harding, D. - 1961 - Limnological trends in lake Kariba. Nature, London, 191: 119–120.
- Hartog, C. den & Segal, S. - 1964 - A new classification of the water plant communities. Acta Bot. Neerl., 13: 367–393.
- Herzog, R. - 1953 - Ein Beitrag zur Systematik der Gattung Salvinia. Hedwigia, 74: 267–284.
- Herzog, R. - 1938 - Geographische Verbreitung der Gattungen Salvinia and Azolla. Bot. Arch., 39: 219–225.
- Kaul, V. & Zutshi, D. P. - 1966 - Some ecological considerations of floating islands in Srinagar lakes. Proc. Indian. Acad. Sci., India, 36: 273–280.
- Kaul, V. & Zutshi, D. P. - 1967 - A study of aquatic and marshland vegetation of Srinagar. Proc. nat. Inst., India, 33: 111–127.
- Kanwar, J. - 1959 - Phosphate extraction from soils using sodium versenate. Aust. Conf. Soil Sci., 1: 3–7.
- Mitchell, D. S. - 1969 - The ecology of vascular hydrophytes of lake Kariba. Hydrobiologia, 34: 448–464.
- Mukeerjee, S. K. - 1920 - The Dal lake (Kashmir). A study of biotic succession. Proc. Eight Indian Sci. Congr. Abstr. p. 185.
- Mukeerjee, S. K. - 1925 - The ecology of the Dal lake region, Kashmir. Proc. Eight Indian Sci. Congr. Abstr. p. 188.
- Paech, K. & Tracey, M. V. - 1956 - Modern methods of plant analysis. Vol. I, Germany.
- Piper, C. S. - 1947 - Soil and plant analysis. Adelaide.
- Schelpe, E. A. C. - 1961 - The ecology of Salvinia auriculata and associated vegetation in Kariba lake. J. S Afr Bot., 27: 181–187
- Vollenweider, R. A. - 1962 - Sull' use di metodi conduttometrici per la titolazione dell' alcalinita totale' dei cloruri e dei solfati nelle aque dolci. Mem. Ist. Ital. Idrobiol., 15: 29–42.
- Wild, H. - 1961 - Harmful aquatic plants in Africa and Madagascar, Kirkia. 2: 1–66. Repr. as: C.C.T.A./C.S.A. Pubis., 73: 68 p.
- Williams, R. H. - 1956 - Salvinia auriculata Aublet. the chemical eradication of a serious aquatic weed in Ceylon. Trop. Agric. Trin., 33: 145–157.
- YAsiu, K. - 1911 - On the life history of salvinia natans. Ann. Bot., 25: 469–483.
- Young, F. N. & Zimmerman, J. R. - 1956 - Variation in temperature in small aquatic situations. Ecology., 37: 609–664.
- Zutshi, D. P. - 1970a - Classification of Kashmir valley lakes in relation to their trophic level. (Unpublished).
- Zutshi, D. P. - 1970b - Limnology of some high altitude lakes in Kashmir. (Unpublished).
- Ecology and production of Salvinia natans Hoffim; in Kashmir
Volume 38, Issue 2 , pp 303-320
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors