Larval development and survivorship in the corals Favia favus and Platygyra lamellina
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Two Red Sea faviid species, Favia favus and Platygyra lamellina spawn eggs and sperm once a year, during the summer. External fertilization occurs 0.5 h after spawning, and mobile gastrulae appear 20 h later. Four stages in the early ontogenesis of these corals are described. The slow development (2–3 months) to the polyp stage in broadcasting species is attributed to the lack of zooxanthellae in their planulae and their appearance in the primary polyp only at a later stage. Survivorship of one-month-old primary polyps is ca 0.21% and 0.25% in F. favus and P. lamellina respectively, from the populations of 2–9-day-old planulae. Despite these low rates of survival, both species form dense populations in the Gulf of Eilat.
- Atoda, K., 1947a. The larva and postlarval development of some reef building corals: I. Pocillopora damicornis. Sci. Rep. Tohôku Univ. (Ser. 4, Biol.) 18: 24–47.
- Atoda, K., 1947b. The larva and postlarval development of some reef building corals: II. Stylophora pistillata. Sci. Rep. Tohôku Univ. (Ser. 4, Biol.) 18: 48–64.
- Atoda, K., 1951. The larva and postlarval development of some reef building corals: V. Seriatopora hystrix. Sci. Rep. Tohôku Univ. (Ser. 4, Biol.) 19: 33–40.
- Babcock, R. C., 1984. Reproduction and distribution of two species of Goniastrea (Scleractinia) from the Great Barrier Reef province. Coral Reefs 2: 187–204.
- Babcock, R. C., 1985. Growth and mortality in juvenile corals (Goniastrea, Platygyra and Acropora) the first year. Proc. 5th int. Coral Reef Symp. 4: 355–360.
- Babcock, R. C. & A. J. Heyward, 1986. Larvae development of certain gamete-spawning scleractinian corals. Coral Reefs 5: 111–116.
- Fadlallah, Y. H., 1983. Sexual reproduction, development and larval biology in scleractinian corals. A review. Coral Reefs 2: 129–150.
- Harrison, P. L., R. C. Babcock, G. D. Bull, J. K. Oliver, C. C. Wallace & B. L. Willis, 1984. Mass spawning in tropical reef corals. Science, N.Y. 223: 1186–1189.
- Heyward, A. J., K. Yamazato, T. Yeemin & M. Minei, 1987. Sexual reproduction of corals in Okinawa. Galaxea 6: 331–343.
- Kojis, B. L. & N. J. Quinn, 1981. Aspects of sexual reproduction and larval development in the shallow water hermatypic coral Goniastrea australensis (Edwards & Haime, 1857). Bull. mar. Sci. 31: 558–573.
- Kojis, B. L. & N. J. Quinn, 1982. Reproductive ecology of two faviid corals (Coelenterata: Scleractinia). Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 8: 251–255.
- Le Tissier, M. D'A. A., 1988. Patterns of formation and ultrastructure of the larval skeleton of Pocillopora damicornis. Mar. Biol. 98: 493–501.
- Loya, Y., 1972. Community structure and species diversity of hermatypic corals at Eilat, Red Sea. Mar. Biol. 13: 100–123.
- Mergner, H., 1971. Cnidaria. In G. Reverberi (ed.), Experimental embryology of marine and fresh water invertebrates. Elsevier/North Holland Biomedical Press, Amsterdam: 1–84.
- Richmond, R., 1982. Energetic considerations in the dispersal of Pocillopora damicornis planulae. Proc. 4th int. Coral Reef Symp. 2: 132–156.
- Rinkevich, B. & Y. Loya, 1979. The reproduction of the Red Sea coral Stylophora pistillata I. Gonads and planulae. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 1: 133–144.
- Shlesinger, Y., 1985. Reproduction and juvenile growth in stony corals. Ph.D. thesis, Univ. of Tel-Aviv.
- Shlesinger, Y. & Y. Loya, 1985. Coral community reproductive patterns: Red Sea versus the Great Barrier Reef. Science, N.Y. 228: 1333–1335.
- Simoncini, L., M. L. Block & W. J. Moody, 1988. Lineage specific development of calcium currents during embryogenesis. Science, N.Y. 242: 1572–1574.
- Szmant-Froelich, A., P. Yevich & M. E. Q. Pilson, 1980. Gametogenesis and early development of the temperate coral Astrangia danae. Biol. Bull. 188: 257–269.
- Vandermeulen, J. H. & D. N. Watabe, 1973. Studies on reef corals: I. Skeleton formation by newly settled planula larva of Pocillopora damicornis. Mar. Biol. 23: 47–57.
- Larval development and survivorship in the corals Favia favus and Platygyra lamellina
Volume 216-217, Issue 1 , pp 101-108
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- planular development
- Red Sea
- Industry Sectors