The theoretical proportion of the donor genome in near-isogenic lines of self-fertilizers bred by backcrossing
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The length was estimated of the chromosome segment with the desired marker gene introgressed from a donor by backcrossing into a recurrent parent. It was found that, for instance, for a chromosome with a length of 100 cM the length of the segment is 32 cM in BC6.
These estimates were compared with those made by Hanson (1959). Two corrections proved to be necessary.
The implications for breeders and researchers are discussed. Differences between two near-isogenic lines often ascribed to the difference in genotype at the marker locus, may also be caused by genes linked to the marker gene and ‘dragged’ into the backcross product.
- Bartlett, M. S. & J. B. S. Haldane, 1935. The theory of inbreeding with forced heterozygosity. J. Genetics 31: 327–340.
- Brinkman, M. A. & K. J. Frey, 1977. Yield component analysis of oat isolines that produce different grain yields. Crop Sci. 17: 165–168.
- Donchev, N., 1979. The leaf rust problem of wheat in Bulgaria in 1977–1978. Cereal Rust Bull. 7 (1): 16–20.
- Franklin, I. R., 1977. The distribution of the proportion of the genome which is homozygous by descent in inbred individuals. Theor. Pop. Biol. 11: 60–80.
- Hanson, W. D., 1959. Early generation analysis of lengths of heterozygous chromosome segments around a locus held heterozygous with backcrossing or selfing. Genetics 44: 833–837.
- Jain, K. B. L., S. K. Jain & C. W. Schaller, 1979. Analysis of selection at two awn length loci in populations of barley isogenic lines. Genetica 51: 115–124.
- Johnson, J. W., P. S. Baenziger, W. T. Yamasaki & R. T. Smith, 1979. Effects of powdery mildew on yield and quality of isogenic lines of ‘Chancellor’ wheat. Crop Science 19: 350–353.
- Stam, P., 1979. Interference in genetic crossing over and chromosome mapping. Genetics 92: 573–594.
- Stam, P., 1980. The distribution of the fraction of the genome identical by descent in finite random mating populations. Genet. Res. 35: 131–155.
- The theoretical proportion of the donor genome in near-isogenic lines of self-fertilizers bred by backcrossing
Volume 30, Issue 2 , pp 227-238
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- near-isogenic line
- length of donor chromosome segment
- Industry Sectors