Ecological studies on sporobolus virginicus (L.) kunth with particular reference to salinity and inundation
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Sporobolus virginicus is shown to occupy low-lying areas on the shores of Lake St. Lucia, where it is subjected to periodic inundation and widely varying salinities. Whilst seeds are not permanently affected by storage under waterlogged saline conditions, young plants are markedly influenced by both inundation and salinity. Older plants are more tolerant of these conditions.
- Adams, D. A. 1963. Factors affecting vascular plant zonation in North Carolina salt marshes. Ecol. 44: 445–456. CrossRef
- Atkinson, M. R., Findlay, G. P., Hope, A. B., Pitman, M. G., Saddler, H. D. & West, K. R. 1967. Salt regulation in the mangroves Rhizophora mucronata Lom. and Aegialitis annulata R. Br. Austral. J. Biol. Sci. 20: 589–599.
- Clarke, L. D. & Hannon, N. J. 1970. The Mangrove swamp and salt marsh communities of the Sydney district. III. Plant growth in relation to salinity and waterlogging. J. Ecol. 58: 351–369. CrossRef
- Clayton, W. D., Phillips, S. M. & Renvoize, S. A. 1974. In: Flora of Tropical and East Africa, Graminae, Pt. 2 p. 370, Edit. R. M. Polhill.
- Duncan, W. H. 1974. In: Ecology of Halophytes, Edit. R. J. Reinold and W. H. Queen, Academic Press.
- Gallagher, J. L. 1974. The Influence of Salinity on Growth, Morphology and Mineral Composition of Sporobolus virginicus. Abstract in Amer. J. Bot. 61, Supplement p. 28.
- Hutchison, I. P. G. 1974. St. Lucia Lake Research Report. Vol. 2; St. Lucia Lake and Estuary Hydrographic Data. Hydrological Research Unit, University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa.
- MacDonald, K. B. & Barbour, M. G. 1974. Beach and salt marsh vegetation of the North American Pacific Coast. In: Ecology of Halophytes Edit. R. J. Remold and W. H. Queen, Academic Press.
- Meredith, D. 1955. The Grasses and Pastures of South Africa. C.N.A., South Africa.
- Paech, K. & Tracey, M. V. (ed.). 1956. Modern Methods of Plant Analysis. Vol. 1. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- Rains, D. W. 1972. Salt transport by plants in relation to salinity. Ann. Rev. Plant Physiol. 23: 367–388. CrossRef
- Seneca, E. D. 1969. Germination response to temperature and salinity of four dune grasses from the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Ecol. 50: 45–53. CrossRef
- Uhvits, R. 1946. Effect of osmotic pressure on water absorption and germination of alfalfa seeds. Amer. J. Bot. 33: 278–285. CrossRef
- Ungar, I. A. 1962. Influence of salinity on seed germination in succulent halophytes. Ecol. 43: 763–764. CrossRef
- Waisel, Y. 1972. Biology of Halophytes. Academic Press, New York.
- Ward, C. J. 1971. The plant ecology of the Isipingo Beach area, Natal, South Africa. M.Sc. thesis, University of Natal, Pietermaritzburg.
- Ecological studies on sporobolus virginicus (L.) kunth with particular reference to salinity and inundation
Volume 54, Issue 2 , pp 135-140
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Sporobolus virginicus
- Industry Sectors