Synthetic seeds as an application of mass production of somatic embryos
- Noboru OnishiAffiliated withPlant Laboratory, Kirin Brewery Co., Ltd.
- , Yuji SakamotoAffiliated withApplied Research Center, Kirin Brewery Co., Ltd.
- , Takayasu HirosawaAffiliated withPlant Laboratory, Kirin Brewery Co., Ltd.
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Production of encapsulatable unit, scale-up of the production system, and encapsulation technologies were developed as an integrated technology for transplant production using somatic embryos of celery and carrot. Encapsulatable units, somatic embryos improved in their quality for encapsulation, showed 80% conversion without encapsulation and any nutrient supply on a nursery medium in a greenhouse. The high conversion ability was also shown by carrot encapsulatable unit produced with a newly developed 8-liter culture jar, where 5.09×105 torpedo stage embryos were produced and 4.10×104 encapsulatable units were obtained from them.
A novel self-breaking gel beads and sustained release microcapsule as an artificial endosperm were developed for the encapsulation of carrot embryos. Also a whole production system for synthetic seed was developed with which 80 thousand beads could be produced per day. The encapsulated carrot embryos showed 52% conversion frequency after sowing on a humid soil in greenhouse.
Key wordsalginate conversion encapsulation encapsulatable unit microcapsule scale-up self-breaking gel bead somatic embryo sorter
- Synthetic seeds as an application of mass production of somatic embryos
Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture
Volume 39, Issue 2 , pp 137-145
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- encapsulatable unit
- self-breaking gel bead
- somatic embryo
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Plant Laboratory, Kirin Brewery Co., Ltd., 3377 Kitsuregawa-machi, Shioya-gun, 329-14, Tochigi-ken, Japan
- 2. Applied Research Center, Kirin Brewery Co., Ltd., 3377 Kitsuregawa-machi, Shioya-gun, 329-14, Tochigi-ken, Japan