Identification and characterization of a hypoxically induced maize lactate dehydrogenase gene
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In cereal root tissue, hypoxia induces the enzyme lactate dehydrogenase (LDH); (S)-lactate:NADH oxidoreductase, EC 22.214.171.124). In barley, both biochemical and genetic data indicate that five isozymes are induced under hypoxia. These isozymes are tetramers and arise from the random association of the products of two Ldh genes. The induction of LDH activity in root tissue has been shown to be correlated to an increase in LDH protein and Ldh mRNA.
In order to more fully characterize the hypoxic induction of LDH, we have isolated a maize Ldh genemic clone which has strong homology at both the amino acid and nucleotide level to the barley LDH cDNA clones. The Ldh1 gene consists of two exons separated by a 296 bp intron, has the expected eukaryotic regulatory signals and a sequence that has strong homology to the maize anaerobic regulatory element.
- Davies DD: Anaerobic metabolism and the production of organic acids. In: Davies DD (ed) The Biochemistry of Plants, Vol 2, pp. 581–611. Academic Press, New York (1980).
- Fleenor D, Spell M, Robertson D, Wessler S: Nucleotide sequence of the maize mutator element, Mu8. Nucl Acids Res 18: 6725 (1990).
- Fukasawa KM, Li S S-L: Complete nucleotide sequence of the mouse lactate dehydrogenase-A functional gene: comparison of the exon-intron organization of dehydrogenase genes. Genetics 116: 99–105 (1987).
- Gerlach WL, Pryor AJ, Dennis ES, Ferl RJ, Sachs MS, Peacock WJ. cDNA cloning and induction of the alcohol dehydrogenase gene (Adh1) of maize. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 79: 2981–2985 (1982).
- Good AG, Crosby WL. Induction of alcohol dehydrogenase and lactate dehydrogenase in hypoxically induced barley. Plant Physiol 90: 860–866 (1989).
- Good AG, Crosby WL. Anaerobic induction of alanine aminotransferase in barley root tissue. Plant Physiol 90: 1305–1309 (1989).
- Hake S, Kelley PM, Taylor WC, Freeling M: Coordinate induction of alcohol dehydrogenase 1, aldolase, and other anaerobic RNAs in maize. J Biol Chem 260: 5050–5054 (1985).
- Hanley BA, Schuler MA: Plant intron sequences: evidence for distinct groups on introns. Nucl Acids Res 16: 7159–7175 (1988).
- Hoffman NE, Bent AF, Hanson AD: Induction of lactate dehydrogenase isozymes by oxygen deficit in barley root tissue. Plant Physiol 82: 658–663 (1986).
- Hoffman NE, Hondred D, Hanson AD, Brown AHD: Lactate dehydrogenase isozymes in barley: polymorphism and genetic basis. J Hered 79: 110–114 (1988).
- Hondred D, Hanson AD: Hypoxically inducible barley lactate dehydrogenase: cDNA cloning and molecular analysis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 87: 7300–7304 (1990).
- Joshi CP: Putative polyadenylation signals in nuclear genes of higher plants: a compilation and analysis. Nucl Acids Res 15: 9627–9640 (1987).
- Kelley PM, Freeling M. Anaerobic expression of maize glucose phosphate isomerase I. J Biol Chem 259: 673–677 (1984).
- Kelley PM, Freeling M: Anaerobic expression of maize fructose 1,6-diphosphate aldolase. J Biol Chem 259: 14180–14183 (1984).
- Lazlo A, St Lawrence P: Parallel induction and synthesis of PDC and ADH in anoxic maize roots. Mol Gen Genet 192: 110–117 (1983). CrossRef
- Olive MR, Walker JC, Singh K, Dennis ES, Peacock WJ: Functional properties of the anaerobic responsive element of the maize Adhl gene. Plant Mol Biol 15: 593–604 (1990). CrossRef
- McElfresh KC, Chourey PS: Anaerobiosis induces transcription but not translation of sucrose synthase in maize. Plant Physiol 87: 542–546 (1988).
- Pearson WR, Lipman DJ: Improved tools for biological sequence comparison. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 85: 2444–2448 (1988).
- Rowland LJ, Strommer JN: Anaerobic treatment of maize roots affects transcription and transcript stability. Mol Cell Biol 6: 3368–3372 (1986).
- Sachs M, Freeling M, Okimoto R: The anaerobic proteins of maize. Cell 20: 761–767 (1980).
- Sambrook J, Fritsch EF, Maniatis T: Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual, 2nd ed. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, NY (1989).
- Walker JC, Howard EA, Dennis ES, Peacock WJ: DNA sequences required for anaerobic expression of the maize alcohol dehydrogenase 1 gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 84: 6624–6628 (1987).
- Walker JC, Llewellyn DJ, Mitchell LE, Dennis ES: Anaerobically regulated gene expression; molecular adaptations of plants for survival under flooded conditions. Oxford Surv Plant Mol Cell Biol 4: 71–93 (1987).
- Zulli F, Weber H, Zuber H: Nucleotide sequences of lactate dehydrogenase genes from the thermophilic bacteria Bacillus stearothermophilus, B. caldolyticus and B. caldotenax. Biol Chem Hoppe-Seyler 368: 1167–1177 (1987).
- Identification and characterization of a hypoxically induced maize lactate dehydrogenase gene
Plant Molecular Biology
Volume 19, Issue 4 , pp 693-697
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- lactate dehydrogenase
- anaerobic regulatory element
- Industry Sectors