Genetic variation in South Korean natural populations of wild soybean (Glycine soja)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Wild relatives are valuable genetic resources for crop improvement. Evaluating genetic variation in these species is not only important for their use in breeding programs, but will also provide information about evolution of crops. Seeds representing six natural populations were used to study the level of variation in the South Korean wild soybean. Electrophoretic assays of the seeds on horizontal slab gels were conducted to determine the genotypes of each natural plant at 35 loci in 17 isozymes and one protein. The results indicated a surprisingly high variation. The number of alleles at each locus was as high as four. Seventy two of the 94 reported alleles for the 35 loci were present in these populations. The average number of alleles per locus, 99% polymorphism and the expected heterozygosity in the total population were 2.1, 77.1% and 0.215, respectively. This amount of variation was not only higher than that reported for 857 soybean cultivars and wild soybean populations from other geographic regions, but also higher than the average for 123 self-fertilized plant species and 473 plant species of all mating systems. The high variation in the South Korean wild soybean as well as cultivated soybean indicated in this and other population genetic studies prompts us to propose that South Korea is one of the major soybean gene centers.
- Apuya, N.R., Frazier, B.L., Keim, P., Roth, E.J., Lark, K.G. (1988) Restriction fragment length polymorphisms as genetic markers in soybean, Glycine max (L.) Merrill. Theor. Appl. Genet. 75: pp. 889-901
- Broich, S.L., Palmer, R.G. (1981) Evolutionary studies of the soybean: the frequency and distribution of alleles among collections of Glycine max and G. soja of various origin. Euphytica 30: pp. 55-64
- Bult, C.J., 1989. Isozyme and Quantitative Trait Variation within and among Natural Populations of the Wild Soybean, Glycine soja (Sieb. & Zucc.). Ph.D. Dissertation, University of New Hampshire, Durham.
- Bult, C.J., Kiang, Y.T., Chiang, Y.C., Doong, J.Y.H., Gorman, M.B. (1989) Electrophoretic methods for soybean genetics studies. Soybean Genet. Newsl. 16: pp. 175-187
- Chiang, Y.C., 1985. Genetic and Quantitative Variation in Wild Soybean (Glycine soja) Populations. Ph.D. Dissertation, University of New Hampshire, Durham.
- Close, P.S., Shoemaker, R.C., Keim, P. (1989) Distribution of restriction site polymorphism within the chloroplast genome of the genus Glycine, subgenus Soja. Theor. Appl. Genet. 77: pp. 768-776
- Doyle, J.J. (1988) 5S ribosomal gene variation in the soybean and its progenitor. Theor. Appl. Genet. 75: pp. 621-624
- Doyle, J.J., Beachy, R.N. (1985) Ribosomal gene variation in soybean (Glycine) and its relatives. Theor. Appl. Genet. 70: pp. 369-376
- Fukuda, Y. (1933) Cytogenetical studies on the wild and cultivated Manchurian soybeans (Glycine L.). Jap. J. Bot. 6: pp. 489-506
- Grabau, E.A., Davis, W.H., Phelps, N.D., Gengenbach, B.G. (1992) Classification of soybean cultivars based on mitochondrial DNA restriction fragment length polymorphism. Crop Sci. 32: pp. 271-274
- Hamrick, J.L., Godt, M.J.W. Allozyme diversity in plant species. In: Brown, A.H.D., Clegg, M.T., Kahler, A.L., Weir, B.S. eds. (1990) Plant Population Genetics, Breeding, and Genetic Resources. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, M.A., pp. 43-63
- Harlan, J.R. (1971) Agricultural origins: centers and noncenters. Science 174: pp. 468-474
- Hartl, D.L. (1988) A Primer of Population Genetics. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, M.A.
- Hu, Z.A., Wang, H.X. (1985) Genetic structure of natural populations of wild soybean (Glycine soja) in Beijing region. Acta Bot. Sin. 27: pp. 599-604
- Hymowitz, T. (1970) On the domestication of the soybean. Econ. Bot. 24: pp. 408-421
- Hymowitz, T., Kaizuma, N. (1979) Dissemination of soybeans (Glycine max): seed protein electrophoresis profiles among Japanese cultivars. Econ. Bot. 33: pp. 311-319
- Hymowitz, T., Kaizuma, N. (1981) Soybean seed protein electrophoresis profiles from 15 Asian countries or regions: hypotheses on paths of dissemination of soybean from China. Econ. Bot. 35: pp. 10-23
- Hymowitz, T., Newell, C.A. (1981) Taxonomy of the genus Glycine, domestication and uses of soybeans. Econ. Bot. 35: pp. 272-288
- Hymowitz, T., Singh, R.J. Taxonomy and speciation. In: Wilcox, J.R. eds. (1987) Soybeans: Improvement, Production and Uses. American Society of Agronomy, Madison, W.I., pp. 23-48
- Keim, P., Shoemaker, R.C., Palmer, R.G. (1989) Restriction fragment length polymorphism diversity in soybean. Theor. Appl. Genet. 77: pp. 786-792
- Kiang, Y.T., Gorman, M.B. Soybean. In: Tanksley, S.D., Orton, T.J. eds. (1983) Isozymes in Plant Genetics and Breeding, Part B. Elsevier Science Publishing, Amsterdam, pp. 295-328
- Kiang, Y.T., Y.C. Chiang, J.Y.H. Doong & M.B. Gorman, 1987. Genetic variation of soybean germplasm. In: Crop Exploration and Utilization of Genetic Resources-Proceedings of an international symposium held at Changhua, Taiwan in 1986. Published by Taichung District Agriculture Improvement Station.
- Kloth, R.H., Polacco, J.C., Hymowitz, T. (1987) The inheritance of a urease-null trait in soybean. Theor. Appl. Genet. 73: pp. 410-418
- Nei, M. (1972) Genetic distance between populations. Am. Nat. 106: pp. 283-292
- Nei, M. (1973) Analysis of gene diversity in subdivided populations. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA 70: pp. 3321-3323
- Nei, M. (1978) Estimation of average heterozygosity and genetic distance from a small number of individuals. Genetics 89: pp. 583-590
- Oka, H.I. (1983) Life-history characteristics and colonizing success in plants. Am. Zool. 23: pp. 99-109
- Shoemaker, R.C., Hatfield, P.M., Palmer, R.G., Atherly, A.G. (1986) Chloroplast DNA variation in the genus Glycine subgenus Soja. J. Hered. 77: pp. 26-30
- Sisson, V.A., Brim, C.A., Levings, C.S. (1978) Characterization of cytoplasmic diversity in soybeans by restriction endonuclease analysis. Crop Sci. 18: pp. 991-996
- Swofford, D.L., Selander, R.B. (1981) BIOSYS-1: a Fortran program for the comprehensive analysis of electrophoretic data in population genetics and systematics. J. Hered. 72: pp. 281-283
- Yu, H. & Y.T. Kiang, 1993a. Inheritance and genetic linkage studies of isozymes in soybean. J. Hered. (in press).
- Yu, H. & Y.T. Kiang, 1993b. Genetic characterization of a leaf margin necrosis mutant in wild annual soybean (Glycine soja). Genetica (in press).
- Genetic variation in South Korean natural populations of wild soybean (Glycine soja)
Volume 68, Issue 3 , pp 213-221
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- genetic resources
- genetic variation
- Glycine soja
- wild soybean
- Industry Sectors