Whole-stream phosphorus release studies: variation in uptake length with initial phosphorus concentration
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A new dual channel flow injection analyser that can simultaneously analyse soluble reactive phosphorus and bromide in the field, has been used in an experiment to test the hypothesis that the phosphorus uptake length in Myrtle Creek, a small forested stream in the Australian Highlands, is influenced by the initial phosphorus concentration used in whole-stream release studies. The phosphorus uptake length was found to decrease with decreasing initial phosphorus concentration added; the uptake length was 98 m when an initial P concentration of 51.0 µg 1−1 was used, 90 m with 21.7 µg 1−1 and 63 m with 12.7 µg 1−1. The estimated errors in the uptake lengths were 6–8%. Approximately 32% of the added phosphorus was retained in the 32 m study reach, with almost all (ca. 93%) of this retained phosphorus taken up by the sediments (microbial uptake plus physico-chemical adsorption) and only a small amount retained in transient storage zones.
- Anagnostopoulou, P. I. & M. A. Koupparis, 1986. Automated flow-injection phenol red method for the determination of bromide and bromide salts in drugs. Analyt. Chem. 58: 322–326.
- Bevington, P. R., 1969. Data Reduction and Error Analysis for the Physical Sciences. McGraw Hill, Sydney.
- Boulton, A. J. & P. S. Lake, 1990. The ecology of two intermittent streams in Victoria, Australia. I. Multivariate analysis of physicochemical features, Freshwat. Biol. 24: 123–141.
- Campbell, I. C., K. R. James, B. T. Hart & A. Devereaux, 1991. Processing coarse particulate organic material in forest and pasture reaches of two south eastern Australian streams, I. Litter accession. Freshwat. Biol. (in press).
- Clinch, J. R., P. J. Worsfold & H. Casey, 1987. An automated spectrophotometric field monitor for water quality parameters. Determination of nitrate Analyt. Chim. Acta 200 523–531.
- Elwood, J. W., J. D. Newbold, R. V. O'Neill & W. Van Winkle, 1983. Resource spiralling: an operational paradigm for analysing lotic ecosystems. In T. D. Fontine & S. M. Bartell (eds), Dynamics of Lotic Ecosystems, Ann Arbor Sci. Publ., Ann Arbor.
- Freeman, P. R., I. D. McKelvie, B. T. Hart & T. J. Cardwell, 1990. A flow injection analysis method for determination of low levels of phosphorus in natural waters. Analyt. Chim. Acta. 234: 409–416.
- Freeman, P. R., B. T. Hart & I. D. McKelvie, 1992. A dual channel FIA method for determination of low levels of phosphorus and bromide in natural waters. Analyt. Chim. Acta. (submitted).
- Froelich, P. N., 1988. Kinetic control of dissolved phosphate in natural rivers and estuaries: A primer on the phosphate buffer mechanism. Limnol. Oceanog. 33: 649–668.
- Hart, B. T., P. Freeman, I. D. McKelvie, S. Pearse & D. G. Ross, 1990. Phosphorus spiralling in Myrtle Creek, Victoria, Australia. Verh. int. Ver. Limnol. 24: 2065–2070.
- Hart, B. T., P. Freeman, 1. D. McKelvie & S. Pearse, 1991. Phosphorus uptake in Myrtle Creek, Australia. Freshwat. Res. (submitted).
- Lake, P. S., 1982. Ecology of the macroinvertebrates of Australian upland streams — A review of current knowledge, Bull. Aust. Soc. Limnology 8: 1–15.
- McDowell, W. H. & G. E. Likens, 1988. Origin, composition and flux of dissolved organic carbon in the Hubbard Brook valley. Ecol. Monographs 58: 177–195.
- McKelvie, I. D., B. T. Hart, T. J. Cardwell & R. W. Cattrall, 1989. Spectrophotometric determination of dissolved organic phosphorus in natural waters using in-line photo-oxidation and flow injection. Analyst 114: 1459–1463.
- McMahon, T. A., B. L. Finlayson, A. T. Haines & R. Srikanthan, 1991. Global Runoff. Continential Comparison of Annual Flow and Peak Discharges, Catena, Kemlinger, Germany.
- Meyer, J. L., 1986. Dissolved organic carbon dynamics in two subtropical blackwater rivers. Arch. Hydrobiol. 108: 119–134.
- Meyer, J. L., 1990. A blackwater perspective on riverine ecosystems. BioScience 40: 643–650.
- Meyer, J. L. & G. E. Likens, 1981. Transport and transformation of phosphorus in a forest stream ecosystem. Ecology 60: 1255–1269.
- Meyer, J. L., W. H. McDowell, T. L. Bott, J. W. Elwood, C. Ishizaki, J. M. Melack, B. L. Peckarsky, B. J. Peterson & P. A. Rublee, 1988. Elemental dynamics in streams. J. N. Am. Benthol. Soc. 7: 410–432.
- Mulholland, P. J., A. D. Steinman & J. W. Elwood, 1990. Measurement of phosphorus uptake length in streams: comparison of radiotracer and stable PO4 releases, Can. J. Fish. aquat. Sci. 47: 2351–2357.
- Mulholland, P. J., J. D. Newbold, J. W. Elwood, L. A. Ferren & J. R. Webster, 1985. Phosphorus spiralling in a woodland stream: Seasonal variations. Ecology 66: 1012–1023.
- Newbold, J. D., J. W. Elwood, R. V. O'Neill & V. Van Winkle, 1981. Measuring nutrient spiralling in streams. Can. J. Fish. aquat. Sci. 38: 860–863.
- Newbold, J. D., J. W. Elwood, R. V. O'Neill & A. L. Sheldon, 1983a. Phosphorus dynamics in a woodland stream ecosystem: a study of nutrient spiralling. Ecology 64: 1249–1265.
- Newbold, J. D., J. W. Elwood, M. S. Schulze, R. W. Stark & J. C. Barmeier, 1983b. Continuous ammonium enrichment of a woodland stream: Uptake kinetics, leaf decomposition and nitrification. Freshwat. Biol. 13: 193–204.
- Newbold, J. D., P. J. Mulholland, J. W. Elwood & R. V. O'Neill, 1982. Organic carbon spiralling in stream ecosystems. Oikos 38: 266–272.
- Richey, J. S., W. H. McDowell & G. E. Likens, 1985. Nitrogen transformations in a small mountain stream. Hydrobiol. 124: 129–139.
- Ruzicka, J. & E. H. Hansen, 1988. Flow Injection Analysis, 2nd edn. Wiley Interscience, New York.
- Triska, F. J., V. C. Kennedy, R. J. Avanzino, G. W. Zellweger & K. E. Bencala, 1989a. Retention and transport of nutrients in a third-order stream in northwestern California: Hyporheic processes. Ecology 70: 1893–1905.
- Triska, F. J., V. C. Kennedy, R. J. Avanzino, G. W. Zellweger & K. E. Bencala, 1989b. Retention and transport of nutrients in a third-order stream: Channel processes. Ecology 70: 1877–1892.
- Stream Solute Workshop, 1990. Concepts and methods for assessing solute dynamics in stream ecosystems. J. N. Am. Benthol. Soc. 9: 95–119.
- Worsfold, P. J., J. R. Clinch & H. Casey, 1987. Spectrophotometric field monitor for water quality parameters. The determination of phosphate. Analyt. chim. Acta 197: 43–50.
- Whole-stream phosphorus release studies: variation in uptake length with initial phosphorus concentration
Volume 235-236, Issue 1 , pp 573-584
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- uptake length
- flow injection analysis
- Industry Sectors