The relative contributions of yield components to lint yield of upland cotton, Gossypium hirsutum L.
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Stepwise regression analyses provided an estimate of the net effect of yield components on lint yield of Upland cotton. Data from strain tests in the Pee Dee, South Carolina, cotton breeding program for crop years 1968 and 1969 were used in these analyses. Lint yield/m2 was the dependent variable. Independent variables were: bolls/m2, lint/seed, and seeds/boll.
Correlation analyses indicated the relationships among yield components. Partial correlation coefficients were utilized to show the order of variable addition in the regression equations. We found that bolls/m2 assumes the major role in determining yield. The lint/seed component assmes the secondary role in the development of lint yield. Seeds/boll made a relatively larger total contribution only after lint/seed had made its contribution.
These data indicate that selection pressure should be placed on prolificacy (bolls/m2) and seeds/boll, concommitantly with selection to maintain or increase lint/seed. Although the lint/seed component makes a relatively smaller total contribution to lint yield, it is necessary to maintain or increase this component to secure the increased contributions of seeds/boll.
- Al-Rawi, K. M. & R. J. Kohel, 1969. Diallel analyses of yield and other agronomic characters in Gossypium hirsutum L. Crop Sci. 9: 779–783.
- Draper, N. R. & H. Smith, 1966. Applied regression analysis. John Wiley, New York, p. 407.
- Maner, B. A., S. Worley, D. C. Harrell & T. W. Culp, 1971. A geometrical approach to yield models in Upland cotton Gossypium hirsutum L. Crop Sci. 11: 904–906.
- Manning, H. G., 1956. Yield improvement from a selection index technique with cotton. Heredity 10: 303–322.
- Murray, J. D. & L. M. Verhalen, 1969. Genetic studies of earliness, yield, and fiber properties in cotton Gossypium hirsutum L. Crop Sci. 9: 752–755.
- Riggs, T. J., 1967. Response to modal selections in Upland cotton in Northern and Eastern Uganda. Cotton Growing Review 44: 176–181.
- Verhalen, L. M., W. C. Morrison, B. A. Al-Rawi, Kwee-Chong, Fun & J. C. Murray, 1971. A diallel analysis of several agronomic traits in Upland cotton, Gossypium hirsutum L. Crop Sci. 11: 92–96.
- The relative contributions of yield components to lint yield of upland cotton, Gossypium hirsutum L.
Volume 23, Issue 2 , pp 399-403
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors