The population dynamics of some freshwater carideans (Crustacea: Decapoda) in Hong Kong, with special reference to Neocaridina serrata (Atyidae)
- David Dudgeon
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
During a 15-month investigation of the population dynamics of three caridean shrimp species in the Lam Tsuen River, New Territories, Hong Kong, the numbers of the commonest species, Neocaridina serrata (Stimpson)(Atyidae), were reduced as water temperatures fell. By contrast, Caridina lanceifrons Yu became more numerous during the winter. The relatively scarce Macrobrachium hainanense (Parisi)(Palaemonidae) tended to be more abundant during the summer, and the abundance of this species was directly correlated with that of N. serrata. The population size of these two species was positively correlated with water temperatures prevailing one and two months prior to the collection of samples, but there was no significant relationship between C. lanceifrons abundance and water temperature.
All species exhibited similar growth patterns with an inflection at the attainment of sexual maturity, occurring after the (presumed) 14th moult for N. serrata and in the (presumed) 13th and 18th stadium for C. lanceifrons and M. hainanensis respectively. Ovigerous shrimps of all species were only recorded when water temperatures exceeded 20 °C and the % incidence of ovigerous N. serrata was positively correlated with prevailing temperatures. It is suggested that restriction of freshwater caridean breeding periods by low temperatures may be common in the subtropics while perennial breeding is more likely to be typical of tropical regions.
The mean carapace length of N. serrata populations was negatively correlated with prevailing temperatures, but more strongly correlated with temperatures recorded one and two months prior to sampling when gametogenesis may have taken place. Smallest mean sizes were recorded in late summer upon the cessation of juvenile recruitment. N. serrata has a maximum longevity of approximately 12 months and reproduction occurs in the 7th month of life or later. The hatchlings are well developed and clutch size is not related to the size of the brooding female. An annual life cycle, as seen in N. serrata, may be typical of many small freshwater carideans.
- Abele, L. G. & N. Blum, 1977. Ecological aspects of the freshwater decapod crustaceans of the Perlas Archipelago, Pamama. Biotropica 9: 239- 252.
- Babu, N., 1963. Observations on the biology of Caridina propinqua De Man. Indian J. Fish. 10: 107–117.
- Beck, T. J. & B. C. Cowell, 1976. Life history and ecology of the freshwater caridean shrimp, Palaemonetes paludosus (Gibbes). Am. Midl. Nat. 96: 52–65.
- Benzie, J. A. H. & P. K. de Silva, 1983. The abbreviated larval development of Caridina singhalensis Ortmann, 1894 (Decapoda, Atyidae). J. Crustacean Biol. 3: 117–126.
- Calow, P., 1978. The evolution of life-cycle strategies in freshwater gastropods. Malacologia 17: 351–364.
- de Silva, K. H. G. M., 1982. Aspects of the ecology and conservation of Sri Lanka's endemic freshwater shrimp Caridina singhalensis. Biol. Conserv. 24: 219–231. CrossRef
- Dudgeon, D., 1982a. Aspects of the hydrology of Tai Po Kau Forest Stream, New Territories, Hong Kong. Arch. Hydrobiol. Suppl. 64: 1–35.
- Dudgeon, D., 1982b. Spatial and seasonal variations in the standing crop of periphyton and allochthonous detritus in a forest stream in Hong Kong, with notes on the magnitude and fate of riparian leaf fail. Arch. Hydrobiol., Suppl. 64: 189–220.
- Dudgeon, D., 1983. Seasonal and long-term changes in the hydrobiology of the Lam Tsuen River, New Territories, Hong Kong, with special reference to benthic macroinvertebrate distribution and abundance. Arch. Hydrobiol., Suppl. 69: 55–129.
- Hart, R. C., 1980. Embryonic duration and post-embryonic growth rates of the tropical freshwater shrimp Caridina nilotica (Decapoda: Atyidae) under laboratory and experimental field conditions. Freshwat. Biol. 10: 297–315.
- Hart, R. C., 1981. Population dynamics and production of the tropical freshwater shrimp Caridina nilotica (Decapoda: Atyidae) in the littoral of Lake Sibaya. Freshwat. Biol. 11: 531–547.
- Jalihal, D. R. & K. N. Sankolli, 1975. On the abbreviated metamorphosis of the fresh water prawn Macrobrachium hendersodayanum (Tiwari) in the laboratory. Karnatak Univ. J. Sci. 20: 283–291.
- Kamita, T., 1956. Ecological notes on the freshwater shrimps and prawns of Japan. I. On the shrimp Caridina japonica De Man. Zool. Mag., Zool. Soc. Japan 65: 440–444. (In Japanese).
- Kamita, T., 1957. Ecological notes on the freshwater shrimps and prawns of Japan. III. On the shrimps Caridina leucosticta Stimpson and C. serratirostris celebensis De Man. Zool. Mag., Zool. Soc. Japan 66: 327–731. (In Japanese).
- Kamita, T., 1959. Ecological notes on the freshwater shrimps and prawns of Japan. On the shrimp Caridina typus H. Milne-Edwards. Zool. Mag., Zool. Soc. Japan 68: 21–24. (In Japanese).
- Lobao, V. L., P. Sawaya & L. E. Santos, 1978. Influencia da temperetura, precipitacao pluviometrica e insolacao na reproducao de Macrobrachium holthuisi Genofre & Lobao, 1976 (Crustacea, Decapoda). Bol. Inst. Pesca, San Paulo 5: 109–118.
- Mauchline, J., 1977. Growth of shrimps, crabs and lobsters assessment. J. Cons. int. Explor. Mer 37: 162–169.
- Pandian, T. J. & C. Balasundaram, 1982. Moulting and spawning cycles in Macrobrachium nobilii (Henderson and Mathai). Int. J. Invert. Reproduction 5: 21–30.
- Pianka, E. R., 1978. Evolutionary Ecology. 2nd edn. Harper & Row, N. Y., 397 pp.
- Powell, C. B., 1977. A revision of the African freshwater shrimp genus Desmocaris Sollaud, with ecological notes and a description of a new species (Crustacea, Decapoda, Palaemonidae). Revue zool. afr. 91: 649–674.
- Rajyalakshmi, T., 1980. Comparative study of the biology of the freshwater prawn, Macrobrachium malcolmanii, of Godavari and Hooghly River Systems. Proc. indian nat. Sci. Acad. B46: 72–89.
- Raman, K., 1967. Observations on the fishery and biology of the giant freshwater prawn Macrobrachium rosenbergii De Man. Proc. Symp. Crustacea, Ernakulam, 1965. Mar. Biol. Assoc. India, Symp. 2: 649–669.
- Shen, C. J., 1939. The larval development of some Peking Caridina. Nat. Univ. Peking Ann. Pap. 40: 169–201.
- Shotika, S., 1979. The distribution and speciation of the inland water shrimps and prawns from Ryukyu Islands — II. Bull. Coll. Sci., Univ. Ryukyus 28: 193–278. (In Japanese).
- Stearns, S. C., 1976. Life history tactics: a review of the ideas. Q. Rev. Biol. 51: 3–47.
- Tallamy, D. W. & R. F. Denno, 1982. Life history trade-offs in Garaphia solani (Hemiptera: Tingidae): the cost of reproduction. Ecology 63: 616–620.
- Truesdale, F. M. & W. J. Mermilliod, 1979. The river shrimp Macrobrachium ohione (Smith) (Decapoda, Palaemonidae): its abundance, reproduction, and growth in the Atchafalaya River Basin of Louisiana, U.S.A. Crustaceana 36: 61–73.
- Zhang, J. and X. Sun, 1979. Studies on the larval development of six freshwater prawn species in the middle and lower Chang Jiang (Yangtze) River. Acta zool. Sinica 25: 143–153. (In Chinese).
- The population dynamics of some freshwater carideans (Crustacea: Decapoda) in Hong Kong, with special reference to Neocaridina serrata (Atyidae)
Volume 120, Issue 2 , pp 141-149
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Neocaridina serrata
- Hong Kong
- population dynamics
- Industry Sectors