Functional elements of the Arabidopsis Adh promoter include the G-box
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The alcohol dehydrogenase (Adh) gene of Arabidopsis is expressed constitutively in immature seedlings and cells in suspension, and may be induced by hypoxic stress only in roots of mature plants. Deletions and G-box mutations of the Adh promoter were assayed in Arabidopsis protoplasts by PEG-mediated transient expression. Sequence domains necessary for full gene activity are confined to the 384 bp immediately 5′ to the transcription start site, and deletion to −177 results in >90% reduction in promoter activity. Site-specific mutations of G-box bases result in >60% reduction in activity and disrupt G-box factor binding in vitro.
- Chang C, Meyerowitz EM: Molecular cloning and DNA sequence of the Arabidopsis thaliana Adh gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 83: 1208–1212 (1986).
- Damm B, Willmitzer L: Regeneration of fertile plants from protoplasts of different Arabidopsis thaliana genotypes. Mol Gen Genet 213: 15–20 (1988).
- Delisle AJ, Ferl RJ: Characterization of the Arabidopsis Adh G-box binding factor. Plant Cell 2: 547–557 (1990). CrossRef
- Dolferus R, Jacobs M: Another ADH system...from Arabidopsis thaliana: an overview. Maydica 36: 169–187 (1991).
- Ferl RJ, Brennan M, Schwartz D: In vitro translation of maize ADH: evidence for the anaerobic induction of mRNA. Biochem Genet 18: 681–691 (1980).
- Ferl RJ, Laughner BH: In vivo detection of regulatory factor binding sites of Arabidopsis thaliana Adh. Plant Mol Biol 12: 357–366 (1989). CrossRef
- Gerlach WL, Pryor AJ, Dennis ES, Ferl RJ, Sachs MM, Peacock WJ: cDNA cloning and induction of the alcohol dehydrogenase gene (Adh1) of maize. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 79: 2981–2985 (1982).
- Giuliano G, Pichersky E, Malik VS, Timko MP, Scolnik PA, Cashmore AR: An evolutionarily conserved protein binding sequence upstream of a plant light regulated gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 85: 7089–7093 (1988).
- Hageman RH, Flesher D: The effect of an anaerobic environment on the activity of alcohol dehydrogenase and other enzymes of corn seedlings. Arch Biochem Biophys 87: 203–209 (1960).
- Howell S, Ow D, Schneider M: Use of the firefly luciferase gene as a reporter of gene expression in plants. In: Gelvin SB, Schilperoort RA (eds) Plant Molecular Biology Manual B8: 1–11. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, Netherlands (1989).
- Jefferson RA: Assaying chimeric genes in plants: the GUS gene fusion system. Plant Mol Biol Rep 5: 397–405 (1987).
- Kunkel T, Roberts J, Zakour R: Rapid and efficient site-specific mutagenesis without phenotypic selection. Meth Enzymol 154: 367–382 (1987).
- McKendree W, Paul A-L, DeLisle A, Ferl R: In vivo and in vitro characterization of protein interactions with the dyad G-box of the Arabidopsis Adh gene. Plant Cell 2: 207–214 (1990). CrossRef
- Negrutiu I, Shillito R, Potrykus I, Biasini G, Sala F: Hybrid genes in the analysis of transformation conditions. Plant Mol Biol 8: 363–373 (1987).
- Ow DW, Wood KV, DeLuca M, deWet JR, Helinski DR, Howell SH: Transient and stable expression of the firefly luciferase gene in plant cells and transgenic plants. Science 234: 856–859 (1986).
- Schwartz D: The genetic control of alcohol dehydrogenase in maize: gene duplication and repression. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 56: 1431 (1966).
- Valvekens D, Van Montagu M, Lijsebettens M: Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated transformation of Arabidopsis root explants using kanamycin selection. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 85: 5536–5540 (1988).
- Walker JC, Howard EA, Dennis ES, Peacock WJ: DNA sequences required for anaerobic expression of the maize alcohol dehydrogenase 1 gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 84: 6624–6628 (1987).
- Functional elements of the Arabidopsis Adh promoter include the G-box
Plant Molecular Biology
Volume 19, Issue 5 , pp 859-862
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- cis-DNA element
- Industry Sectors