Isolation of a mRNA encoding a nucleoside diphosphate kinase from tomato that is up-regulated by wounding
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A cDNA clone (TAB2) encoding a nucleoside diphosphate (NDP) kinase has been isolated from a tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill. cv. Ailsa Craig) cDNA library. The clone is 590 bp long and exhibits a high degree of sequence identity with spinach NDP kinases I and II, Pisum sativum NDP kinase I, Arabidopsis thaliana NDP kinase, Drosophila melanogaster NDP kinase, Dictyostelium discoideum NDP kinase and human Nm 23-H1 and Nm23-H2. Northern analysis has revealed that the mRNA encoded by TAB2 is up-regulated in both leaf and stem tissue in response to wounding. The increase is apparent within 1 h of wounding and is not further elevated by application of ethylene. Southern blot analysis indicates that TAB2 is a member of a small gene family.
- Bominaar AA, Molijn AC, Pestel M, Veron M, van Haastert PJM: Activation of G proteins by receptor stimulated nucleoside diphosphate kinase in Dictyostelium. EMBO J 12: 2275–2279 (1993).
- Buechlar JA, Taylor SS. Identification of aspartate-184 as an essential residue in the catalytic subunit of cAMP dependent kinase. Biochemistry 27: 7356–7361 (1988).
- Coupe SA, Taylor JE, Issac PG, Roberts JA: Identification and characterisation of a proline-rich mRNA that accumulates during pod development in oilseed rape (Brassica napus L.). Plant Mol Biol 23: 1223–1232 (1983).
- Gilles AM, Presecan E, Vonican A, Lascu I. Nucleoside diphosphate kinase from human erythrocytes. J Biol Chem 266: 8784–8789 (1991).
- Hanks SK, Quinn AM, Hunter T: The protein kinase family: conserved features and deduced phylogeny of the catalytic domains. Science 241: 42–52 (1988).
- Kamps MP, Sefton BM. Neither arginine nor histidine can carry out the function of Lysine-295 in the ATP binding site of p60SRC. Mol Cell Biol 6: 751–757 (1986).
- Kyte J, Doolittle RF. A simple method for displaying the hydropathic character of a protein. J Mol Biol 157: 105–132 (1982).
- Morre DJ, Brightman AO, Barr R, Davidson M, Crane FL. NADH oxidase activity of soybean hypocotyls is activated by guanine nucleotides. Plant Physiol 102: 595–602 (1993).
- Nomura T, Kimio Y, Honda A, Sugimoto Y, Tetsuya F, Zhang J, Yamamoto J, Ichikawa A: The amino acid sequence of nucleoside diphosphate kinase I from spinach leaves as deduced from the cDNA sequence. Arch Biochem Biophys 297: 42–45 (1992).
- Parks REJr, Agarwal RP: In: Boyer PD (ed) The Enzymes, vol 8, pp. 307–331. Academic Press, New York (1973).
- Picton S, Gray J, Barton S, Abu Baker U, Lowe A, Grierson D. cDNA cloning and characterisation of novel ripening related mRNAs with altered patterns of accumulation in the ripening inhibitor (rin) tomato ripening mutant. Plant Mol Biol 23: 193–207 (1993).
- Randazzo PA, Northup JK, Kahn RA: Activation of a small GTP binding protein by nucleoside diphosphate kinase. Science 254: 850–853 (1991).
- Roberts JA, Schindler CB, Tucker GA: Ethylene-promoted flower absission and the possible involvement of an inhibitor. Planta 164: 1–11 (1984).
- Sambrook J, Fritsch EF, Maniatis T: Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, NY (1989).
- Smith CJS, Slater A, Grierson D. Rapid appearance of an mRNA correlated with ethylene synthesis encoding protein of molecular weight 35 000. Planta 164: 94–100 (1986).
- Taylor JE, Tucker GA, Laslett Y, Smith CJS, Arnold CM, Watson CF, Schuch W, Grierson D, Roberts JA Polygalacturonase expression during leaf abscission of normal and transgenic tomato plants. Planta 183: 133–138 (1990).
- Wallet V, Mutzel R, Troll H, Barzu O, Wurster B, Veron M, Lacombe ML. Dictyostelium nucleoside diphosphate kinase highly homologous to nM 23 and awd proteins involved in mammalian tumour metastasis and Drosophila development. J Natl Cancer Inst 82: 1199–1202 (1990).
- Yano A, Shimazaki T, Kato A, Umeda M, Uchimiya H Molecular cloning and nucleotide sequence cDNA encoding nucleoside diphosphate kinase of rice (Oryza sativa L.). Plant Mol Biol 23: 1087–1090 (1993).
- Zhang J, Nomura T, Yatsunami K, Honda A, Sugimoto Y, Mariwaki T, Yamamoto J, Mitsuhiko O, Fukui T, Ichikawa A: Nucleotide sequence of the cDNA encoding nucleoside diphosphate kinase II from spinach leaves Biochim Biophys Acta 1171: 304–306 (1993).
- Isolation of a mRNA encoding a nucleoside diphosphate kinase from tomato that is up-regulated by wounding
Plant Molecular Biology
Volume 25, Issue 4 , pp 739-742
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Lycopersicon esculentum
- nucleoside diphosphate kinase
- Industry Sectors