Compatibility and incompatibility in witloof-chicory (Cichorium intybus L.). 1. The influence of temperature and plant age on pollen germination and seed production
- A. H. Eenink
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
For the production of inbred lines and F1 hybrids in witloof-chicory information is wanted on characteristics such as the incompatibility system. These characteristics can only be studied properly if the influence of temperature and physiological status of the plant on pollen germination and seed production is known. Investigations were carried out with 9 self-incompatible (SI) and 6 self-compatible (SC) clones in glasshouses of the IVT phytotron at constant temperatures of 10, 14, 17, 20, 23 and 26°C. In general, in vivo pollen germination percentages were rather low after self pollination with an optimum for germination around 17–20°C. No seeds were formed at the lowest temperature (10°C) while seed production for SC clones was usually (rather) good at higher temperatures. At 26°C seed production in some clones decreased. Both pollen germination and seed production decreased at the end of the flowering period. There was a rather positive relationship at e.g. 17 and 20°C between pollen germination after selfing and seed production. When no pollen germination was observed, no seed formation occurred. When pollen grains did germinate, seed development would not necessarily occur in all cases. So this relationship only enables negative mass selection for SC.
- Bannerot, H. & B. De Coninck, 1970. L'utilisation des hybrides F1: Nouvelle methode d'amélioration de la chicorée de Bruxelles. In: Section horticole d'Eucarpia. La Chicorée de Bruxelles, Gembloux: 99–118. 072
- Bannerot, H. & B. De Coninck, 1976. In: Heterosis in witloof-chicory at the forcing stage. Proc. Eucarpia Meeting on Leafy Vegetables, Wageningen: 4–7.
- Eenink, A. H., 1979. Onderzoek aan witlof (Cichorium intybus) voor de produktie van inteeltlijnen en F1-hybriden. Zaadbelangen 33: 260–266.
- Hogenboom, N. G., 1972. Breaking breeding barriers in Lycopersicon. 2. Breakdown of self-incompatibility in L. peruvianum (L.) Mill. Euphytica 21: 228–243. CrossRef
- Gibson, P. B. & C. C. Chen, 1973. Success in hybridizing and selfing Trifolium repens at different temperatures. Crop Science 13: 728–730.
- Lawson, J. & W. Williams, 1976. Environmental and genetic effects on pseudo-compatibility in Brassica oleracea in relation to the production of hybrid seed. J. Hort. Sci. 51: 359–365.
- Ronald, W. G. & P. D. Ascher, 1975. Effects of high temperature treatments on seed yield and self-incompatibility in Chrysanthemum. Euphytica 24: 317–322.
- Compatibility and incompatibility in witloof-chicory (Cichorium intybus L.). 1. The influence of temperature and plant age on pollen germination and seed production
Volume 30, Issue 1 , pp 71-76
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- pollen germination
- seed formation
- Industry Sectors
- A. H. Eenink (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute for Horticultural Plant Breeding (IVT), Wageningen, the Netherlands