Is intergeneric hybridization in the Leguminosae possible?
- J. A. McComb
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An exmination was made of the validity of intergeneric legume hybrids listed by Knobloch (Taxon 21:97). Insufficient evidence was found for these supposed crosses, their previous acceptance being due to misleading paper titles, confusion of vegetative with generic hybrids, the occurrence of patrocliny, and misplaced generic boundaries. There is a possibility of hybridization between Pisum and Vicia.
- Ballon, F. B., York, T. L. (1959) Crossing the common and scarlet bean (Phaseolus spp.) with Vigna species. Philipp. Agric. 42: pp. 454-455
- Brewbaker, J. L., Emery, G. C. (1962) Pollen radiobotany. Rad. Bot. 1: pp. 101-154
- Bleier, H. (1928) Karyological research on Lens x Vicia hybrids. Genetica 11: pp. 111-118
- Deodikar, G. B., Thakar, C. V. (1956) Cytotaxonomic evidence for the affinity between Cajanus indicus Spreng and certain erect species of Atylosia W. & A.. Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci. 43: pp. 37-45
- Fam, Ba Fong, 1969. Overcoming incompatibility in the remote hybridization of pea with bean by irradiating the pollen of the paternal form. (Ru.). Sb. rabot molodykh. uchenickh. Vses. selekts.-genet. in-t 69–71.
- Fruwirth, C. (1923) A noteworthy lentil-vetch hybrid. Genetica 5: pp. 481-496
- Grigoreva, N. M., Z. E. Zuzmin & A. V. Lanina, 1968. All Union meeting on distant hybridization in plants and animals. (Ru.). Vestn. selskohoz. Nauk. No. 8: 101–110.
- Hooker, J. D. (1879) The flora of British India. Reeve & Co., Ashford, England
- Knobloch, I. W. (1972) Intergeneric hybridization of flowering plants. Taxon 21: pp. 97-104
- Knox, R. B., Willing, R. B., Ashford, A. E. (1972) Role of pollen wall proteins as recognition substances in interspecific incompatibility in poplars. Nature 237: pp. 381-383
- Kumar, L. S. S., Thombre, M. V., D'Cruz, R. (1958) Cytological studies of an intergeneric hybrid of Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp. and Atylosia lineata W. & A.. Proc. Indian Acad. Sci. (B) 47: pp. 252-262
- Mackie, W. W., Smith, F. L. (1935) Evidence of field hybridization in beans. J. Am. Soc. Agron. 27: pp. 903-909
- McComb, J. A. (1974) New techniques for plant breeding. J. Aust. Inst. agric. Sci. 40: pp. 3-10
- Novikov, V. V. (1940) Pea-bean hybrids. (Ru.). Jarovizaciza 3: pp. 106-118
- Roy, A., De, N. D. (1965) Intergeneric hybridization of Cajanus and Atylosia. Sci. Cult. 31: pp. 93-95
- Saginadze, G. V. (1961) Hybridization of Phaseolus vulgaris (L.) Savi x Glycine hispida (Moench.) Maz. Preliminary communication. Tbilisskii Bot. Inst. Trudy 21: pp. 301-8
- Saginadze, G. V. (1967) Nature of morphogenetic processes in remote hybridization of some pulses. Trans. Bot. Inst. Acad. Sci. Georgian SSR: (Ser. cult. Flora) 25: pp. 48-71
- Sasonkina, M. M. (1935) Intergeneric hybridization of leguminous plants by the method of I. V. Michurin. Preliminary communication. Trudy Sel'skokhozjaistvennoi Akademii im. K. A. Timirjazeva 1: pp. 141-156
- Sobolev, N. A., Adamchuk, G. K., Zhila, E. D. (1970) Apomixis in peas. Nauka, Moscow USSR
- Sobolev, N. A., Agarkova, S. N., Adamchuk, G. K. (1971) Overcoming incompatibility between pea and broad bean. II. Characteristics of progeny raised from seeds in pea-bean crosses. Nauch. tr. VN11 zernobob. kultur. 3: pp. 147-156
- Sobolev, N. A., Agarkova, S. N., Adamchuk, G. K. (1971) Overcoming cross incompatibility between pea and broad beans. 1. The effect of X irradiation on incompatibility. Nauch. tr. VN11 zernobob. kultur. 3: pp. 136-146
- Sobolev, N. A., Bugrii, V. P. (1970) A spontaneous intergeneric hybrid in the vetch tribe and its characteristics. Kolos, Moscow, USSR
- Sobolev, N. A., Zhila, E. D., Adamchuk, G. K. (1968) Intergeneric hybridization in the Vicieae tribe. Kolos, Moscow, USSR
- Sokolskaja, B., 1966. Production of a pea with a resistant stem. (Ru.). Selekcija i Semenovodstvo No. 3: 46–48.
- Stanton, W. R. (1964) Draft report on the work of the grain legume section for 1961. Reg. Res. Stn. Min. Agric., Sawan (Nigeria)
- Stegajlo, T. A. (1963) Certain laws governing the transmission of parental characters in crosses between pea and vetch From: What is new in methodology of breeding fields beans, peas and vetches. Sel'hozizdat, Moscow
- Stettler, R. F. (1968) Irradiated mentor pollen: its use in remote hybridization of black cotton wood. Nature 219: pp. 746-747
- Sulga, P. M. (1962) Extend the use of vegetative hybridization in breeding grain legumes. Selekcija i Semenovodstvo 27: pp. 46-48
- Sulga, P. M. (1964) Vegetative hybridization of forage plants. Science for agriculture. Plant growing. Selhozizdat, Moscow
- Tsitsin, N. V. (1946) Studies on vegetative and sexual hybridization between herbaceous and woody plants. Trudy Zonal. Inst. Zernovovo Khoziaistva Nechernozemnoi Polosy SSSR 13: pp. 13-31
- Tsitsin, N. V., 1947/8. Peas growing on trees—New results of hybridization. (Germ.). Universum (5): 97–98.
- Yarnell, S. H. (1965) Cytogenics of vegetable crops. IV. Legumes ctd. Bot. Rev. 31: pp. 247-330
- Verdcourt, B. (1970) Studies in the Leguminosae-Papilionoideae for the ‘Flora of Tropical East Africa’. IV. Kew Bull. 24: pp. 507-569
- Zadrazil, K. (1960) Cocak—a vetch with lentil-like seeds as an edible legume and as a forage plant. Sborn. csl. Akad. zemed. Ved.: Rada rostlinna Vyroba 33: pp. 631-638
- Zhila, E. D., 1966. Use of γ irradiation to overcome incompatibility between leguminous crops. (Ru.). Nauc. Trud. Vses. nauc.-issled. Inst. zernobob. Kult. (Sci. Trans. All-Un. sci-res. Inst., Inst. Pulse Crops) No. 1: 70–76.
- Is intergeneric hybridization in the Leguminosae possible?
Volume 24, Issue 2 , pp 497-502
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- J. A. McComb (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Agronomy, University of Western Australia, 6009, Nedlands, W.A., Australia