Breaking the crossability barriers between disomic tetraploid Solanum acaule and tetrasomic tetraploid S. tuberosum
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A combination of compatible second pollinations and embryo rescue was applied for systematic production of true tetraploid hybrids from crosses between disomic tetraploid Solanum acaule and tetrasomic tetraploid potato, S. tuberosum. Several genotypes of tetraploid potatoes were pollinated with S. acaule, and the compatible second pollinations were made on the following day, with a genotype of S. phureja, IvP 35 to promote fruit development. Embryo rescue was carried out in 21 families, 14 to 27 days after the first pollination. A total of eight plants were obtained from the embryo rescue and their chromosome numbers were counted in the root tips. Three of the eight plants were identified as tetraploid, and five others as diploid. Morphology, isozyme banding patterns, and pollen stainability, as well as potato spindle tuber viroid (PSTVd) resistance, indicated the hybrid nature of the three plants. This is the first report of successful tetraploid hybrid production between disomic tetraploid S. acaule (4x) and tetrasomic tetraploid potatoes. Seed set from the crosses between one of hybrids and diploid potatoes indicated workable levels of both male and female fertility for introgression of valuable genes from S. acaule into the cultivated potato gene pool. The methodology used may be applied to other disomic tetraploid tuber-bearing Solanum species and with some modifications also to distantly related solanaceous species and genera.
- Brown, C.R., 1988. Characterization of 2n pollen producing triploid hybrids between Solanum stoloniferum and cultivated diploid potatoes. Am. Potato J. 65: 75–84.
- Chase, S.S., 1963. Analytic breeding in Solanum tuberosum L.- A scheme utilizing parthenotes and other diploid stocks. Can. J. Genet. Cytol. 5: 359–363.
- Chavez, R., C.R. Brown & M. Iwanaga, 1988. Application of interspecific sesquiploidy to introgression of PLRV resistance from non-tuber-bearing Solanum etuberosum to cultivated potato germplasm. Theor. Appl. Genet. 76: 497–500.
- Chen, H.K., M.C. Mok, S. Shanmugasundaram & D.W.S. Mok, 1989. Interspecific hybridization between Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek and V. glabrescens. Theor. Appl. Genet. 78: 641–647.
- Douches, D.S. & C.F. Quiros, 1988. Additional isozyme loci in tuber-bearing Solanums: inheritance and linkage relationships. J. Hered. 79: 377–384.
- Dvořák, J., 1983. Evidence for genetic suppression of heterogenetic chromosome pairing in polyploid species of Solanum, sect. Petota. Can. J. Genet. Cytol. 25: 530–539.
- Ehlenfeldt, M.K. & R.E. Hanneman Jr., 1988. Genetic control of Endosperm Balanced Number (EBN): three additive loci in a threshold-like system. Theor. Appl. Genet. 75: 825–832.
- Fish, N., A. Karp & M.G.K. Jones, 1988. Production of somatic hybrids by electrofusion in Solanum. Theor. Appl. Genet. 76: 260–266.
- Hadley, H.H. & S.J. Openshaw, 1980. Interspecific and intergeneric hybridization. In: W.R.Fehr & H.H.Hadley (Eds), Hybridization of Crop Plants. Amer. Soc. Agron., Madison, WI, USA, pp. 133–159.
- Hanneman, R.E. Jr. & J.B. Bamberg, 1986. Inventory of tuber-bearing Solanum species. Bulletin 533, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, USA.
- Helgeson, J.P., G.T. Harberlach, J. Pohlman & S. Austin, 1988. Somatic fusions of Solanum species. Plant Cell Tissue Organ Culture 12: 185–187.
- Hermsen, J.G., Th. Ramanna & M.S. Ramanna, 1973. Double-bridging hybrids of Solanum bulbocastanum and cultivars of Solanum tuberosum. Euphytica 22: 557–566.
- Hermsen, J.G., Th. Verdenius & J. Verdenius, 1973. Selection from Solanum tuberosum group Phureja of genotypes combining high frequency haploid induction with homozygosity for embryospot. Euphytica 22: 244–259.
- Hermsen J.G., Th., 1984. Utilization of wide crosses in potato breeding. In: Present and Future Strategies for Potato Breeding and Improvement. Rept. XXVI Plan. Conf., CIP, Lima, Peru, pp. 115–132.
- International Potato Center, 1990. Annual Report. International Potato Center, Apartado 5969, Lima, Peru.
- Iwanaga, M., 1984. Discovery of a synaptic mutant in potato haploids and its usefulness for potato breeding. Theor. Appl. Genet. 68: 87–93.
- Iwanaga, M., & S.J. Peloquin, 1982. Origin and evolution of cultivated tetraploid potatoes via 2n gametes. Theor. Appl. Genet. 61: 161–169.
- Iwanaga, M., P. Jatala, R. Ortiz & E. Guevara, 1989. Use of FDR 2n pollen to transfer resistance to root-knot nematodes into cultivated 4x potatoes. J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. 114: 1008–1013.
- Johnston, S.A., T.P.M. den Nijs, S.J. Peloquin, R.E. Hanneman Jr., 1980. The significance of genic balance to endosperm development in interspecific crosses. Theor. Appl. Genet. 57: 5–9.
- Lamm, R., 1953. Investigations of some tuber-bearing Solanum hybrids. Hereditas 39: 97–112.
- Marks, G.E., 1954. An aceto-carmine glycerol jelly for use in pollen fertility counts. Stain Tech. 29: 277.
- Peloquin, S.J., 1983. Genetic engineering with meiotic mutants. In: D.L.Mulcahy & E.Ottaviano (Eds), Pollen: Biology and Implication for Plant Breeding. Elsevier, NY, pp. 151–155.
- Propach, H., 1938. Kreuzbarkeit von Solanum-Arten untereinander und mit Kulturkartoffeln und die Fertilität der ßastarde. Forschungsdienst. 6: 311–314.
- Ramanna, M.S. & J.G. Hermsen, Th., 1971. Somatic chromosome elimination and meiotic chromosome pairing in the triple hybrid 6x-(Solanum acaule × S. bulbocastanum) × 2x-S. phureja. Euphytica 20: 470–481.
- Ross, H., 1986. Potato Breeding-Problems and Perspectives. Verlag Paul Parey, Berlin and Hamburg.
- Schmiediche, P.E., J.G. Hawkes & C.M. Ochoa, 1982. The breeding of the cultivated potato species Solanum × juzepczukii and S. × curtilobum. II. The resynthesis of S. × juzepczukii and S. × curtilobum. Euphytica 31: 695–707.
- Spack, V., 1985. Cultivo de ovários, óvulos y embryones de papa. Thesis Msc, Universidad Nacional Agraria, Lima, Peru.
- Swaminathan, M.S., 1954. Nature of polyploidy in some 48 chromosomes species of the genus Solanum section Tuberarium. Genetics 39: 59–76.
- Watanabe, K., 1988. Occurrence, Frequency, Cytology and Genetics of 2n Pollen; and Sexual Polyploidization in tuber-bearing Solanum. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, USA.
- Watanabe, K., C. Arbizu, P.E. Schmiediche & M.T. Jackson, 1990. Germplasm enhancement methods for disomic tetraploid species of Solanum with special references to S. acaule. Am. Potato J. 67: 586.
- Breaking the crossability barriers between disomic tetraploid Solanum acaule and tetrasomic tetraploid S. tuberosum
Volume 52, Issue 3 , pp 183-191
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- tuber-bearing Solanum
- potato wild species germplasm enhancement
- counterfeit pollination
- disomic tetraploid
- embryo rescue
- interspecific hybridization
- Industry Sectors