Abundance and spatial distribution of Artemia salina in Lake Abert, Oregon
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In 1981–1982 Abert Lake had an area of 200 km2, with a mean depth of 2.5 m and a total dissolved salt concentration of 82 gl-1. The spatial distribution and abundance of the brine shrimp, Artemia salina, were monitored for 1981–1982. In 1981 during the midsummer months, with sampling primarily in the eastern side of Abert Lake, brine shrimp populations showed peak densities of 2–4 ind. 1-1. In 1982, peak abundance occurred in early July and ranged between 5–8 ind. 1-1. Lakewide estimates of brine shrimp derived from 14 collecting stations and assuming a uniform distribution over the lake resulted in estimates of lakewide abundance of 3 × 1011 adults with a total biomass of 7 × 106 kg. The major algal species in the lake was a benthic filamentous green alga (Ctenocladus circinnatus).
- Bellrose, F. C., 1976. Ducks, geese and swans of North America (2nd). Stackpole Books, Harrisburg, PA. 544 pp.
- Boula, K. M. & R. L. Jarvis, 1984. Foraging ecology of fall-migrating waterbirds, Lake Abert. Dept. of Fish. and Wildlife, Ore. St. Univ. Spec. Rpt., 29 pp.
- Conte, F. P., R. Jellison & G. L. Schnoor, 1987. Abundance and spatial distribution of brine shrimp Artemia monica in Mono Lake, California. Hydrobiologia. This volume.
- Cooper, S. D., D. W. Winkler & P. H. Lenz, 1984. The effect of Grebe predation on a brine shrimp Artemia monica population. J. Animal Ecol. 53: 52–64.
- Herbst, D., 1980. Ecological physiology of the larval fly, Ephydra hians, an alkaline salt lake inhabiting ephyrdrid (Diptera). M.S. Thesis, Oregon State University. 65 pp.
- Hutchinson, G. E., 1957. A treatise on limnology. Vol. 1. J. Wiley and Sons, N.Y. 320 pp.
- Malone, B. G. & D. J. McQueen, 1983. Horizontal patchiness in zooplankton populations in two Ontario kettle lakes. Hydrobiologia 99: 101–124.
- Phillips, K. N. & A. S. VanDenburgh, 1971. Hydrology and geochemistry of Abert, Summer, and Goose Lakes and other closed-basin lakes in southcentral Oregon. U.S. Geol. Survey Prof. Paper 502-B. 86 pp.
- Pielou, E. C., 1977. Mathematical Ecology. J. Wiley and Son, N.Y., 385 pp.
- VanDenburgh, A. S., 1975. Solute balance at Abert and Summer lakes, southcentral Oregon. U.S. Geol. Survey Prof. Paper 502-C. 29 pp.
- Abundance and spatial distribution of Artemia salina in Lake Abert, Oregon
Volume 158, Issue 1 , pp 167-172
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Lake Abert
- salt lake
- Industry Sectors